My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on TLC

I'm about to sound incredibly innocent & naive now, but how can they live in trailers when they are having these extravagant weddings? I'm sure whatever they are paying for the wedding can be used as a down payment for a house.

I'm about to sound incredibly innocent & naive now, but how can they live in trailers when they are having these extravagant weddings? I'm sure whatever they are paying for the wedding can be used as a down payment for a house.

It's part of their traveler culture to live in trailers. So if you think about it, they actually save money by not having a mortgage. Allowing for an extravagant wedding

there's a nice little trailer park in Malibu :roflmfao:

On a day like today, which is scorching, i could be convinced to live closer to the ocean :P

Thelma must be getting paid as she was driving a nice Mercedes SUV. I am with everyone else: where does the money come from? That animal farm wedding cost a ton! Most of these girls are very pretty with good figures and it is sad to see them so tarted up and tacky. Just my opinion. The Princess Charlene Armani dress is just my taste and there were several girls on this show that would have looked great in it. I get it, it is not their look.

The overall take home message that troubles me is that these girls are consumed by this type of wedding and after their marriage, it may be one of the only truly happy things that they can hold onto for the rest of their days. How sad.

We tried to talk about where the money comes from in this thread before and some of us got warnings.

I think Thelma has the last laugh, she's making a killing off the travellers!

The girl in this last episode had one of the worse spray tans ever, she looked dirty !

And does anyone else think the 'mini brides' are downright creepy?

Yes, i definitely think the mini-brides are creepy and the way they tart up such little girls reminds me of the beauty pageants. Those dresses are costing a fortune too. It just reinforces the concept of the over the top wedding to a young child.

I think that Thelma was the driving force behind the entire show. I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg. Did a producer approach her or did she go to the TV people with the idea. Either way, it has amped up her business.

Yes, i definitely think the mini-brides are creepy and the way they tart up such little girls reminds me of the beauty pageants. Those dresses are costing a fortune too. It just reinforces the concept of the over the top wedding to a young child.

I think that Thelma was the driving force behind the entire show. I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg. Did a producer approach her or did she go to the TV people with the idea. Either way, it has amped up her business.

She's one smart cookie!

Another one divorces...

"My Big Fat Gypsy Divorce"

IN true Big Fat Gypsy Wedding style, the cake will be gigantic-but the bride at the top will be on her own.

And the groom will be iced to the side as if he's falling down the tiers... after being given the push.

Because fed-up traveller wife Chantelle Young is breaking with strict traditions to have a Big Fat Gypsy DIVORCE.

The pretty 19-year-old has dumped hubby Davey Joyce -nephew of notorious bare-knuckle fighter Paddy Doherty who starred in the hit Channel 4 show-after just four months of married hell.

And today she breaks the gypsy code of silence to blow apart the reality TV image of campsite splicings. "People think it's all glamorous and that everyone looks after each other but it's not," she says.

"I left school at 12, I was engaged at 17. And we ended up with Davey out all the time while I had nothing to do but clean the caravan."

Now Chantelle aims to get unhitched with an anti-wedding party to rival the lavish bashes her community is known for. Right down to the big dress.

"I've asked a dressmaker to make me an anti-bride one," she says. "Slashed and maybe bloodstained!

"My cake is three- tiered and will have a bride at the top and a groom falling down it. I plan to have my hair, nails, tan and make-up done-but I want to look even better than I did for Davey." Copies of the divorce papers will cover the walls and Chantelle's pals will be dressed as their heroes.

"I've got two Rihannas and a Beyonce so far," she laughs. "I want everyone as the person they dream of being to celebrate my freedom."

She realised she'd made a big mistake after she and Davey set up home on a site miles from her family in Merseyside.

"I had no education or job and I hated having to stay at home and do chores while Davey went out with friends," says Chantelle.

"I saw some young girls on the campsite in violent relationships. Luckily, for me, Davey and I just weren't getting along, but for some wives it was much worse."

She says one girl was threatened with having acid thrown in her face if she left her husband.

"The women stay because they're scared or have children. I realised my life wouldn't change- so I decided to do something about it," says Chantelle.

"I discussed it with Davey and he's OK about it because he will probably have someone else lined up for him. Everyone will say I wasn't fit to be a wife."

She returned to her family and at first they tried to change her mind because divorce is taboo among gypsys-but they stood by her. Now she's aiming to go to college.

"I hope next time I pick the right man," she says. "But that won't be for a good few years."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/1341058/My-Big-Fat-Gypsy-Divorce-at-just-19.html

^^very interesting and I think that the show and all the comments from the outside world that these girls have been exposed to is causing a bit of a revolution. Perhaps a certain number of them just felt peer and family pressure to marry.

Sorry to mention money again, but another expensive party to be paid for.