Workplace Resume Tips and Thoughts

Additionally, as someone who has read applications and made hiring decisions in the past, one of the things I really look for is that their Word document is formatted correctly if they put on their resume that they have Word skills. I don't mean to scare anyone by saying that, but in a job where you're working on files that others will have to edit and update later, really knowing Word matters. That means you know how to use style sheets, you know how to set your tabs (rather than hitting the space bar repeatedly to eyeball lining things up), you know to use the proper font rather than just hitting "bold" or "italic," etc.

See, for exactly this reason I am a strong, strong believer that you should only be sending your resume and cover letter as pdfs. Everyone has a different version of Word and formatting does not stay consistent, the most beautifully arranged resume could come out weirdly on someone else's Word version and then it makes you look sloppy. PDF all the way! In my field at least, everyone pdfs.

See, for exactly this reason I am a strong, strong believer that you should only be sending your resume and cover letter as pdfs. Everyone has a different version of Word and formatting does not stay consistent, the most beautifully arranged resume could come out weirdly on someone else's Word version and then it makes you look sloppy. PDF all the way! In my field at least, everyone pdfs.

Haha! Sure, different versions of Word could make the formatting slightly different (although not really all that different...I find the biggest issues with formatting come from Word files opened in OpenOffice. Not the other way around, and not between different Word versions).

But different Word versions don't turn set tabs into multiple spacebar spaces. That's the user using the spacebar repeatedly and Word has nothing to do with that. And they don't change set formatting into sloppy non-formatting. It's really a non-issue if the job you're applying for doesn't care how you use Word. It *is* important when your job requires you to work on shared files with others.

^But why give the recruiter another reason to eliminate your resume?

The only situations where I can think a .doc would be beneficial might be with a recruiting agency, in the event they need to tweak a phrase here or there before forwarding your CV. Otherwise, I agree - .pdf is just safer. Unless it is a guarantee that my submission will be eliminated, I'd rather use it. (Also, since my computer came with the .docx installed, I can't imagine being a job hunter and hearing that I needed to shell out for another, older program just to use .doc.)

The only situations where I can think a .doc would be beneficial might be with a recruiting agency, in the event they need to tweak a phrase here or there before forwarding your CV. Otherwise, I agree - .pdf is just safer. Unless it is a guarantee that my submission will be eliminated, I'd rather use it. (Also, since my computer came with the .docx installed, I can't imagine being a job hunter and hearing that I needed to shell out for another, older program just to use .doc.)

If you use PDF then just make sure all your files are the same format. It's important that you make it as convenient and easy as possible.

You don't need to shell out money for more software. The latest versions of Word saves in .docx as its native format (the default format if you just hit "Save"). You can use the same program and hit "Save As" to save it in .doc format. All versions of Word allow you to save down. Word is just compatible with everything and that's why it's easiest. :smile:

Just as aside: it's super easy to learn how to format your file properly and it's in your best interest because even with printed resumes and PDFs, I have seen cases where the text didn't line up in some places because of overuse of the spacebar. It probably looked aligned on screen but wasn't when printed. That looks really bad. ;)

The bulk of resumes that I have come across have always been .doc and rarely .pdf but as they are both a double click away it never concerned me. However unless you have recently upgraded your system and MS Word, .docx which is Word 2007 and later documents will not be readable. Do not forget that in the past few years many companies and certainly small businesses have not upgraded software and will probably have .doc readable PC's. To deal with the downgrade you mentioned bear in mind that current versions will prompt for a compatibility check so you can save the documents in .doc or .docx so thats not an issue.

EDIT: In the words of The Office...Thats what She (ThePoppet) said! Off by a minute!

I didnt know you can check that on a .doc, but if you could then why dont you just copy it over to a new file or save as a new file?

Also between you and me any HR department that will do that has waaaaayyy to much time on their hands.

Does anyone worry about sending .doc files and having HR check your editing history / tracking?

