For those who used to love Chanel, did u regret coming over to the H side?

kobe939

O.G.
Apr 16, 2008
I am newbie when it comes to Hermes. I only own a large blue jeans picotin and a etoupe jypsiere. I have been on the wait list for a birkin or kelly for a long time. My SA has always wanted me to buy some scarfs or wallets from her, she said then she would be able to move me up the list faster. But the problem is I don't use scarfs and I don't want to spend thousands on a wallet yet. Also I am not in a real hurry to get a birkin or kelly, if she can offer me one and I like the color combination, I will be happy to take it. But if not, I am ok to wait.

I have been a huge Chanel and Balenciage fans, and have acquired quite a few pieces. I just purchased a red jumbo recently and I have been very disapointed with the 'new' style of jumbo and worried about the declining workmenship of Chanel. So I was thinking to myself if it is time to move on to Hermes and just forget about getting more Chanel??? With the anticipated Chanel price increase coming soon, it's been driving a few people away from Chanel including myself.

For those who used to love Chanel, did you regret coming over here to the orange side? It's a big commitment to start collecting Hermes. Is the workmenship of Hermes better?

I have told to my SA that I am really interested in getting a Lindy, that's the bag I fell in love with. I really want one in rubis, iris or mykonos. She said she should have a shipment coming in about a month. I am getting really excited about that and hope I can get one. But I am not sure if I am ready to part with Chanel yet.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

It depends Hermes is tough--they expect you to spend spend spend to earn the right to buy something like a kelly or a birkin or even just a coveted color in any bag. its kind of a repulsive system --be prepared --it takes much of the joy out of loving the brand itself

Hermes is great (although dangerous to your bank account). Why not consider buying your first kelly or birkin thru an approved reseller. Many sell fabulous bags at or even under retail. I have noticed when I walk into Hermes carrying their bag, they tend to treat me differently than when I walk in carrying something else. So you can open the door that way rather than wasting the money on products you dont want.

Kobe, I love H now and only buy H now. My DH though regrets that I slid down the orange slope. He regrets that he use to complain about me buying all those chanel bags. Now he WISHES I would go back to chanel because the bags are 1/3rd the price of the ones I buy now. I still love all my chanel jewelry, purses and clothes, but I haven't bought anything chanel in the last 2 years. All I want these days all come in orange boxes.
As for you, buy only what you love and want. That's generally a good rule of thumb. Good luck!

if you have the chance to go abroad check out other stores as well. it seems you SA is playing that H game (letting you buy other stuff before giving you a K or B). i was extremely lucky with all my H bags.

actually i've been to chanel lately. so glad it doesn't cost an arm & a leg (coming from H) and i love all the pockets, compartments and the versatility of the strap lengths of their bags.

i'm returning to H but have been wanting chanels for future buys. Still looking for that navy 227 or 226 reissue with ruth hardware. or an olive green jumbo flap.

this year alone i bought from chanel: a cambon tote, cambon flats (sooo comfy!!!!), blue camelia woc & wallet & a jm large bowler (not to happy with the iridescent calfskin tho bec the material ruins my tshirt material tops). so i might also consider a navy distressed large jm bowler with ruth hardware. i love the design of the bowler sooo much! i still have to see how my chanels will fare after a couple of years.

for H tho i'm falling in love with the kelly dog & clic clacs. jerseys too but can't afford them at the moment.

Hi Kobe, I just recently move to H side myself due to increasing price in Chanel. I am very lucky that I acquire Lindy 30, Kelly 35, Birkin 30 and 35 and Kelly lakis this month :biggrin:

I feel my Chanel collection is complete and I started to fall in love with H. I am not too fond of Lindy and Birkin 30. I prefer my maxi chanel over Lindy but I love my Kelly 35 and Birkin 35.
I will not leave Chanel but I will buy Chanel if it's something absolutely worth to buy and great addition to my collection. In the meantime, I start saving to build my H collection. Hoping to collect special order one so it will be bag specially made for me :biggrin:
Hopefully they offer it sooner to me :biggrin:

The quality and craftmanship of H is amazing. I love the texture of clemence :tup:
Chanel is more chic and style but H is definitely the IT bag

A big fat NO!!!! Im glad I came to my senses when I saw the poor quality of my Jumbo caviar! I am just so happy sister and mother dragged me all the way to the orange side! I would still get chanel cj's and some shoes or may be rtw's but as for now, The orange world has been so nice to me! specially the leather and silk dept! I just special ordered something and I am ecstatic!

