Price increase

Sometimes, those unnecessary price increase will cost you GREAT customers..Chanel seems to have big increases too...I agree they probably think we will pay no more what..they should have stuck with the mini!

I am not surprised about the price increase
everything has gone up because of the price of oil
everything is transported by things that run on gas
I thnk they are just passing on the cost of overhead as all maufacturers do
I don't think it has anything to do with quality or availablity
it has to do with the price of oil

^That may be part of it, but I think mainly this is about refocusing the luxury market on the truly affluent, and moving away from the aspirational consumers. That is the best way to recession-proof a business that is all about unnecessary spending. If you look into the kind of profits Hermes was posting during the worst of the recession, you'll see what I'm getting at. The other luxury fashion houses took note (probably during one of the 70% off sales that were being held at that time) and now the Hermes business model is the one to have. Bottega is still very happy to have your business, but it is going to need to cost you more (general "you" and "your", not being personal here :smile:) to give it to them. Luxury brands have a refocused image to foster and support to try to avoid the "death of luxury", which was a term debated quite a bit during the financial crisis.

All I know is that I am so happy that I was able to build a nice collection before this point.

^That may be part of it, but I think mainly this is about refocusing the luxury market on the truly affluent, and moving away from the aspirational consumers. That is the best way to recession-proof a business that is all about unnecessary spending. If you look into the kind of profits Hermes was posting during the worst of the recession, you'll see what I'm getting at. The other luxury fashion houses took note (probably during one of the 70% off sales that were being held at that time) and now the Hermes business model is the one to have. Bottega is still very happy to have your business, but it is going to need to cost you more (general "you" and "your", not being personal here :smile:) to give it to them. Luxury brands have a refocused image to foster and support to try to avoid the "death of luxury", which was a term debated quite a bit during the financial crisis.

All I know is that I am so happy that I was able to build a nice collection before this point.
I've been following this thread and agree. I just mentioned to hubby yesterday that the one positive I find in this down economy is that I can now attain merchandise I never before could have considered due to escalated sales. These particular markets are looking to attain a certain echelon consumer in their stores. That is not to say they won't cater to anyone who will purchase their products, but they are trying to maintain a certain exclusivity.

I have only been buying BV for a couple of years, but I've really noticed how they are producing more and more of the more expensive bags, and cutting some of the more reasonably priced bags. For example, the Capri, which I really love. I'm really turned off by the huge price increases. Last year I purchased a few Chanels, and then decided that the price increases were ridiculous. I may have to stop buying bags! LOL!

^That may be part of it, but I think mainly this is about refocusing the luxury market on the truly affluent, and moving away from the aspirational consumers. That is the best way to recession-proof a business that is all about unnecessary spending. If you look into the kind of profits Hermes was posting during the worst of the recession, you'll see what I'm getting at. The other luxury fashion houses took note (probably during one of the 70% off sales that were being held at that time) and now the Hermes business model is the one to have. Bottega is still very happy to have your business, but it is going to need to cost you more (general "you" and "your", not being personal here ) to give it to them. Luxury brands have a refocused image to foster and support to try to avoid the "death of luxury", which was a term debated quite a bit during the financial crisis.

I agree, BV wants the truly affluent.

The problem is, the truly affluent fall into three rough categories (IMO):
1. celebrities
2. old money
3. wealth accrued through business

The first group will buy a lot of luxury accessories every season, because their wealth and image is derived from being "of the moment." Unfortunately for BV and other retailers, this is a fairly small group of people.

Groups 2 and 3 are generally not focused on buying more, more, more. The Old Money crowd often wants to show they are classy, not wealthy -- and classy doesn't mean buying 12k bags that look like Kurt Cobain shredded the ends with a pair of scissors. A friend of mine married into Old Money, and his inlaws spend their money building hospitals and financing them. These are the people who buy one or two Birkins or Chanels, not a wardrobe full of them. How many times have we seen Princess Mary of Denmark carry the same BV bag?