Does anyone worry about sending .doc files and having HR check your editing history / tracking?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about a Word file, the only way someone can see all your revisions is if you have "track changes" turned on. Here is how to make sure you have that turned off:

http://ask-leo.com/why_are_my_revisions_visible_when_i_send_out_a_word_document.html

You can see revision history if you create and edit your document in Google Docs. But if you just open a .doc file in Google Docs, you won't be able to see that.

4. Follow up everything! Follow up a resume! If you're sending to a recruiter, ask to meet for coffee. Follow up an interview with a thank you.

I would disagree with following up on your resume. I was a recruiter at one point and it annoyed me when candidates phoned to "follow up" on their resume submission. I was usually in the middle of something and I was recruiting for about 20 different positions at the same time. Just wait for the recruiter/HR to contact you.

I do agree that it's a good idea to send a thank you note after an interview. You can reiterate your interest in the position and why you would be a great person to hire.

I would disagree with following up on your resume. I was a recruiter at one point and it annoyed me when candidates phoned to "follow up" on their resume submission. I was usually in the middle of something and I was recruiting for about 20 different positions at the same time. Just wait for the recruiter/HR to contact you.

I do agree that it's a good idea to send a thank you note after an interview. You can reiterate your interest in the position and why you would be a great person to hire.

Oh I should have specified, or been more clear.. Follow up a resume you send directly to an employer, but not a recruiter. As for an HR department within a company, you can play that by ear. But following up with an email is not a bad idea. They can ignore it if they're too busy to answer (or it's not their policy to answer them).

Years ago I applied for a job that had very particular submission requirements. It was through their HR. If I hadn't followed up, I wouldn't have known that they hadn't been able to access some of the materials I had attached (because of a problem on their end). That follow up was the difference between making it to the next round in their hiring process and having my application die.

Meeting a recruiter for coffee is for when you're starting your job search to help you identify which recruiters you should work with (and to determine if you are a candidate that is well suited for them as well). They're like mini-interviews in a way. Those who aren't interested in that kind of thing won't do it. But many will and it's a good thing to do if you can. :flowers:

Thanks to everyone for the lovely advice in this thread! Most of it I had already had pounded into my head from (over)enthusiastic career services since time immemorial, but it's always good to be refreshed, and to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :smile:

Would our lovely "HR" representatives care to help me with a question that I've always wondered about? Concerning writing cover letters, specifically the "how I can make a difference at your company" part - I think because I'm a young/entry-level person with relatively little experience, I've always been stumped as to how to respond to that "prompt" in a sincere way without being, well, generic.

Beyond saying, "I'm smart, and have the scores/grades to prove it; you'll have to train me, but I learn fast, and, um, I'm sure I'll make a difference!" - what is HR looking for? Because honestly, as much as I'd like to "make a difference", being entry-level, I rather doubt I'll be able to turn your bottom line around in a month's time. And if I could do that, then I probably wouldn't be applying to entry-level jobs in the first place.

Thanks in advice, lovely TPF-ers! :smile:

I'll add one more tip, since I've seen this resume faux-pas more than once.

When it comes time to give potential employers a list of references please do not include people that are dead. :nogood:

REFERENCES:
Mrs. Margaret Sanger
Supervising Manager
(deceased)

I finally asked one of my candidates, "So how should I contact Mrs. Sanger? Through a séance??" :P

When it comes time to give potential employers a list of references please do not include people that are dead. :nogood:

REFERENCES:
Mrs. Margaret Sanger
Supervising Manager
(deceased)

I finally asked one of my candidates, "So how should I contact Mrs. Sanger? Through a séance??" :P

On the topic of references I am not really sure as to what "personal" references accomplish.

REFERENCES:
Mrs. Margaret Sanger
Supervising Manager
(deceased)

Sadly, this happened to me. I had someone listed as a reference and she died suddenly and I wasn't aware. I was mortified when the hiring manager said she was unable to reach her via cellphone. I finally called my contact's home phone number and her husband informed me that she had died suddenly from a brain tumor that had gone undiagnosed.