To Return or Not To, That Is The Question

swatson

Oct 2, 2009
I purchased the lovely Williamfield Cherry Blossom and it really is beautiful (purchased at Last Call for 136$). My concern is how long until the white becomes dingy since there isn't a protectant that can be sprayed on the coated canvas. The texture is tacky (can't remember the thread where "tacky" was confused with gaudy, this is not the case) and would hate for a few commutes into the city via public transportation to have it ruined. Thoughts?

Swatson

^So the bag doesn't have a canvas body with a PVC coated flower print on front? I haven't seen it in real life yet so I don't know....

Oh yes. Outside is the coated canvas, on the inside has the dark cloth lining. I was just thinking that the spray on the outside (coated pvc) may make the bag slippery?

The print is beautiful - big ol' cherry blossom w/ a super white background.

Swatson

^OK, gotcha. I just looked at some detailed pics of one on Ebay and I understand now.

I still hope to get one too and take my chances. The print is just too pretty to pass up.

Good luck with your decision swatson! :flowers:

When I saw the bag it looked like it had a mate finish??? I think you should keep it and USE it. And after every use just wipe it down with a damp cloth and light cleaning solution. To me it looked like any stains could be easily wiped off. Also, if you got it at Nordstrom and something goes wrong they have a GREAT RETURN Policy. So Take a chance. Have a little fun...ROCK IT ;)

I've actually given this much thought and the L.A.M.B. bags are actually NOT canvas/fabric (outside)...but 100% PVC....vinyl....it reminds me of a very heavy duty table cloth material or heavy duty upholstering...i remember sitting on a chair that had a very very similar pvc material upholstering!

I did some research and found this vinyl protectant spray for car seats, interiors, etc, and I don't see why this wouldn't work...just be very careful to not get it on the leather trim since it's such a light color on the cherry blossom (you're supposed to spray it on a microfiber cloth and apply it that way)

http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-ultimate-vinyl-protectant-spray.html

i can see what you mean about the vinyl being a nonporous surface, but i also did a test using a fabric protectant spray that i already had on-hand (vectra spray; it's similar to scotch guard)....i tested it out on my b/w checkerboard wristlet...sprayed it all over...at first it was shiny and greasy feeling but after letting it dry for about half an hour or so it's fine! the material seemed to soak up the spray like it's supposed to. so that's another option if the vinyl protectant spray isn't what you're looking for.

regardless, i think you should keep it and of course keep using it if you love it :smile:

Brian have you tried this stuff? It looks INTENSE :wtf: I got this industrial cleaner once and it took off the paint on a coated canvas bag. Thats why NOW I like to use a damp rag and a mild cleaning agent..I was traumatized ...PLUS im heavy handed so the dirt I was trying to clean and the paint NEVER stood a chance. LOL

Just be careful.

OMG...I haven't tried it before...just did the research online for a pvc protectant spray...

I DO own and can attest to that VECTRA SPRAY though.... I've been using it for years and it's specifically made for silk, suede, leather, canvas, etc.... it doesn't mention pvc/plastics any where on the can but like i said i just tried it on b/w wristlet and it seemed to work just fine!!

www.vectraspray.com

I might have to try this. I NEVER even thought of spraying my coated canvas after my incident. Even though I was trying to clean and now it would be to protect.....hmmmmm....I would LOVE something that would allow pen marks to rub/clean off with ease. Thats the only thing I worry about with my bags. Since they are NOT protected, im just VERY VERY CAREFUL :sweatdrop:

Thanks, everyone! All the advice/links are greatly appreciated!

I have heard of Vectra but hadn't considered using it until your comments/experience, Brian.

Diana, it has the same finish as the checkerboard flap wallet from this past Winter -- no matter how gentle it was treated, both my wallet and wristlet picked up some light purplish coloring from something.....hm, I don't have much in my purse, small brush, wallet and wristlet....weird!

Swatson

Thanks, everyone! All the advice/links are greatly appreciated!

I have heard of Vectra but hadn't considered using it until your comments/experience, Brian.

Diana, it has the same finish as the checkerboard flap wallet from this past Winter -- no matter how gentle it was treated, both my wallet and wristlet picked up some light purplish coloring from something.....hm, I don't have much in my purse, small brush, wallet and wristlet....weird!

Swatson

did the purplish stuff wipe off with ease?

(...for the record this is another reason I do so much Black. Its just "LIFE Happens FRIENDLY"!!!)