How many carats is the average engagement ring?

I think in my part of the Midwest, most rings/sets are less than 1 carat (total weight). It seems like a lot of girls I know have .5-1 carat 3-stone rings.

Personally, my engagement ring is 1 carat total weight, but that is split between 30 smaller stones. I don't have one "main" stone in my ring, but I like it that way. It's very dainty and sparkly but still has a decent presence on my finger.

It's easy to get confused on this topic after browsing TPF. There are a lot of very large rings here, but those are definitely not the norm! (not a bad thing, I love looking at them!)

^yes :yes:
It's like visiting tPF and thinking it's "normal" for every to carry Chanel, LV or Hermes :biggrin:

I think that is a very good point.

I thought the article posted earlier, http://ezinearticles.com/?Diamond-E...-a-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-2008&id=1034380, was spot on about location...especially in CA where all through the state the average is about 1ct...and higher in the big cities.

My first one was about 1.5, I upgraded at 15 years to a past, present, future setting, the center stone in just over 3 ct and the 2 side stones are 1/2 ct each...it is about average for my friends and area.

I think that is a very good point.

I thought the article posted earlier, http://ezinearticles.com/?Diamond-E...-a-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-2008&id=1034380, was spot on about location...especially in CA where all through the state the average is about 1ct...and higher in the big cities.

My first one was about 1.5, I upgraded at 15 years to a past, present, future setting, the center stone in just over 3 ct and the 2 side stones are 1/2 ct each...it is about average for my friends and area.

Pics please! :graucho:

Hi, I've been lurking. I have a 1.00 ct Radiant cut diamond. My husband originally bought a 0.5 ct Brilliant cut, but he was never happy with the clarity so 10 years ago he upgraded the diamond to a F color, and VS2 clarity. While it could be a little bigger, it sparkles like crazy, and since we could never have children together it really doesn't make sense to get anything bigger, ya know. Besides, since I never take it off, and work in a TB Lab, my gloves would probably make my ring dig into my hand!

Pics please! :graucho:

These are older (meant for showing LV accessories), but handy...

New one:

sk2.jpg

Old one:

pom2.jpg

I live in NYC and a bunch of friends have just gotten engaged (including me!) and we are all in our early to mid twenties...I would say the average is about 1.75-2 carats, and round brilliants on a pave band (no halo) are the most popular styles here at the moment.
Mine is a 2.01 carat Cartier Emerald....not a very common cut here.

Whoa, I can't believe in NYC the average carat weight is so big!! I am in my early 30's and was married in my mid 20's and (it's been 6 years) at that time my "tiny" 1 carat to me, seemed huge (especially on my tiny size 3 3/4 finger).

Whoa, I can't believe in NYC the average carat weight is so big!! I am in my early 30's and was married in my mid 20's and (it's been 6 years) at that time my "tiny" 1 carat to me, seemed huge (especially on my tiny size 3 3/4 finger).

Maybe the carat size has gone up a lot in the past year or 2, I don't ever remember seeing such huge rings on girls before I started working in the fashion industry...maybe this is average for the industry? Not sure but there are some BIG ones among my colleagues and friends.

I'm from the UK and I'd say the average is 0.35ct to 0.55ct. When my brother was shopping last year for his fiance he chose a 0.75ct and the SA's commented it was waaay above average size and even in that high-end store, a very significant purchase. A lot of women I see around the particular area I live don't even wear engagement rings.

I was actually just shopping this past weekend for my engagement ring :love: and fell for a 1.12ct stone and all the SA's were commenting this was a very large stone and were urging me not to go any bigger. I felt like referring them to here so they can see some truly huge stones :lol:

As others have said, it's absolutely easy to get carried away seeing the amazing stones on this forum and others like it and letting it warp your sense of perspective.

ETA - I read yesterday that the average spend for an engagement ring in the UK is between £1500 to £1800. Off the top of my head, this is roughly $2300 to $2800. Gives you an idea of how rings differ in Britain!

Last edited:
I have a question- what is the average quality of engagment rings? I keep hearing how NYC ( live within an hour from NY) has rings that are above 1.5-2 carats. I definately can say that through my visits I have seen many spectacular rings. I can also say through my travels to NYC I have seen many rings that were just large and did not have great color or clarity.

Also, do countries, like England, go for better quality and smaller stones? Just a thought!