It depends Hermes is tough--they expect you to spend spend spend to earn the right to buy something like a kelly or a birkin or even just a coveted color in any bag. its kind of a repulsive system --be prepared --it takes much of the joy out of loving the brand itself

Hermesaholic, you are so right, I was worrired that it would cost me way more than I ever wanted to spend on a bag. I just want to be very cautious before I start my collection.

Hermes is great (although dangerous to your bank account). Why not consider buying your first kelly or birkin thru an approved reseller. Many sell fabulous bags at or even under retail. I have noticed when I walk into Hermes carrying their bag, they tend to treat me differently than when I walk in carrying something else. So you can open the door that way rather than wasting the money on products you dont want.

ReneH, when I looked at some of the resellers, they tend to sell more than the retail price. Also, it costs of lot of money bringing luxury goods into Canada (high duty and customs charge). It's funny that you said carrying a Hermes into their store. Most of the time, I carried my Balenciaga or Chanel. The jypsiere my hubby bought for me from last August is still sittiing in the box, not even used yet. I tend to collect bags rather than use them...especially when it comes to very expensive bags.

Kobe, I love H now and only buy H now. My DH though regrets that I slid down the orange slope. He regrets that he use to complain about me buying all those chanel bags. Now he WISHES I would go back to chanel because the bags are 1/3rd the price of the ones I buy now. I still love all my chanel jewelry, purses and clothes, but I haven't bought anything chanel in the last 2 years. All I want these days all come in orange boxes.
As for you, buy only what you love and want. That's generally a good rule of thumb. Good luck!

goodlife, my hubby knew that I wanted to explore the H side, then he got quite worried. He said when he first knew me (14 years ago), he had to forced me to buy a $700 LV. Whereas now, I paid $4k on a jumbo just like that. And he thought that's the most I would go until now. :lecture:But you are right, I have to make sure I buy what I love and want only. It's a lot of money for a handbag.

if you have the chance to go abroad check out other stores as well. it seems you SA is playing that H game (letting you buy other stuff before giving you a K or B). i was extremely lucky with all my H bags.

actually i've been to chanel lately. so glad it doesn't cost an arm & a leg (coming from H) and i love all the pockets, compartments and the versatility of the strap lengths of their bags.

i'm returning to H but have been wanting chanels for future buys. Still looking for that navy 227 or 226 reissue with ruth hardware. or an olive green jumbo flap.

this year alone i bought from chanel: a cambon tote, cambon flats (sooo comfy!!!!), blue camelia woc & wallet & a jm large bowler (not to happy with the iridescent calfskin tho bec the material ruins my tshirt material tops). so i might also consider a navy distressed large jm bowler with ruth hardware. i love the design of the bowler sooo much! i still have to see how my chanels will fare after a couple of years.

for H tho i'm falling in love with the kelly dog & clic clacs. jerseys too but can't afford them at the moment.

Thanks baileylab, I still love my chanel collection. I just don't think I will buy any classics anymore. Their WOC, wallet and jm collection is really fun to have and doesn't cost that much (when comparing to H).
If you are still looking to get a navy 227 reissue with ruth hardware or the new militaire/olive caviar jumbo flap, I might have some SA that I can share with you, not sure if they are sold out yet. But it's worth a try if you really want to get it before the price increase coming on June 1st. Let me know and I can pm you my SA info.

