pawn shop finds - photos of your pawn shop treasures

Gorgeous ring.
Isnt there a show about a pawn shop? A high-end pawn shop? I would think that most people get rid of their stuff through ebay, etc. But did you know that it some cultures, it is acceptable to buy very good jewelry "just in case" they ever have to pawn it. I went to a pawnshop with an elderly lady many years ago. She was short on funds until her checks arrived so she very calmly removed her watch from her wrist and got money to tide herself over and then paid it out when she was able to. Apparently, they knew her well. She told me at the time it was always good to have a good watch or piece of jewelry. And then she gestured toward the shop.

Pawn Stars on the History Channel? Love that show! I love the grandfather--he comes out with the best insults or sayings.

I also sometimes buy gold and silver jewelry, if I stumble across a good deal, and I have the cash to spare, even though I have no intention of wearing it (of course, I always have that option). I keep it for a rainy day, just for the same reason as the lady you mentioned.

I love Pawn Shops........
So far I've purchased
Tiffany SS 1837 Ring $50
Tiffany SS and 18k Gold Gatelink Ring $80.
Tiffany SS Elsi Peretti medium open heart pendant with 18 inch chain. $65.
Tiffany SS Somerset Mesh Bracelet $123.00

14k Gold 1/2 carat solitaire.. $125.00.:yahoo:
1 carat total weight diamond ring for $325.00.:yahoo:

Price of gold is rising so fast that the pawn shop in our area doesn't have a chance to re-ticket items before the weight of the gold is actually more than the asking price. I wonder if this is happening anywhere else?

The pawn shop is like the only place I'll buy gold now, because if regular jewelry stores in my area even HAVE it, the markup added to the price the scrap would be makes it unaffordable. Many jewellers in my area now only have gold in wedding sets. Everything else in the store is silver or else one of the new metals like palladium or even stainless steel or something.

Gold was quite a bit over $1400 this morning and is rising, they say because of all the problems in the Middle East. Some are saying it will be $2000/oz by 2012. Who knows? But at the pawn shop, you can still pick it up, especially yellow gold, which as someone was remarking on another thread keeps being supposed to be coming back in style but never does. I think at this point, it's not going to come in style because of price!
However, I prefer YG anyway, for everything but things set with lots of diamonds.

nice to see this thread is still going.

i haven't been to a pawn shop in a while, unfortunately. i've been so busy with my daughter's soccer and other stuff that i just haven't thought about it. but seeing this thread back in circulation again, i may just have to head on over and check a few places out.

thanks for keeping it alive!

Can't post pictures until later (I'm supposed to be grading papers) but I bought one of those illusion set rings at the pawn shop the other day for $38. I looked online afterwards and found that the price of the scrap gold alone should have been $68. Of course you can't actually find a 14K white gold setting for $68--especially one as pretty as this (it's quite detailed)

Then I went to a jeweller today and he tells me the little diamond in it is a D or E VS or VVS (He can't tell entirely because its in a setting). The diamond is REALLY little, like a .05, but even at that size, that quality of diamond sells for over $100, normally.

And its a really pretty ring.