I'm sorry Goyard, I'm not impressed :-(

r15324

Dismembered
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
In fact I'm pretty disappointed...

Here's an email I sent Paris 233:

Good evening,

I purchased a St. Louis GM in Black/Gold this past February at the Paris 233 store and have been using it on and off for the past couple of months. Today I've noticed that the sealant on one of the handles has been compromised (on both sides) and appears to be splitting. I would like to have my bag repaired, but I am based in Sydney Australia, and am unable to physically visit a Goyard boutique. Firstly, how should I proceed to get a repair? And since the bag is only months old, is it covered by any manufacture warranty?

I've attached a photo of the issue. Please note that the cracking has appeared on both edges of the handle.

Kind regards,

attachment.php

Note that it was booked on the 31st of January, picked up on the 2nd or 3rd, and only started being used about a week later....

Here's a reply that Goyard sent me:

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your message and for your trust in Goyard.

After a careful exam of the picture attached to your message, the cracks that appears at the base of our Saint Louis tote bag handles seems rather normal ; indeed, these handles, carrying the weight of the whole bag, are naturally stretching out due to the normal use of the bag. When this occurs, the beeswax natural coating of these handles, hand-applied, can stretch out as well and present some of the minor crackles viewable on your picture…
The handles can of course be changed, though these crackles do not have any impact on your bag durability – they are definitively more ; however, we recommend you to consider this change, proposed at the price of 150 €, after a longer use of your bag.

Hoping this answers to your concern, we remain with pleasure at your disposal for any question you may have.

Yours sincerely,

---

It's not just the splitting at the base of the handle around the stitch (that I can deal with), there's a whole fracking hole in the handles sealant! I can see inside the bleeping handle! I still love my St. Louis, but I'm severely disappointed by Goyard's after-sale services... I should've asked them about their warranty/repairs services before I paid for it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 13,535
A SA at Barney's BH once told me that Goyard is in a world unto themselves- they don't care if anyone buys their products and they are not much into customer service. Your experience pretty much confirms what I was told. It is also why I have only admired Goyard and not purchased any of it.

I wish you good luck with your bag and hope you have a positive outcome.

I have a St. Louis that is just like yours. But mine is about 4 years old, so, i'm chocked that yours is already like this.

I'm based in Brasil, so, there's no way I can have the handles fixed cause we have huge taxes here (even for services abroad)... I just let it go and I dont carry too much weight.

I hate to say that, but my Neverfull is better than my St. Louis as an everyday bag. =(

I have a St. Louis that is just like yours. But mine is about 4 years old, so, i'm chocked that yours is already like this.

I'm based in Brasil, so, there's no way I can have the handles fixed cause we have huge taxes here (even for services abroad)... I just let it go and I dont carry too much weight.

I hate to say that, but my Neverfull is better than my St. Louis as an everyday bag. =(

How disappointing. I have yet to hear of a positive CS experience with this brand outside of Barneys/Bergdorf. I hope you'll continue to use and love your St. Louis, though!

Very disappointing considering the cost of these bags! The sealant cracking issue is honestly one reason I have stayed on the fence about buying a St. Louis! Based on your experience with CS I think I will most definitely hold off! I am sorry for your disappointment.

OT: I wonder if some color sealants crack more than others or if it depends on the batch? Or maybe the climate each bag is in? I've had two St. Louis' and neither cracked like this. My white had some tiny hairline cracks but my green has absolutely nothing and I've carried it almost daily with a laptop etc. for two years.

Back on topic: I think the price is steep for replacement straps, but if you plan to continue to use this bag on a regular basis, I would consider it.

sorry to hear this--your experience seals the deal for me on not getting anything Goyard. I've toyed with getting a bag and do love the understated nature but I don't want to deal with any luxury brand that isn't going to provide outstanding service

A SA at Barney's BH once told me that Goyard is in a world unto themselves- they don't care if anyone buys their products and they are not much into customer service. Your experience pretty much confirms what I was told. It is also why I have only admired Goyard and not purchased any of it.

I wish you good luck with your bag and hope you have a positive outcome.

Serves me right for purchasing it blind. I still love it to death, but will really have to rethink my future purchases from them...

the strap on my fidji looks like that too..

How is it holding up? Has it torn further? Which colour is it? lol so many questions...

Yikes what a huge disappointment. And you are one of their biggest cheerleaders for us in the forum.

Sorry this happened to your bag, and their poor CS response.

Thanks Longchamp. I'm not so much disappointed in their lack of a 'warranty' or similar, but am really insulted as to be informed that the cracks are a natural feature of continual usage...

Which colour is yours Mariana? I'm going to have to carry less in mine too...

How disappointing. I have yet to hear of a positive CS experience with this brand outside of Barneys/Bergdorf. I hope you'll continue to use and love your St. Louis, though!

OT: I wonder if some color sealants crack more than others or if it depends on the batch? Or maybe the climate each bag is in? I've had two St. Louis' and neither cracked like this. My white had some tiny hairline cracks but my green has absolutely nothing and I've carried it almost daily with a laptop etc. for two years.

Back on topic: I think the price is steep for replacement straps, but if you plan to continue to use this bag on a regular basis, I would consider it.

It really comes as a kick in the nuts especially when Goyard prides itself on exclusivity... Well I'm based in Sydney, and we have very mild weather, so I'm thinking that if anything, climate had little to do with it. I also wondered if some colours are more prone to cracks than others...

I would consider €150 to be reasonable, but it's definitely not if I'm to expect it to happen again!

Very disappointing considering the cost of these bags! The sealant cracking issue is honestly one reason I have stayed on the fence about buying a St. Louis! Based on your experience with CS I think I will most definitely hold off! I am sorry for your disappointment.

sorry to hear this--your experience seals the deal for me on not getting anything Goyard. I've toyed with getting a bag and do love the understated nature but I don't want to deal with any luxury brand that isn't going to provide outstanding service

Be sure to understand what types of after-sale services they have before your purchase from them or end up like me :sad: I feel like they can't be screwed with addressing my problem wholeheartedly because I can't visit a boutique in person... They better pull their socks up, or they're going to start losing followers after the hype dies down...

I am VERY surprised to hear about this! Normally, I am always on the LV threads, but I sometimes pop over here to admire and gawk at the reveals :graucho: It seems to me that they are messing with their #1 supporter and should straighten up ASAP! Is this the first time this has happened to you or this is just the first time that you have received such a horrid and rude response???

Also, if it makes you feel any better, no one else would ever notice that hole. I completely understand that this does NOT make you feel better, but I was hoping that maybe that would cheer you up a tad :-s lol