Rolex Datejust OR Omega AT? Help me choose!

vagabag

O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
Okay, a few of you visited my other thread where I was debating whether a Rolex was in my future. The suggestion came to check out Omega. I did and will say that the Aquaterra is a very nice watch indeed. That being said, I do still really like the Rolex and feel like there are pros and cons to each. The SAs gave me their schpeel and I'd like to know from you owners if they were giving me correct feedback on these watches. And, also, please let me know if you love either of these on me. Thanks!

ROLEX Two Tone Datejust - pic below is a 26mm with grey dial (no diamonds b/c that would be way out of my budget). I'm debating grey versus white. I think I'd go with the larger 31mm dial if I were to decide on the Rolex. The Rolex SA claimed that the watch is super durable and can withstand almost anything. She said it's not prone to scratching and that I can swim with it, do dishes with it, etc. She said it's everything my Tag is and more. The Omega SA had a different opinion (no surprise). She said the watch is prone to scratching just as any stainless steel watch is. She also said it doesn't keep as good of time as Omegas.

OMEGA Aquaterra Two Tone (this one, I think I can get with diamond markers) - 30 mm with white dial. Watch was very pretty but the SA hesitated when i told her I do not want a watch that I need to baby. When asked if I can take it swimming, beach, etc, she said yes but not with a whole lot of confidence. She also said that sand might scratch it and that any watch is going to scratch (true, but my Tag which i've had 15 yrs, still looks pretty darn fab). She said the internal mechanism is made by the Swatch maker and keeps better time than Rolex. My biggest qualm with the Omega is that it won't be as durable as the Rolex. I'm basing this strictly on how these SAs projected themselves when i went to view the watches, though, so I'm looking for any owners to chime in.

Thanks, everyone! Here are the two:

Rolex:
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/mamacket/photo211.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/mamacket/photo216.jpg

Omega:
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/mamacket/photo213.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/mamacket/photo214.jpg

omega vote for me! I'm not a fan of fluted bezels though so the Omega has the advantage for me personally.

But then again, the rolex has a nicer two tone bracelet.

Tough call!

Actually no big preference there. Do u have a suggestion as to which is better for omega?

Are you comparing two automatics, or one auto (Rolex) and a quartz Omega?

BTW Whoops, Rolex can be had with a smooth bezel and Oyster bracelet that looks a lot like the Omega bracelet. So the fluted/Jubilee are just choices.

Both are great watches. Both will be accurate. Both are swiss made, in-house, automatic movements. Both will scratch. Both are water resistant, not meant for swimming or diving.

Personally, I feel that Rolex is a better watch; it is iconic and will last your lifetime and longer. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what you prefer on your wrist.

Are you comparing two automatics, or one auto (Rolex) and a quartz Omega?

BTW Whoops, Rolex can be had with a smooth bezel and Oyster bracelet that looks a lot like the Omega bracelet. So the fluted/Jubilee are just choices.

Yea, I've seen them both. I just went off what OP posted as options though. I wasn't sure if she was looking at both bezel styles or not.

I have a 36mm TT Datejust with the slate (darker grey dial), gold Roman numerals, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet. LOVE IT for my everyday watch. Also have the 31mm TT Datejust with Black MOP, diamond markers, LOVE IT. No regrets whatsoever with either of these watches. Will have to add though that my Cartier Tank F. quartz keeps better time than the automatics. Just an observation.

Both are great watches. Both will be accurate. Both are swiss made, in-house, automatic movements. Both will scratch. Both are water resistant, not meant for swimming or diving.

Personally, I feel that Rolex is a better watch; it is iconic and will last your lifetime and longer. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what you prefer on your wrist.

Agree with you all the way !

OP,

If your heart lean to Rolex, you should get it instead of something for less. Otherwise, you will regret and keep thinking about that.

I have to agree that you should follow your heart. Try them again, and maybe even a third time. One will surely plant itself in your brain and make you craaazy.:lol:

About the question of automatic vs. quartz, I'm very biased on this issue toward automatic. I can't justify spending big $$ on a quartz movement no matter how pretty the case. To me part of the pleasure is knowing the amazing technical achievement inside an automatic's case.

So, be clear on what part of the watch specs matter to you, and only to you. (Example is, I insist on automatic and have no need for diamonds...your mileage might vary!)

Mop is lovely but sadly also out of budget. The SA also said for the cost of mop, I may as well as well go with diamond markers and I'd have to agree

Rolex makes one of the best looking mother of pearl dial! I have not seen other watches in it's range with beautiful MOP, Omega can't beat it. I would go for MOP dial rather than diamond markers. Maybe I'm the odd one out.

Well, if both are auto watches, then they are about the same accuracy. Comparing auto with quartz, quartz will always keep it's time. Rolex is still off by a few minutes (even with daily wear). Rolex is more iconic.

I would go for the Datejust. Rolexes have much better resale values. 31mm is modern yet classic. I really love mine.