Why is Italian Leather better?

HappyAngel

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
I notice that when a handbag is made from "Italian leather" or "made in Itay"; ppl generally assume that it's better quality. Why is that? Those handbag are usually more expensive too. Are Italian leather handbags really better than those that are not made in Italy? I am so confused! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the craftmanship, tradition and history of producing leatherware is very unique and also the production of leather (north of Italy) of high quality is very important to make high quality products.

You can get a basic leather (like what you'll find with a regular Chloe Paddington) all over the world, and Argentina is known for their superb leather quality and craftsmanship. Great prices, too, since they devalued their currency, and I'm trying to get a bag from there now. Anyway...

The Italians are the best in the world at creating the specialty leathers like a great moc croc. I've yet to see anyone else produce that kind of product with the same quality outside of Italy.

Then there's the marketing. Can someone seriously expect to sell their "luxury" line if they openly say that the bag was entirely manufactured in China for a customer's $500+? I've noticed that virtually everyone who does this emphasizes the Italian leather part without mentioning where it's all assembled. Since consumers are much more likely to buy with their eyes and their emotions, they'll most likely assume that it's all Italian made.

Thanx for all the info, ladies!

Ammietwist: I never thought of the marketing part. I notice a lot of companies emphasize "made with Italian leather" part too ...without mention where the bag is made.

Because they have a long tradition in Italian leather products manufacturing the craftsmanship is of very high quality, there are families dedicated in this business for centuries, and they take great pride of their job and the tradition.
However most of the leather they use is imported from other countries. My family from my mother's side was in leather tanning business and they exported all their product to Italy.

Also the first "big brands" of high end fashion leather goods were Italian, see Gucci, and therefore ppl have connected the country with good quality.

IMHO the best shoes in the world are made in Italy. There is no doubt about that.

There is something to be said about Italian leather which is why all manufacturers want to get their leather from Italy. As far as where the bag is made, it is icing on the cake to acquire a handbag made by an artisan in Italy! I agree 100% with Ammietwist as far as marketing goes. I totally appreciate handmade bags but truthfully after a while, one has to understand, no matter how much labor went into an Hermes bag, (French, by the way), the bag is still priced at more than 3 times its value! Hence, marketing.

I wish I knew what attracted me to Italian leather bags such as BV, Ferragamo, Tods, etc. but the only thing I can come up with is the "feel" of their leather.

Italian leather handbags are more expensive and higher quality for a plethora of reasons. One being that the cowhides they use come from cows in controlled pastures. The south of france and Italy do this to make sure that the leather has minimum damage. Argentina, South Africa, and other places tend to use free roaming cows.

Secondly like mentioned above, most of the leather factories are family owned and operated, with artisans who have inhereted their skills through generations. therefore the bag you buy isn't mass produced, because for the most part, its been hand made.

tends to make them pretty expensive, but much higher quality!

I don't think we can make the assumption that a leather bag stamped "Made in Italy" is any better than any other. I was recently cruelly snapped out of my dreaming about Italian leather when a bag I'd fallen completely in love with starting having cracking issues within the first week of wear. I returned it to the store and check out the one other bag they had of this style, and upon close inspection, saw that it would end up doing the same thing.

So, my mistaken idea that "Made in Italy" meant something better than "Made in China" went out the window.

So, my mistaken idea that "Made in Italy" meant something better than "Made in China" went out the window.

The bag that is made in Italy, doesn't necessarily mean that the leather comes from Italian leather tanners.;)
This is why one should do a lot of research on the company, where they get their materials etc.
A bag could be all made in china (leather and manufacturing), and then a final touch is made in Italy- say a zipper or a stud- so it bares the stamp "Made in Italy".
Always dig deep for more info about the companies.

It's just known for being the best! And it is, for a number of reasons. One being the quality! The hides selected are so much better than other leather, and much more care and attention goes into making Italian leather pieces!

Also, many Italian manufacturers only use natural plant extracts to turn hides into Italian leather, which takes much longer but means they are of the highest quality. I find it can withstand more than mass produced leather too.
Make sure it IS actually made in Italy though, because people do tend to say this when it isn't exactly true!

Of course you're right, lily - I was letting my unhappiness speak for me. It was a TJ Maxx find, so there's something to be said for that, too. I think, at this point, if I know the brand is good, as long as they say "made from Italian leather" and I know the brand is a good one, I don't care where it's made.

The bag that is made in Italy, doesn't necessarily mean that the leather comes from Italian leather tanners.;)
This is why one should do a lot of research on the company, where they get their materials etc.
A bag could be all made in china (leather and manufacturing), and then a final touch is made in Italy- say a zipper or a stud- so it bares the stamp "Made in Italy".
Always dig deep for more info about the companies.