Calling all Coach Rehab Professionals!

Aug 27, 2007
While strolling through an antique shop, I stumbled into an older (1998) "Made in the USA" red Esquestrian Slim Bucket (a big thank you to Hyacinth for authenticating it and identifying it for me). The only problem is that there a stain along the top of the bag that appears to look like oil or grease (possibly from food?). I paid $29.95 for it, the bag is in excellent condition otherwise. It appears as though whoever owned the bag got the stain on the bag early into its ownership and never used it afterwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions on removing an old oil stain? I did some research and the only thing that I have come across, that does not seem too alarming was to rub the spot with corn starch until it turns warm from the friction, wipe it clean and repeat until the oil is lifted. I am concerned that it might not work on a old, embedded stain, though. It stated that the corn starch would not remove the color dye from the leather. Does that sound true?

I thought about giving the bag a bath in Ivory soap first, but I am worried that would not be enough. Would maybe bathing it Dawn (breaks up grease) soap work better, or is Dawn too harsh on the red leather?

Thanks for any help! I am looking forward to bringing the bag back to life!

014-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

These pictures are pictures from my cell phone at the antique shop. I can take better pictures of the bag during the daytime if you need a better look. TIA!

It's a pretty bag, congratulations. That may be a difficult stain to remove. And it may not be possible to remove it. I would probably start by dabbing it with rubbing alcohol to see if that helps. Good luck!

Rubbing alcohol runs the risk of taking the dye off with it.
I would give it a bath (check TPF archives for method). Perhaps the bath will lift the stain, then try the corn starch method on any thing that is left.

Thanks, Kate and dstalksalot! I tried the corn starch...nothing! :sad:
I have tried four rounds of wiping the area with Apple leather cleaner. The stain has lightened up a little bit and the tiny spots of stain have lightened up to the point where they blend in better, but it is still visible without having to look very hard. I think the bag needs a soaking in a tub of dish soap next. I am debating between Ivory or Dawn.

I have used both cornstarch and baby powder (talcum) to take oil and grease stains out of clothes, it works great! I would pile some of either on top of he stain and let it sit for a couple of days. Then I would give it a bath in some warm soapy water with some dawn. GL, it's a really cute bag!

I have used both cornstarch and baby powder (talcum) to take oil and grease stains out of clothes, it works great! I would pile some of either on top of he stain and let it sit for a couple of days. Then I would give it a bath in some warm soapy water with some dawn. GL, it's a really cute bag!

Thanks for that tip, YokelMel! I'll try that before I give the bag a bath. I tried rubbing the corn starch in, brushing it off and repeating several times. It did not seem to budge, but I didn't give it a thought to let it sit on the spots for a couple of days. I will definitely give that a shot.

It is a really cute bag and a beautiful, rich deep red color. All I know is, if I were the original owner and I got that stain on the bag, I would have been sick over it. It's a shame because the bag was in PERFECT condition otherwise. It even had the little booklet in the inside pocket that Coach used to put inside all their classic bags. The little booklet is a treasure by itself. It has the story of Coach written inside. LOL, you know you are an addict when something like that gets you all excited! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Hmm.....promising. Be sure to use a dye free fragrance free soap.

I starting wondering if I should look into a saddle soap. I have a Equestrian store near my house. I was thinking about taking the bag with me and see if they had any suggestions on a soap. I am really worried about the color though...it is a beautiful shade of red, I'd hate to lose some of the color.

You should definately give the talcum or corn starch some time to absorb the grease before brushing it off...especially if it is an old stain, it could take quite some time to draw it all out! I know that someone just had really good luck with a liquid saddle soap rehabbing a Gigi, Fiebings I think the brand was? Hope something works for you to take it out, the bag is beautiful and looks to be in super condition :smile:

I know that someone just had really good luck with a liquid saddle soap rehabbing a Gigi, Fiebings I think the brand was? Hope something works for you to take it out, the bag is beautiful and looks to be in super condition :smile:

Thanks for reminding me about the teal Gigi posted by Shadow 122333. I went back to that thread and wrote down all the brands of leather cleaners and conditioners that were mentioned. I did some research on the websites for each the products and I am going to hit an Equestrian store. I am going to give the bag a few days to sit with the corn starch first though. Thank you! :smile: