Question about Spa Treatment & Box Leather

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Hi, Ladies!

I am getting very close to purchasing a Kelly. I'm just trying to decide exactly what I want. Although I'm not sure yet, I probably will end up buying a pre-owned bag. Most of the pre-owned Kellys I've seen are Box leather and have minor-to-moderate scratching. My question is, can a trip to the spa significantly buff out the scratches on Box? I know they won't be able to get rid of them completely and I am fine with that. As long as the scratches can be minimized, I will be happy.

It is my experience that box refurbishes well if the scratches are not skin deep. They can cover the deep scratches, and you will feel them, but not see. The wear and tear on corners will be fixed and the bag will come back beautifully conditioned. My 1971 black box kelly came back looking great. It did have a horrible white scratch that was not disclosed when I purchased it and Claude told me that he could make it much better, but not disappear. We figured out that the scratch came from the key in the clochette coming in contact with the bag.

Hi, Ladies!

I am getting very close to purchasing a Kelly. I'm just trying to decide exactly what I want. Although I'm not sure yet, I probably will end up buying a pre-owned bag. Most of the pre-owned Kellys I've seen are Box leather and have minor-to-moderate scratching. My question is, can a trip to the spa significantly buff out the scratches on Box? I know they won't be able to get rid of them completely and I am fine with that. As long as the scratches can be minimized, I will be happy.

Then you should be ok but choose your bag very carefully. Scratches can be a bit unpredictable, some might polish out completely whereas others might not, such is the nature of box leather that it is inevitable that it will scratch and scuff...I would advise perhaps spending a bit more on a bag you know is in the condition you want, don't jump at a bag that you have doubts about because it is closer to your budget and it is there. There are lots of vintage Kellys out there in fantastic condition ( I am blessed to own several), and I know some of the other ladies do also.

Also communication with your seller is KEY as are clear and detailed photos. Lastly, post the details of any bag you are interested in at the authenticate thread so you know what you are buying is genuine.

It is my experience that box refurbishes well if the scratches are not skin deep. They can cover the deep scratches, and you will feel them, but not see. The wear and tear on corners will be fixed and the bag will come back beautifully conditioned. My 1971 black box kelly came back looking great. It did have a horrible white scratch that was not disclosed when I purchased it and Claude told me that he could make it much better, but not disappear. We figured out that the scratch came from the key in the clochette coming in contact with the bag.

Thanks so much for the info, BBL!

[/B]

Then you should be ok but choose your bag very carefully. Scratches can be a bit unpredictable, some might polish out completely whereas others might not, such is the nature of box leather that it is inevitable that it will scratch and scuff...I would advise perhaps spending a bit more on a bag you know is in the condition you want, don't jump at a bag that you have doubts about because it is closer to your budget and it is there. There are lots of vintage Kellys out there in fantastic condition ( I am blessed to own several), and I know some of the other ladies do also.

Also communication with your seller is KEY as are clear and detailed photos. Lastly, post the details of any bag you are interested in at the authenticate thread so you know what you are buying is genuine.

Thanks, Charm! I will definitely get the bag authenticated before paying.

Hi HermesNewvie,
I am excited that you are getting another Kelly. As you read my thread, i am waiting for mine to return from spa and my bag box calf. The front of my bag has scratches, and craftsmen Dominque does not think that he could removed it. I will post pics for u when get it back.

Hi HermesNewvie,
I am excited that you are getting another Kelly. As you read my thread, i am waiting for mine to return from spa and my bag box calf. The front of my bag has scratches, and craftsmen Dominque does not think that he could removed it. I will post pics for u when get it back.

Thanks, BLS! I'd love to see the "after" photos of your gorgeous Kelly!

Boxcalf refurbishes beautifully. If you can get pass the first scratch, you will fall head over heels with this skin.

As they say, a picture tells a thousands words. Here's my well-loved brique boxcalf birkin pre-/post-spa. The scratches are still there, but they have blended into beautiful patina post-spa. When I took her to H last year, she was 2/3 soaked in rain water due to a very unfortunate accident. The craftlady dumped water out of Ms. Brique, dried her and gave her lots of love. We all know boxcalf blisters with water, but the patina somehow protected her.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,445
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 977
Pics of the worn corners pre-/post-spa:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Did I tell you how much I love boxcalf:love:? My first and my latest H bags are boxcalf. I even have wallets, karos and other SLGs in boxcalf.

Attachments

• pre-corner2.JPG
    pre-corner2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 956
  • corner2.JPG
    corner2.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,010
Boxcalf refurbishes beautifully. If you can get pass the first scratch, you will fall head over heels with this skin.

As they say, a picture tells a thousands words. Here's my well-loved brique boxcalf birkin pre-/post-spa. The scratches are still there, but they have blended into beautiful patina post-spa. When I took her to H last year, she was 2/3 soaked in rain water due to a very unfortunate accident. The craftlady dumped water out of Ms. Brique, dried her and gave her lots of love. We all know boxcalf blisters with water, but the patina somehow protected her.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

The before and after pictures are amazing!!! Beautiful LTC!!!!!!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Wow, one of a very success spa result!Gorgeous!