Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I am a newbie and I did my third manicure with gelish today. I used Bella's Vampire and while I LOVE the color (2 coats) the application leaves something to be desired :smile:

Just wondering if you all got better the more you did this, or should I just give up? It's liveable, but I just can't seem to get it to go on in thin layers! So my last one lasted 8 days before lifting. That's great, but I was really hoping for longer. I'm hoping I just need to be patient and I will get better at it.

Be patient. I'm sure you will get better! Try practicing on someone if you can. For me, I get a lot of growth and am ready to change colors after a week.

So now I am so frustrated because I just bought this LED Better light from China. How many minutes worked for you? I keep spending money on lights. I guess should just keep saving my money and go for the real expensive kind (like Harmony's)! I have only used it twice and it is no better than the one I bought on ebay last January. Should I get better bulbs? Is this not really a LED light?

I found the best way for me to use the Better LED is to raise the tips of my fingers slightly in the lamp rathe than lay them flat. Otherwise it wasn't curing the free edge properly. Alternatively you can recur the ends with you hand upside down and fingers curled. I also found it really better to either do thumbs separately, or do the thumb on the opposite hand with your other fingers, so you can position it better. I do use longer times though... 30 seconds for the base and 60 for all other coats. I've had no trouble since I started doing that.

I found the best way for me to use the Better LED is to raise the tips of my fingers slightly in the lamp rathe than lay them flat. Otherwise it wasn't curing the free edge properly.

Perfect. I'm definitely going to try that. BTW, you are the one who recommended the LED light when I couldn't possibly imagine that it would save time over the UV lamp. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't figure out how it save sooo much time, but it does.

I was the one that got a big toolbox and I LOVE it! It's called a Stanley Fat Max, and it has room for my UV tunnel lamp, my bendy-neck desk lamp, tall bottles of acetone and alcohol, polishes, cotton balls, nail wipes, and a handy little tray for nail files, manicure sticks, etc. It also has wheels and a handle like a rolling carryon suitcase. When I'm ready to do a mani, I just wheel it out to my dining room, open it up and everything I need is right there. It's one of my best investments! Hubby is jealous and says his testosterone level dropped significantly since I got a better toolbox than he has!:roflmfao:
Ok. I'm thinking about going middle of the road with a smaller of the stanley rolling toolboxes. Where do you store it? I think the one I'm considering is 2' a little larger than my bathroom cabinets where I currently store it.... maybe the linen closet? Sorry to hear about your husband :graucho:

Ok. I'm thinking about going middle of the road with a smaller of the stanley rolling toolboxes. Where do you store it? I think the one I'm considering is 2' a little larger than my bathroom cabinets where I currently store it.... maybe the linen closet? Sorry to hear about your husband :graucho:

It's definitely too big for a cabinet. I just stash it in my bedroon closet - it's a walk-in so I have some floor space in there. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Next job: finding a way to store everything.... I'm thinking about buying a big toolbox. I saw that in another thread here on PF.

I've also got the Fat Max. Here's a link to the Canadian Home Depot...it has a couple of pictures. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/fatmax-4-in-1-rolling-workshop/900268 It's cheaper in the US....only $69.99, I think.
Here is a so-so picture of mine. The toolbox is quite large but holds everything...tall acetone/alcohol bottles, led lamp, magnifying lamp...etc. And the top section of the toolbox has a removable tray which is shown in my picture sitting on the flipped open lid.

Attachments

• polishbox-2.jpg
    polishbox-2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,300
Next job: finding a way to store everything.... I'm thinking about buying a big toolbox. I saw that in another thread here on PF.

I love that Fat Max!

I got this Busy Box from The Container Store - it's really for toy storage (but how appropriate is that?!). It's about two feet high and the three levels lets me organize all my bottles, containers , implements, towels, cotton balls. I keep my polishes, separated by brand, in Handy Boxes in the top level. I store it all in the linen closet and wheel the whole shebang back in when I'm done.

Attachments

• BusyBox_xl.jpg
    BusyBox_xl.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • HandyBoxesAll_l.jpg
    HandyBoxesAll_l.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,119
I've also got the Fat Max. Here's a link to the Canadian Home Depot...it has a couple of pictures. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/fatmax-4-in-1-rolling-workshop/900268 It's cheaper in the US....only $69.99, I think.
Here is a so-so picture of mine. The toolbox is quite large but holds everything...tall acetone/alcohol bottles, led lamp, magnifying lamp...etc. And the top section of the toolbox has a removable tray which is shown in my picture sitting on the flipped open lid.

Don't you love it? It is $69.99 here at Home Depot, but I got a deal on mine. When I went in the store they only had one, and the guy said the handle was broken so they were going to mark it as damaged and put it in the back. I figured I could still use it even if the pull out handle wouldn't stay extended, so I asked him if he could sell it to me at a discount. I got it for $50 and when we got home hubby figured out a little spring had just come loose on one side so he just popped it back on and it's good as new! It was never actually "broken" in the first place! :cool:

What's a good nude/buttery color in the gelish? Like the popular nude creme colors right now? No pearl, no shimmer, very opaque etc? Has anyone tried those colors yet?
Need a Tan is the closest color in Gelish matching that description. Someone mention Medieval Madness which is more of a taupey gray.

There isn't a great creme nude in Gelish - Buck Naked in Geleration is the perfect color for what you are looking for, but everyone who has used it has had nightmarish experiences. It bubbles and wrinkles.

It looks like in Artistic Colour Gloss' new line up that there is a nice nude creme - Caffeine, but I haven't seen it swatched yet.
I have Buck Naked and have never had any problems with it. It's a nice nude for darker skintones. Geleration also just came out with Stark Naked, which is a lighter nude.

Yes, there are about 5 nudish colors in the new Artistic Colour Gloss line. I don't have any of them, but find that the color chart is very similar to the colors in real-life. I love all thing nudes so I'll be getting them all as soon as my budget allows.

I've been following but not posting for many a moon - however, still visit and get inspiration from you women. Love the organizational stuff - any body that loves little compartments lusts after that info!

Had Gelish manicure at local salon recently. French that lasts and lasts. Still like the home option, but love the salon option also - especially for French. Also noted that Sally's Beauty is now selling mini versions - not as economical as other sources, but great for a quick pickup.

Just checking in and offering admiration - don't you just love being a girl!

I wish I could store all my stuff in something lime the fat max or some other cart. Because I have to shlepp it all over to the house of the one persons nails I do though it doesn't really make sense for me :sad:

Ferretkingdom... I've been thread stalking you. You have so many different colors and pics of nails. Are the pics all of your nails? If so, how often do you do your nails?

I'm determined to make this manicure last for 2 weeks. Oh, the polish will hold it, it is just my will power for wanting to try a new color!!

Status
Not open for further replies.