What to wear in Madrid?

Hi! I live in Madrid! If you intend do to some sightseeing, wear something comfy & casual. And make sure it's warm... because the weather is getting colder and colder everyday (this weekend it may even snow! Or so I heard in the weather forecast yesterday).

Important, I advise all my foreign friends to wear a crossbody bag and keep it in sight and with themat all times!! Never leave it unattended! The tourist spots and public transportation are unfortunately plagued by pickpockets... Diane Von Furstenberg got her purse stolen last year after visiting a museum, GO FIGURE!!!!!

Hi! I live in Madrid! If you intend do to some sightseeing, wear something comfy & casual. And make sure it's warm... because the weather is getting colder and colder everyday (this weekend it may even snow! Or so I heard in the weather forecast yesterday).

Important, I advise all my foreign friends to wear a crossbody bag and keep it in sight and with themat all times!! Never leave it unattended! The tourist spots and public transportation are unfortunately plagued by pickpockets... Diane Von Furstenberg got her purse stolen last year after visiting a museum, GO FIGURE!!!!!

Hi, thanks :smile: Yeh I'm worried its gonna be freeeezing!! I'll be wrapping up thats for sure but wanted to try and stay a little bit stylish!

Hi, I will be going to Madrid in January 2011 for 3 days, can anyone recommend a good restaurant/s. I love paella and grilled food tapas. Cheap and not so expensive will be good. Thanks.

Any places to go and see in 3 days will be much appreciated.

Some famous typical restaurants in Madrid are Casa Lucio (at Cava Baja, 35), Taberna La Bola (at Calle de la Bola, 5), Casa Botín (at Calle de los Cuchilleros, 17), they serve traditional Madrilenian dishes such as Cocido Madrileño, Callos, roast suckling pig, etc.

Paella is typical of Valencia, not Madrid, but you can find a few places that serve it, most "menu of the day" restaurants serve paella on Thursdays (I've never known why).

If you want cheap and not so expesive places, try regular restaurants which offer "menú del día" ("menu of the day"), you can chose from a variety of dishes for first course, second course and dessert and those menus cost about 10 EUR.

Downtown Madrid there are three of my favorite restarurants, which offer delicioius dishes at quite sensible prices: La Gloria de Montera (at calle Caballero de Gracia 10, near the Gran Vía and Puerta del Sol, http://www.lagloriademontera.com/) and La Finca de Susana (http://www.lafinca-restaurant.com/).

Places to go and see: El Prado Museum, Thyssen Musem, La Puerta del Sol, La Gran Vía, The Royal Palace, La Plaza Mayor, Reina Sofia Museum (it's the modern & contemporary art museum).

I you are interested in shopping my favorite area is in the following streests in the same area of the city:
For luxury brands: Ortega y Gasset (Chanel, Dior, Gucci...)
Serrano is also a fantastic street, you can find there Prada, Loewe, a huge Zara, HOSS intropia, ....
Claudio Coello (Miu Miu is there, and I LOVE IT), Lagasca, Velazquez, and Goya.

Some famous typical restaurants in Madrid are Casa Lucio (at Cava Baja, 35), Taberna La Bola (at Calle de la Bola, 5), Casa Botín (at Calle de los Cuchilleros, 17), they serve traditional Madrilenian dishes such as Cocido Madrileño, Callos, roast suckling pig, etc.

Paella is typical of Valencia, not Madrid, but you can find a few places that serve it, most "menu of the day" restaurants serve paella on Thursdays (I've never known why).

If you want cheap and not so expesive places, try regular restaurants which offer "menú del día" ("menu of the day"), you can chose from a variety of dishes for first course, second course and dessert and those menus cost about 10 EUR.

Downtown Madrid there are three of my favorite restarurants, which offer delicioius dishes at quite sensible prices: La Gloria de Montera (at calle Caballero de Gracia 10, near the Gran Vía and Puerta del Sol, http://www.lagloriademontera.com/) and La Finca de Susana (http://www.lafinca-restaurant.com/).

Places to go and see: El Prado Museum, Thyssen Musem, La Puerta del Sol, La Gran Vía, The Royal Palace, La Plaza Mayor, Reina Sofia Museum (it's the modern & contemporary art museum).

I you are interested in shopping my favorite area is in the following streests in the same area of the city:
For luxury brands: Ortega y Gasset (Chanel, Dior, Gucci...)
Serrano is also a fantastic street, you can find there Prada, Loewe, a huge Zara, HOSS intropia, ....
Claudio Coello (Miu Miu is there, and I LOVE IT), Lagasca, Velazquez, and Goya.
Thank you for all your infos. I really appreciate your help Sylia!!!

By the way do I really need a winter jacket? I live in Canada and right now it is -15C with the wind chill - it's freezing!!. I wonder if Madrid is almost the same around January. Thanks.

Hi k76! You're welcome! I'm glad to be of any help!

Today in the morning we had 0ºC and by noon the temperature has risen to 5ºC. In downtown Madrid temperatures rarely go below 0ºC in winter, but never as low as -15ºC!

Madrid’s weather tends to be a bit crazy, go figure a couple of days ago I went Christmas shopping wearing just jeans, a t-shirt, and a light peacoat and today I had to bring out the wool gloves, scarf, and hat (my poor ears can’t stand the cold). And some years March is warm and lovely as if it were June!

I usually wear a down coat to work, because early in the morning it feels like freezing, but then, if you are walking or doing some sightseeing, or struggling in the public transportation (eeeek!) it might be too hot. Something multipurpose that can keep you warm and waterproof, just in case of rain, may be handy. For regular wintery sunny days, a wool coat or peacoat will do as well!

There is no Celine boutique in Madrid. You could try a store called EKSEPTION (Velazquez 28, nearest Metro station Velazquez), they carry a fantastic selection of designer brands, but I am not sure it Celine is currently among them. At IF SHOES & BAGS (Jorge Juan 22) they used to sell Céline as well, but I haven't dropped by lately.

In Barcelona there is a store called Santa Eulalia that does carry CELINE, if I am not mistaken.

Now I've been (!) I can tell you what the people of Madrid wear (at least in November). The vibe is really relaxed and casual. I saw tons of down puffa jackets - short & long and belted. Nice sunnies and a good quality leather bag. People were mostly dressed in darkish muted colours.

Be sure to visit "Retiro Park" - no one told me this before I went but i loved it :smile:

I hope you had a fantastic time!

El Retiro Park is lovely in Spring!!!! You can listen to Madrid Municipal Music Band every Sunday morning and by the end of May, Madrid's Book Fair is held in the park!

Hi, Sylia, I just came back from Madrid and we tried La Finca de Susana, on your recommendation here. It was great - cool atmosphere, pretty restaurant, the food was pretty good, not touristy at all, and cheap! It was a Saturday night and it was crowded. I hadn't made reservations anywhere and our original choice was booked, so this was one of my fallback restaurants, specifically because they don't take reservations and because you had recommended it. There was a crowd waiting for tables but the restaurant is large and the staff worked efficiently to seat everyone pretty quickly (my husband and I waited about 15 min for a table for 2). Thank you so much for the recommendation! We go to Madrid every year so I'll keep this restaurant on my list and maybe try the sister restaurant on our next trip. Thanks again!!