The Business Wealthy generally are focused on more than what they wear. I know the wife of one of the 20 wealthiest men in the world. She has fewer designer bags than I do, and I only have like 7. She spent three years working on building a museum. Her days are not spent leafing through Vogue or directing her personal shopper. (She does spend a lot of time in the gym, though).

Again, this is just all IMO. But the BV focus on "the affluent" seems to be a Hail Mary pass to me. Time will tell if it works.

I've been out of the BV loop for so long, I purchased my last BV bag and wallet in Sept of 08... I can't even imagine what they must cost now! Which is good because I can no longer afford to buy them anyway. Glad I got my three beauties back in 07 and 08 when I could afford them.

I agree, BV wants the truly affluent.

The problem is, the truly affluent fall into three rough categories (IMO):
1. celebrities
2. old money
3. wealth accrued through business

The first group will buy a lot of luxury accessories every season, because their wealth and image is derived from being "of the moment." Unfortunately for BV and other retailers, this is a fairly small group of people.

Groups 2 and 3 are generally not focused on buying more, more, more. The Old Money crowd often wants to show they are classy, not wealthy -- and classy doesn't mean buying 12k bags that look like Kurt Cobain shredded the ends with a pair of scissors. A friend of mine married into Old Money, and his inlaws spend their money building hospitals and financing them. These are the people who buy one or two Birkins or Chanels, not a wardrobe full of them. How many times have we seen Princess Mary of Denmark carry the same BV bag?

The Business Wealthy generally are focused on more than what they wear. I know the wife of one of the 10 wealthiest men in the world. She has fewer designer bags than I do, and I only have like 7. She spent three years working on building a museum. Her days are not spent leafing through Vogue or directing her personal shopper. (She does spend a lot of time in the gym, though).

Again, this is just all IMO. But the BV focus on "the affluent" seems to be a Hail Mary pass to me. Time will tell if it works.
doreenjoy:
I have never read a post so on the money as this one. Karma for the great comments. The most wealthy people I know (whether it be from old money or newfound riches) are much more concerned with having rich life experiences, like spending a month's vacation in Africa, or donating money to trauma centres for life-saving equipment. They have maybe three or four classic designer pieces and that's it. I think as you mentioned, in another thread, the truly wealthy don't need expensive bags to flash in other peoples' faces. Their class and respect for money speaks for itself. I doubt some of these ladies have even heard of ThePurseForum - and that's not meant to disrespect anyone here.
I love beautiful pieces as much as the next person, but it makes you wonder how far a lot of these design houses will go. How much more are any of us willing to spend on another Roma tote? If it increased to $5000 would you still buy it? Do I really need it in three different colours? How does it make any of us that work full-time jobs, feel about how they are trying to push us out of their market? So because I am a Dental Hygienist, I am not "allowed" to carry BV? They want to keep the prices high so as not to cheapen their image by selling to the riff-raff?
What gives?

doreenjoy, you make such a good point!!! You're always soooo smart! It is so true about the old money. Their interest is in charities and organizations and not in materialism so much. I guess they are then going after "group 1", the very small celebrity market (I emphasize small because some are given to them), and the nouveau riche.

Well, I am not in Group 1, 2 or 3! You are so right though DoreenJoy.
I'm not rich, I am not even close to rich, so I probably dont need to be buying BV.
But I love leather. I think there is an art to leather. Some people love diamonds and jewelry and cars and CLs, I love leather.
But I am to the point where my BV is just as good as my Tods which is just as good as my RM or even the cheapy Hogan I got last week...It was a color I wanted so I got it. Or even the $35 unknown made in Italy vintage bag coming in a week or so that is an intrecciatto bag.
I dont HAVE to have BV. I just wanted it. But I dont belong here. I cant keep up. I just think I should be able to as someone said before "live vicariously" through all of you that can afford to buy one!

Dont mind me, I am just having a "debbiedowner' moment!

doreenjoy, you make such a good point!!! You're always soooo smart! It is so true about the old money. Their interest is in charities and organizations and not in materialism so much. I guess they are then going after "group 1", the very small celebrity market (I emphasize small because some are given to them), and the nouveau riche.

your check is in the mail. :hugs: :lol: