What's behind the reason you buy a bag?

What made you buy the bag?

• Advertisement (explain type: print or ?)

• Spur-of-the-moment

• tPF

• Planned (and why?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
But the reason, hmm. It's true that in the past, I've been bored and will conjure up a "need."

I am so guilty of this - sometimes it's been a 'need' for nothing at all and suddenly I'm the proud new owner of something I can't afford! :biggrin:

grietje said:
I don't spend a lot of money on clothes and shoes but I admit to enjoying wearing a nice watch and a nice bag--that's where the luxe part of casual luxe comes in.

That's me - I have a Movado watch and whatever bag it is ...

Coach Lover Too said:
...I'm the only one that's picked tpf

oh, trust me, there's been times when I wasn't looking for any bag and suddenly I see one I had to have here - not often, but often enough!!!

BEBEPURSE and grietje - it is sad, which is why I've been thinking about it and came up with this thread idea, to get us thinking and talking.

I picked "tPF". I liked bags pre-tPF, but my purchases drastically increased once I found tPF. I never went into debt, but I was definitely buying more than I should have. Even now, I find myself taking second looks at designs that I would have previously ignored.

Ignoring tPF, my purchases are otherwise driven by design -- either aesthetics or utility, but I tend to lean towards utility.

I picked "tPF". I liked bags pre-tPF, but my purchases drastically increased once I found tPF.

Same here - (purchases increased) and I think I got crazy too, at the beginning - I remember staying up really late, glued to the keyboard, while me and my fellow handbag nuts scoured on online sale that had just started, and we'd all post our purchases and egg each other on and want to know what everybody bought, etc etc. Crazy-making, and a good way to go into debt.

I am definitely a planner. This is partly due to the fact that I have to save up for bags but partly due to the fact that I am completely obsessive in my thought process: I see a bag I want, and then I debate it for about a million years before I finally pull the trigger.

Hmm this is a tough one. It depends on what bag i buy and the price, i would say it's semi-planned/spur of the moment. I might see something i like online, think about it for a few days and then go out and buy it, that was the case for my marc jacobs bag. Other times it's spur of the moment, like once i went to winners and was browsing through the bag section and saw this gorgeousss badgley mischka purse, it was regular priced $545 but it was on sale for 220 so i had to buy it:biggrin:

Overall for me, it depends on the price of the bag
Semi-Planned(ie think about it for a day or 2): it has to be $500 or under
Spur of the moment: less than $300
Heavily Planned Out: over $500, for eg, i would NEVER buy an LV spur of the moment

I voted for "planned." Usually, I see a style/shape I like (or a specific model, even), then I look for options that will fit my budget and needs, and I think it through carefully because I can be indecisive and fickle. :P I try not to buy purses on impulse; the first and last time I did, I ended up only tolerating the bag and sold it off in less than a year.

I don't plan buying a new bag per se... when I see what I want I make the purchase..

I remember lasy year seeing a BV that I wanted... loved the look of it.. it was the knot

and went ahead and made the purchase.. glad that I did!!

I plan my bags because my budget is tight.

Sounds like you are very smart with your purchasing!

Hmm this is a tough one. It depends on what bag i buy and the price, i wou'd say it's semi-planned/spur of the moment...so i had to buy it

I've been there before - just out window-shopping, and BAM~! Look at that bag! That price! Gotta have it!!

... I try not to buy purses on impulse; the first and last time I did, I ended up only tolerating the bag and sold it off in less than a year.

I am working toward this - although I'm impressed that you made it almost a year! I can be so fickle as to change my mind in 24 hours!

I don't plan buying a new bag per se... when I see what I want I make the purchase.

So that would be spur-of-the-moment? How do you keep your closet from overflowing? :biggrin:

TPF and impulse. I see reveals and the next thing I know, I'm scouring to find the bag onlne. The sad thing is that when the bag finally arrives, I am no longer in love with it. truth be told, I have way too many bags and not enough time or arms to wear them all. I have decided to take a break from buying and am reducing my time spent on TPF.

We need to be happy with what we have and not what others have.

I shouldn't answer, cause I don't have an answer. I wish I knew why I buy so many bags, so I could get a grip. I know it's not to feel big or impress, cause I take out a LV while wearing crocs, ( I know many of you are making that face my Mom makes at this). So many colors, shapes, textures, too many too want. It's want, not need, obviously. And for the 20 buck shrinks, I have a great husband, BF, mom, job, etc, feel happy. But especially when doing the purse thing, looking at, reading about, being here, shopping, looking at ebay for hours, yikes It must be the thrill of the hunt too

We need to be happy with what we have and not what others have.

That sounds like a famous quote - if it's not, it should be!

Marie Lee said:
... yikes It must be the thrill of the hunt too

Oh YES! I never have so much fun as when I'm hunting for a bag I *know* exists, I just have to find it! I'm relentless! Well, I'm relentless in other areas of my life too, that just confirms my relentlessness!

And Crocs and LV? That's priceless!