48/2(9+3) =? Since everyone is talking about it..

^ yes but it makes a big difference in how someone I interprets the equation. A "/" means it is a fraction and 2(9+3) is a denominator. Where as some people interperate the other divided by symbol to not make it a fraction and get confused. The real bozo is whoever came up with the equation in the first place because you are only supposed to be able to interpret an equation 1 way. They should have used a "/" symbol, or a * symbol between the 2 and the parentheses in order to be clearer on what should be done.

Exactly!

PEMDAS Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication & division, addition & subtraction in that order, left to right. The answer is 2.

PEMDAS Parenthesis, exponents, multiplication & division, addition & subtraction in that order, left to right. The answer is 2.

48/2(9+3) =
PARENTHESIS
(9+3) Now becomes (12)
Equation is now
48/2(12)
Now it is MULTIPLY or DIVIDE from left to right > >
Division appears first so you divide
48/2 = 24
We're now left with 24(12)
You would then distribute/multiple

You are then left with the answer 288.

The bottom line is that there are two ways to do this, the equation isn't written very well and people are getting two different answers. So let's all agree to disagree and say that the answer is either 2 or 288.

I got 288 and my boyfriend got 2. We are currently not speaking to each other.

He found the same freakin thread on the bodybuilding forums... Ugh....
:nogood:

why can't it be broken up? 2(12) is the same thing as 2*12. so after you're done doing the parentheses, then you only have multiplication and division left so you have to do that from left to right which gives you 288. you can't do 2(12) first because it's not 48/(2(12)).

math teacher lol!
he said you can't do anything until you get rid of the brackets first. and since it's written as 2(12) after you simplify you can't do the division until you get rid of the brackets

also if it was written as
2(9+3)
the answer would be 2

i got 288 and i felt a teeny weeny little sleepy part of my brain wake up, so either way its awesome in my book.

but, to be honest, i was taught to do the operation in the parentheses and then go left to right.

I cant believe i could do that multiplication in my peri-menopausal brain. :wlae:
seriously, its a mess in there. I found windex in the refrigerator this morning!