buyer says item is "nicked"

agalarowicz

Nov 11, 2010
I sold a Swarovski Whale Figurine in mint condition on the bay. I had a bin with immediate payment required. The buyer had 0 fb and I had a bad feeling, but shipped it anyways with tracking and insurance. The buyer receives the item and says:

"This is the first time I have bought anything off of ebay, so I am not exactly sure of how to proceed. My wife found a nick in the tail almost immediately and wasn't completely happy with the gift. I know this is an after market item so it can be difficult to obtain. The price was right but it is not in mint condition and she would rather have me return it than add it to her collection. How would you like to proceed?"

I had pictures from both sides and different angles. The item did not have a nick when I shipped it. (These were my grandma's and she never even took them out). I have a feeling that they are trying to ship me back one that they broke and get a new one for free. I can post the link if that would help. How should I proceed? At this point I asked for a picture of the damage.

Uggghhhhhhh. I think you are probably right. Hopefully they will send the picture and you can see if you have a photo of the spot they claim it is in.
I don't know what else you can do at this pint.....the ball is in their court.
Fingers crossed here!

Once you get the picture of the damage (if you get a photo, and if there is damage), you can send your photos of the same area and politely point out that there was no nick in that spot when you sent it out. It may not be the end of it, but if they may back off if they feel like you'll fight it.

I would just tell them to send it back, and let them know you put a 'security mark' on it to verify that it is indeed yours. And you will refund once it is received. See what they say :yes:

I guess you won't know till you see the photo's, but could it possibly have been damaged in the post? I imagine if something had happened to it, it would have been apparent when the item was delivered?

I'm really hoping it isn't someone trying to scam you.

Hope this all turns out ok for you. I'm becoming terrified of Ebay...

I would just tell them to send it back, and let them know you put a 'security mark' on it to verify that it is indeed yours. And you will refund once it is received. See what they say :yes:

if they show photos and i end up having to take it back i will indeed say this. i
i just noticed that they set up this new ebay account 4 days before buying my item. lovely.

Mentioning the security mark sounds like a plan (I'm still hoping it doesn't come to that)

(I'm meant to mention before, I love the picture of your pup - what a sweetie!!)

I agree. I was just in a similar situation. I'd wait for their pictures though. Still it's better that you ask them to return the item. You'll issue a refund once you receive the item & inspect to make sure it's indeed your item and/or in same condition.

I have a "no returns" policy on my listings, but when you have buyers like that... it's not worth fighting when Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. Plus the buyer can always file a SNAD and will probably win. Just saying.

I agree. I was just in a similar situation. I'd wait for their pictures though. Still it's better that you ask them to return the item in the same condition that you mailed it in. You'll issue a refund once you receive the item & inspect to make sure it's indeed your item and/or in same condition.

I have a "no returns" policy on my listings, but it's not worth fighting when Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. Plus the buyer can always file a SNAD and will probably win. Just saying.

that is true.. but if the seller shipped it with no chip packed it

well, its really not fair that the buyer is doing this... but

as long as the buyer can file a snad, they will win unfortunately

and unfairly...

that is true.. but if the seller shipped it with no chip packed it

well, its really not fair that the buyer is doing this
... but

as long as the buyer can file a snad, they will win unfortunately

and unfairly...

I agree. However, the reality is that the OP will probably and unfortunately have to take the return or risk the consequences like a SNAD.

agalarowicz - I'd also try to offer a partial refund but it sounds like the buyer really wants a full refund. I'd just offer both but be prepared for the latter. Keep us posted!