Hi Kobe, I just recently move to H side myself due to increasing price in Chanel. I am very lucky that I acquire Lindy 30, Kelly 35, Birkin 30 and 35 and Kelly lakis this month :biggrin:

I feel my Chanel collection is complete and I started to fall in love with H. I am not too fond of Lindy and Birkin 30. I prefer my maxi chanel over Lindy but I love my Kelly 35 and Birkin 35.
I will not leave Chanel but I will buy Chanel if it's something absolutely worth to buy and great addition to my collection. In the meantime, I start saving to build my H collection. Hoping to collect special order one so it will be bag specially made for me :biggrin:
Hopefully they offer it sooner to me :biggrin:

The quality and craftmanship of H is amazing. I love the texture of clemence :tup:
Chanel is more chic and style but H is definitely the IT bag

chanel_luv, WOW, you are very lucky indeed. Your collection is amazing in just a month. It would take me years to build that up. Do you have a picture of all those bags?

Thank you for your suggestion, I should start saving up if I wanted to build my H collection. I hope you can special order your bag sooner too!

A big fat NO!!!! Im glad I came to my senses when I saw the poor quality of my Jumbo caviar! I am just so happy sister and mother dragged me all the way to the orange side! I would still get chanel cj's and some shoes or may be rtw's but as for now, The orange world has been so nice to me! specially the leather and silk dept! I just special ordered something and I am ecstatic!

Bornsocialite, thank you for your confirmation. I can't really see the poor quality of Chanel since I only stated collecting about 2 years ago. But I read many old tpf'er complaining about the declining quality. I will start to venture on this side more now.:P

NO! NEVER REGRET! LOVE LOVE H !! :happydance:

I have a Chanel re-issue, a couple of LV's and the rest all Hermes.

I don't regret it for a minute.......

Thank you for your comments, CathayC and S'mom.

[/QUOTE]Thanks baileylab, I still love my chanel collection. I just don't think I will buy any classics anymore. Their WOC, wallet and jm collection is really fun to have and doesn't cost that much (when comparing to H).
If you are still looking to get a navy 227 reissue with ruth hardware or the new militaire/olive caviar jumbo flap, I might have some SA that I can share with you, not sure if they are sold out yet. But it's worth a try if you really want to get it before the price increase coming on June 1st. Let me know and I can pm you my SA info.[/QUOTE]

thank you for your recommendation. i don't think we'll be going out of the country until next year though. but please pm me at what store / country it is. i'll see if we'll be going there next year.

Je ne regrette rien :cloud9::heart::heart::heart::love:

I used to be (and still am, to a certain extent) a Chanel lover -- clothing as well as accessories. But I sold all of my Chanel bags except for a medium black classic I purchased in 1995, which is still like new. I also know the prices have gotten crazier over the past couple of years. When I was in NY a few months ago, I was browsing in the Chanel boutique and picked up a black lambskin classic with palladium hardware and I was struck by how "light" and almost flimsy it felt in comparison to the classic I had sitting in my wardrobe back home, and the price was $3500. There is NO way I could pay that for something that was, sadly, lacking the quality that it was once known for. For a couple of grand more, I could get something from Hermes. Same thing applies to Louis Vuitton. I used to be a big fan, but the quality isn't there anymore and I can't justify paying their ever-increasing prices. I've also sold several of my LVs.

With regard to Hermes, I've been an Hermes fan for a long time (20> years). I started out with a couple of scarves and a couple of their fragrances, and didn't get my first handbag (black Kelly) until five years ago. I've been hooked ever since. I now have two Birkins, two Kellys, a Trim and a Jypsiere, all in classic colors and all of which I use regularly. I also have more scarves as well as belts, scarf rings and a couple of CDC's. I'm VERY happy with everything I have, and the quality is unbeatable. I don't need anything else.

FWIW, I bought my first few bags from resellers, and I'm glad I did, because I got exactly what I wanted and it would have been very difficult to obtain that from the boutiques otherwise. I actually got some good buys, so it's not always the case that you'll pay more from a reseller. Just keep checking, you may find some deals.

So, welcome to the Orange side ;) You won't regret making the switch, though your finances may take a bit of a hit :graucho:

No regrets at all. However, you don't have to acquire a large collection of Hermes. The best thing about Hermes is, sometimes we ended up using the same old B, K Picotin, etc again and again. Sometimes, the oldies are still the shining armours like a Raisin Boxcalf despite the arrays of Lime, Azure, Terre, Bleu Paon, etc.

Hence, choose the best ones for yourself and enjoy them for a life-time.