Travel PARIS tips - questions - advice!

I'm so excited to find this thread!!!! I'm going to Paris for the first time in mid-Sept. How will the weather be? I'm am going to bring flats - I am also tempted to bring a pair of tennis shoes (Asics) is that a major faux pas?

I've been in September and it was perfect! Rained a bit, but nothing too bad. It was mild and the warmest it got was the low 70's. Ballet flats with support are perfect. I wouldn't bring the Asics. Instead, get some Converse, Puma, Superga, or Toms shoes. Have fun!

Hi!
I recommend the classic Bateaux Mouches. If you take the metro to Alma-Marceau as soon as you leave the metro you will see signs. Inexpensive, I think about 12€ the last time I went, and you get the best of Paris while giving your feet a break.
Everytime I have someone visit me in Paris I take them on it and they love it. Its about an hour and a half long. I particularly suggest doing it at night since its beautiful!
Hope this helps!

Also don't reccomend the dinner cruises. The quality of the food does not match the price. Better to take the hour and a half long boat and then use the money you would have spent and go to a nice restaurant!

Thank you for the tip! Looks promising :smile:

Bonjour!

I will be going to Paris at the end of June for shopping season. I'm looking to book a hotel in the Marais district or somewhere near l'Opera Garnier. I'm open to suggestions though. The budget is under the 250 euros a night, and we will be there for 6 nights.

Any help is much appreciated. So many hotels are booked because of this air show going on while we are in town.

P.S: Looking for at least a 3 star in a safe area at night. (two women travelling alone)

Merci beaucoup!

250 euros should be enough for you to book this apart hotel called Residhome which is RIGHT BEHIND galeries lafayette

or adagio city paris which is right next to printemps. :smile: Both are just one block away from the Opera.

I've also stayed at Le Pera hotel which is on the same block as adaggio city and hotel st petersbourg which is right in the middle between le pera and adaggio. Never stayed at the best western but it's apparently decent.

Those are all decent 3-4* hotels. Hth!

Can anyone advise on getting pre-paid data plan for my ipad? i will be in France for 5weeks+ and i need to get data plan for my ipad , i know Orange has it, but i dont know how much does it cost and where to get it? I usually uses roaming data but this trip is way too long to be using roaming as it will cost a bomb! Thank you very much.

Anyone have any tips on Paris for someone who just wants to relax there? I'm the assistant for a study abroad trip in Russia right now & I have a week in Paris to relax afterwards. I'm going to be completely museum-ed & tour group-ed out. Plus the week after I get back from Paris I'm doing a road trip of the West Coast of the U.S., so I'm going to be saving my tourist-y energy for that.

I'm interested in cafes, places to get a good glass of wine & read, and interesting book shops. Maybe some cool farmers markets or flea markets if I do get the urge to wander.

I want it to be a very chill trip.

I think walking is quite relaxing in Paris as long as you stay out of the most touristy areas and it's not too hot. Or simply find a calm spot to read outside. =) The 14th and 15th as well as the less touristic parts of the 7th, the 10th and 11th arrondissements, should be less crowded and you'd be able to find some "hidden gems" there, like the observatoire de Paris. the 12th isen't that interesting perhaps, but continuing from porte dorée to towards the lake and parc on the way to the bois de vincennes is a great spot for a pic nic and a nice walk.

Other green areas that shouldn't be too overcrowded are buttes de chaumont, the forest around the former chateau de st cloud, bois de vincennes / bologne (but beware, certain areas of these places are to be avoided because they're mostly frequented by prostitutes and their customers, allthough I suppose the same is true for certain areas of any other parc as well, even the tuileries... =/). My favourite for a walk would be the promenade plantee, it makes you forget you're even in a city somehow. Also the below viaduc des arts makes for some of the most interesting shopping/window shopping in paris IMO.

The biggest market is the puces at clignancourt, but they are usually very crowded in summer and look out for pickpockets as well! In parts, it's more of a high end antique market than a traditional flea market. Various other markets appear frequently across the city in each arrondissemet. For food markets I would simply check the local info. I'm sure there are local markets especially for books too depending on where you stay.
Other than that you can find a number of second hand book shops in the area around the centre pompidou and the Gibert Jeunes at st michel square sell a mix of second hand and new books. =)

There are so many places to go to eat and as long as you avoid the most obvious spots, it's very easy to find great places for food in Paris.:P
Cafe visits that probably would not require 20 minutes in a line before getting in, I would recommend JP Hevin in rue st Honoré, prunier at Place Madéleine, le kong if only for the view, the restaurant at petit palais, any of the frères costes restaurants, l'altro in rue dragon...

In general I would go for a glass of wine and not the coffe as in general, the coffe is often not very good in Paris and dont expect them to know how to properly make any of the italian varieties that have made it to to the rest of the world (like if they serve a proper cappucino without whipped cream you're probably in a touristic place or in a place run by italians).

I hope you have a wonderful relaxing time in Paris. =)

Bonjour!

I will be going to Paris at the end of June for shopping season. I'm looking to book a hotel in the Marais district or somewhere near l'Opera Garnier. I'm open to suggestions though. The budget is under the 250 euros a night, and we will be there for 6 nights.

Any help is much appreciated. So many hotels are booked because of this air show going on while we are in town.

P.S: Looking for at least a 3 star in a safe area at night. (two women travelling alone)

Merci beaucoup!

Was the Edouard VII all booked?

there's also the louvre hotel which may be in your price range i believe...

( The opera is very safe at night ;) )