Suit jackets for small-busted women

canadianstudies

1 <3 Lyndee!
O.G.
Oct 19, 2007
Can anyone recommend a brand of suit jackets that would flatter a small-busted woman? I'm finding that a lot of jackets gape in the chest (and it looks really, really awful!). At my widest, my chest is about 30 inches.

I am not petite - I'm 5'8" - so I need something with relatively long arms/torso, too.

Any suggestions?

It really depends on your budget -- at the lower end of the spectrum, Express has a fairly feminine cut and great length. I'm 5'7'' and own a few of their suit jackets in a 0 (I basically have no bust) and I don't find that they gape but I think the fit really depends on the width of your rib cage

As far as the higher end of the spectrum, I've always thought that Dolce & Gabbana have great tailoring and they're cut for a European silhouette so it's perfect for the more slender frame. Prada suits fit my frame perfectly as well.

You're in Canada!

I have been having the exact same trouble with suiting lately. I'm having such a hard time finding suit jackets that are slim and long enough.

Go to Aritzia. The blazers aren't very cheap ($225) but they are cut really slim and long. My bust is 33", which isn't much larger than yours, and I fit into a size 2 at Aritzia. The size 0 was really tight in the bust, and they carry as small as 00. If they don't have your size, ask an SA because they can order it in for you.

J.Crew!

We must be twins. I am 5'9" and wear a size 30 bra as well and have a hard time finding jackets that fit. J.Crew is fantastic. I have been buying the 0 blazers but I think the 00 would probably be a better fit (they make them in most of the designs lately). I buy the regular length in all of their stuff (not the tall) and have not had any problems with the suiting not being long enough.

@jordanjordan I'm so glad for your response! I'm 5ft10 and I've been looking at JCrew suiting because of the tall sizes. I need the tall pants, but I'm so small on top the 2T is too big, so I'm planning on getting the 00 (it's closest in measurements to the Aritzia blazer I have) but I was worried about the sleeves being too short.

@jordanjordan I'm so glad for your response! I'm 5ft10 and I've been looking at JCrew suiting because of the tall sizes. I need the tall pants, but I'm so small on top the 2T is too big, so I'm planning on getting the 00 (it's closest in measurements to the Aritzia blazer I have) but I was worried about the sleeves being too short.

They should be fine unless you have unusually long arms for your height. My 0 blazer sleeves fit perfectly, but I haven't tried the 00 suiting yet. The arms have been long enough on all of the blazers I have purchased and tried there.

I did buy a trench from them that had shorter arms but my tailor was able to let them out an inch or so and it was not an issue. I think it cost me $20.

If it's just the bust that doesn't fit you in a standard size then I'd suggest just having it altered. It should be under 25 bucks and you'd have a suit that fit perfectly everywhere :smile:

I'm between 5'3" and 5'4" and right on the line of petite and average fits. I accepted a while ago that I need to buy average clothes and have things altered. It makes me choose my purchases more carefully but I'm left with pieces that really fit so I like them and wear them more often. My dry cleaner hems pants for about $10 so luckily it's not a huge expense.

They should be fine unless you have unusually long arms for your height. My 0 blazer sleeves fit perfectly, but I haven't tried the 00 suiting yet. The arms have been long enough on all of the blazers I have purchased and tried there.

I did buy a trench from them that had shorter arms but my tailor was able to let them out an inch or so and it was not an issue. I think it cost me $20.

Do you mind me asking what your size is? I'm about 33 bust 27 waist, debating between ordering the 0 or 00.

Canadianstudies - I was at Benneton today and they had some slimmer jackets (size 38 is a 0/2). The only thing is they were 3 button jackets, which isn't my preference. The sleeves with a bit short on me, but I think if you were 5ft8 and not 5ft10/5ft11 like me, it would work. Jacob's size XS or 0/2 is quite slim as well, however the sleeves were a bit short for me (again, I think since you're a couple of inches shorter than me you might be OK-you could definitely let the sleeves out a bit).

Thanks for all of the suggestions, ladies! I will have to check out the US stores next time I'm in Manhattan.

Megan, I have an older Jacob jacket that fits pretty well, but I know their sizing has changed in the past few years (I can now fit into an XS, but I'm not any smaller, lol!). My arms are just a little longer than what's standard - which is frustrating because 'normal' sized clothing will oftentimes be too short and tall clothing tends to be too big and long.

I've also given up on finding pants that fit, ever. :sad:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, ladies! I will have to check out the US stores next time I'm in Manhattan.

Megan, I have an older Jacob jacket that fits pretty well, but I know their sizing has changed in the past few years (I can now fit into an XS, but I'm not any smaller, lol!). My arms are just a little longer than what's standard - which is frustrating because 'normal' sized clothing will oftentimes be too short and tall clothing tends to be too big and long.

I've also given up on finding pants that fit, ever. :sad:

Amen to that. I've had pretty good luck at Zara usually (with pants). And you'd probably fit into the Aritzia suiting really well-I needed to size up in the pants/jacket there (I was swimming in the size 0 BR jacket, but I needed a 2 at Aritzia).

I second the recommendation for theory. I'm tall (6 ft) so I need jackets that have long sleeves but I'm very slender on top with pretty much non existent boobs. Their suits fit well. I still have to have the hem let out a bit for length, but the jackets fit great and don't make me look like a pre-pubescent boy!

Do you mind me asking what your size is? I'm about 33 bust 27 waist, debating between ordering the 0 or 00.

Megan,
I can't find my measuring tape and can't remember my measurements, but I wear a size 30B/C bra and a size 25 bottoms. In J.Crew suiting I have two 0 jackets and they fit fine everywhere except the bust is pretty big. If I had it to do over again I'd get the 00. I'm hesitant to get them taken in because suit jackets never seem to look good after, it messes up the proportions or something for me.

For the suit pants I have a 0 and same with the skirts, but in some J.Crew pants I wear a 00.

I had to order several sizes of each thing to see, their sizing can be really inconsistent. I think they have a free shipping code right now (OURTREAT- look on J.Crew Aficionada for more).