Do You Have a "Jewelry Mentor"?

Sep 13, 2007
Just sitting here late in the night babysitting some Windows Office installations, and thought I'd ask: Is there someone in your life whose jewelry you absolutely adore and at times strive to procure for yourself?

For me it's my dogs' vet. She's been our vet for 15 years. She's a fantastic vet, she's saved the lives of several of our hounds. She also has killer good-taste in jewelry and whenever I drag a sick dog to her I secretly look forward to ogling her gorgeous rings and bracelets. It takes a true sense of personal style and self-confidence to relieve a hound's impacted anal glands while wearing an Oprah-sized diamond on your hand--I mean, even Oprah couldn't do that!--or swab Q-tips in big dirty ears while wearing a Tahitian pearl on a long white-gold wheat chain <gasp!>.

I even love her costume jewelry. A few weeks ago, after returning my sick cat to home, I made a quick circuit of all the women's clothing stores near the vet clinic searching for the waist-length crystal necklace she had been wearing as she checked his vital signs. Alas, I found nothing close. But I still hold out hope.

I know I should really tell her "I love, love your jewelry and I secretly look forward to ogling it while my dogs are sick," but I'm too shy--and maybe a bit embarrassed to admit this. So that's why I'm admitting it on TPF, because I know you girls will understand. ;) Now back to the Windows Office installation....

Is there anyone in your life whose jewelry you're this crazy about?

Great thread, Sue.

I love the style of Anna Dello Russo, though I could never personally pull it off. She has a knack for matching flamboyant costume jewelry so that it looks like it was intended to be all work together.

Here's a photo from another thread.

attachment.php

Attachments

• boho_chic_-_anna_della_russo.jpg
    boho_chic_-_anna_della_russo.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 636
Great thread, Sue.

I love the style of Anna Dello Russo, though I could never personally pull it off. She has a knack for matching flamboyant costume jewelry so that it looks like it was intended to be all work together.

Here's a photo from another thread.

attachment.php

Absolutely gorgeous! It takes a certain kind of presence to pull that off. And a good sense at matching too. One tiger-shaped bracelet and I look dotty and wacky, like the bag-lady who just emerged from the church jumble sale.

You guys!!!
awww :smile: I would say the same, my friends are way less adventurous with jewellery then I am, and my mom wears what I buy her LOL I just find inspiration on tpf and throughout different magazines and somehow try to make whatever it is I like look like my own style. I wish I had someone to take inspiration from.

My aunt was a huge influence. She was something an "Auntie Mame" type character, and always wore the most beautiful things. Her jewelry collection spanned the forties through the seventies, and her collection included David Webb, Schlumberger, and Seaman Schepps among many others of the time.

I thought she was the most glamourous creature on earth!

awww :smile: I would say the same, my friends are way less adventurous with jewellery then I am, and my mom wears what I buy her LOL I just find inspiration on tpf and throughout different magazines and somehow try to make whatever it is I like look like my own style. I wish I had someone to take inspiration from.

LOL I don't think I owned a thing more expensive than Tiffany Silver until I joined this forum!!! Candice we really are two peas in a Canadian Pod!

I'd have to say stars too? I'm one of those losers who buys US/INSTYLE/LIFE AND STYLE every week/month and copies star styles that I love. :P:P

Is it weird that the first thing I thought when I read your message was:

"Why is the vet wearing so much jewellery, hasn't she heard of infection control?"

OMG - thats exactly what I thought. I work for the NHS and although I dont work in a clinical role ,I have been told today that we all have to rethink our jewellery because we are not meeting infection control guidelines - boo!

Anyway, back to topic - I would have to say... my friends on TPF are my mentors :biggrin: