Celebrities aren't perfect . . .

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
. . . but I guess you already knew that. You've read about the scandals and the wardrobe malfunctions.

But:

Ashton Kutcher has webbed toes
2321762.jpg

Mark Wahlberg has a superfluous (third) nipple
985_899_0_2_markconcert3.jpg
Mark-Wahlberg-third-nipple.jpg

Rene Russo and Isabella Rossellini wore body casts as teenagers to correct scoliosis.

Liza Minelli, Chloe Sevigny and Sarah Michelle Gellar, among others such as Kurt Cobain and Linda Blair are all reported to have had scoliosis.

(I knew about Isabella Rossellini and Renee Russo having scoliosis, but I didn't know about the others! It would've been more of a comfort to me when I had scoliosis.)

The point of this thread is to remind everyone that although these people are considered the 'Beautiful People,' they have imperfections just like everyone else - and not just scandals and not just wardrobe malfunctions.

They've had physical abnormalities they've either dealt with or chose to embrace. (Neither Ashton Kutcher nor Mark Wahlberg want corrective surgery - and I think that's so cool.)

It's good to know that not everyone feels like they have to be "perfect".

btw, this is off topic, but how did you get scoliosis fixed? I thought it can't really be fixed, unless it's through surgery.

I had surgery. Well, I wore the brace for a year, but the brace didn't correct anything, so I had a spinal fusion.

(I can tell you exactly which vertabrae they fused! I can't walk by a model of a skeleton or look at a picture of one without going, "See? They fused from here to here! See?")

I had surgery. Well, I wore the brace for a year, but the brace didn't correct anything, so I had a spinal fusion.

(I can tell you exactly which vertabrae they fused! I can't walk by a model of a skeleton or look at a picture of one without going, "See? They fused from here to here! See?")

Did the fusion help?

Itzme - No, it's not something I'll ever forget. I'm so used to the scar on my back that it's odd seing other people's backs without the scar. (I can't even remember my back without the scar being there, if that makes sense.)

imgg - The surgery did help a lot.

1) I don't have to wear a brace anymore. (I HATED that thing!)

2) I finally had perfect posture. All my life I was told not to slouch and to stand up straight. And now I can! I naturally stand up straight, and it's like I have to try hard to slouch.

Itzme, I sent this to you in a PM but I'm posting it here, too, if that's cool.

I had my surgery in May of 1999. My doctor recommended I have the surgery earlier in the summer so I could have more time for recovery.

It's major surgery, so I had to donate four units of my own blood beforehand. (My dad's the same blood type as me, so I donated two and my dad donated two.)

Each procedure is different because it depends on the person, but what they did for me was make an incision down the thoracic vertebrae. They put one piece of a steel rod down the curved part of my spine. Then they put bone chips in between the spine and the rod, making the spine "think" it's broken. Then they put the other half of the rod on the other side of the spine so that the spine 'fuses' to the rods. That's why it's called a spinal fusion.

(The bone chips came from the iliac crest, in the hip. He used donor chips because he the recovery would take longer and he thought I would appreciate not having an additional scar to deal with. The fact that donor chips helped me through surgery was what made me decide to be an organ donor.)

I think they used two units of my blood during the surgery and when I was in the hospital, they gave me the rest.

I was in the hospital for a week, and then I went home.

I got tired easily, but I tried to walk around as much as I could. We continued what we started in the hospital, so at night, my dad and I would walk to the end of our street. Then it gradually got to down the street and a little around the corner.

I brought a pillow with me to movie theatres, and for the first couple months of my sophomore year of college. I couldn't handle the chairs. In class, I had to stand up and lean against the back wall so I'd be more comfortable. (My teachers knew about this.)

I don't know about other people, but for me, surgery was recommended for me because I had a severe curve that looked like it was just going to get worse.

Recovery is a long process, and I'll find that I can't carry too many heavy things. Moving into my apartment, I found that carrying so many slightly heavy things was giving me back spasms. (That's more the muscle than the spine, though.)

I can't go bungee jumping or skydiving. (The jolt from both of those things, plus the landing from skydiving would jam my spine.) I don't care about those things. My doctor said go parasailing with caution (which secretly means 'no.')
I can't go rough horseback riding. (Again, not so much a big deal for me.)

I can't bend backwards and I get tired from sleeping in the same position in bed for too long.

I did ask my doctor if my metal rods would set off security alarms, and my doctor said no. But since 9/11 I carry a letter from my doctor in my passport saying that I have surgical hardware and it might set off the security system.

Oh, yeah, and George Clooney had spinal cap surgery.
He injured his back filming Syriana (fluid was leaking out of his spinal column) and the doctors fixed it. After wearing a neck brace for a while, he was fine.