What is the exact year LV stopped using real brass?

Dec 17, 2010
I searched and didn't find a thread. If several exist please post links and close this thread.

I want to buy the "newest" vintage speedy 25 that will have the sold brass hardware. Anyone know about what year they stopped using real brass? Is there a way to look at a bag and tell if it has real brass? I assume real brass won't show any chipping or discoloration?

Reactions: Arachne911
I was under the impression that they still did use brass.

Since brass is an alloy perhaps that creates the differences in appearance. Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass explains the different metal compositions the make brass.

I know that my Suhali Lockit's lock for example is brighter and more mirror like than say the lock that came on my Epi Alma. Both brass.

Some of the hardware is brass; some is not. For instance, inventeur plates are not. Zippers on some of the bags and wallets are coated metal now rather than brass. It just depends on the item. I believe the hardware on speedies (where the chads attach) are still brass.

Some of the hardware is brass; some is not. For instance, inventeur plates are not. Zippers on some of the bags and wallets are coated metal now rather than brass. It just depends on the item. I believe the hardware on speedies (where the chads attach) are still brass.
Thanks! I noticed that the zipper pull on my new ebene speedy is peeling so that appears to be coated metal. I want to find an older speedy that has a brass zipper.

Thanks! I noticed that the zipper pull on my new ebene speedy is peeling so that appears to be coated metal. I want to find an older speedy that has a brass zipper.

You can have them put in a brass zipper if you know your SA well enough. I had mine put a brass zipper on my daughters zippy wallet. They do have them because they use them on their higher end items (Suhali and the like). I also had my Tulum PM replaced with a brass zipper. It's not cheap though ($75.00 each for the repair).

Speedy zippers are still brass. The pull is not. But it is free to replace the pull. They do it while you wait at any freestanding boutique.

Reactions: Alfonsca
You can have them put in a brass zipper if you know your SA well enough. I had mine put a brass zipper on my daughters zippy wallet. They do have them because they use them on their higher end items (Suhali and the like). I also had my Tulum PM replaced with a brass zipper. It's not cheap though ($75.00 each for the repair).

Speedy zippers are still brass. The pull is not. But it is free to replace the pull. They do it while you wait at any freestanding boutique.
Really? That would be so awesome if my zipper pull was replaced. Looking at the zipper it is clear that the zipper is brass and the pull is not. Thanks charleston-mom, I knew you'd have great advice! ;)

Really? That would be so awesome if my zipper pull was replaced. Looking at the zipper it is clear that the zipper is brass and the pull is not. Thanks charleston-mom, I knew you'd have great advice! ;)

I actually have all my pulls replaced periodically so they look nice. Just smile and ask nicely. Sometimes you might have to leave it for a few days if it's one of the large pulls and they don't have one handy, but I've never been charged. I've even gotten the chains on my cles's replaced free when they start to turn.

Replace the pull for free? That's really good to know. Charleston-mom, many thanks for sharing.

calipursegal, could you please keep us posted whether you replace your pull? I want to know this service is for some special customers who have good SA relationships, or for everyone. Thanks.

I actually have all my pulls replaced periodically so they look nice. Just smile and ask nicely. Sometimes you might have to leave it for a few days if it's one of the large pulls and they don't have one handy, but I've never been charged. I've even gotten the chains on my cles's replaced free when they start to turn.

useful to know. Thank you.

Vintage:
If you're looking for a Louis Vuitton piece with 100% authentic and pure brass hardware, you'll have to buy a bag, suitcase, or trunk made before 1968.
The transition from brass to plated hardware started in the early 1970s when The French Company, started making Louis Vuitton merchandise (under special license) in the United States. The French Company was the first to use plated hardware over solid brass because of its price difference . Other countries with Vuittons Special License also began substituting brass for cheaper metals.
New:
Otherwise, checking where the piece was made, while in the store, will determine what metal they use.
Today only two countries still use 100% brass hardware; the French and Italian workshops. If the bag was made else-where, its plated or parts are plated.
So check where it's made.

Vintage:
If you're looking for a Louis Vuitton piece with 100% authentic and pure brass hardware, you'll have to buy a bag, suitcase, or trunk made before 1968.
The transition from brass to plated hardware started in the early 1970s when The French Company, started making Louis Vuitton merchandise (under special license) in the United States. The French Company was the first to use plated hardware over solid brass because of its price difference . Other countries with Vuittons Special License also began substituting brass for cheaper metals.
New:
Otherwise, checking where the piece was made, while in the store, will determine what metal they use.
Today only two countries still use 100% brass hardware; the French and Italian workshops. If the bag was made else-where, its plated or parts are plated.

Wow that was so informative! thanks for the info. Now I know why france items are so coveted.

Reactions: Alfonsca
Vintage:
New:
You might be describing special order or LE items, but if it is a mass produced bag like a regular Speedy the hardware should be identical no mater where it is made.
I got a cles less than a year ago and even though it is MIF, and the zipper pull is peeling, so it is a coated metal, not a brass.

Reactions: Cogmarks