Custom/duty/import fees from Japan to USA

It also depends on your location in the US. If you're in Hawaii, you will definitely be charged customs. For some reason, when I'm in Illinois (I live in both Hawaii and Illinois), custom's doesn't impose a fee. Maybe it's because Hawaii has a more vigorous and staffed custom's office because of the Asian market/trade? I don't know.

ive recently bought a louis vuitton speedy from a seller in japan, im also worried as right now its been in customs for two days 'Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner'
i have no idea weather im going to be charged but i really hope now :/

i am not sure it's getting stricter or b/c of the value of the item.
i was expecting an item from canada via ground shipping (fedex)...boy it was a nightmare. and then the seller was kind enough to change it to air...i need to pay duty fee and stuff.
beware of ground shipping, if the duty is more than $200, there will be bond involved and extra broker/brokage involved....
i just hope my case was exception....it would suck if the customs getting stricter.

Sounds scary... $131 for a $500 item... What's the precise tax rate for the US these days? This link might be a starting point. Check the calculations to make sure you have not been overcharged. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/internet_purchases.xml

The USA laws say anything over $200 is fair game for taxation. eBay and PayPal require sellers to track and insure all items they post. More often than not the USA is quite lenient. But you can't expect this to happen everytime. If you get charged customs duty it does suck, but it's the USA law. If a seller declares for less than the amount that the item sold for, PayPal will only compensate for the amount declared and the seller could be subject to eBay policy violations and/or civil law if the item were intercepted. If you were selling, would you take that risk for a buyer? Sellers have no control over whether or not Customs will open and check items.

I've purchased from Japanese numerous times, however, they were all under $400. I was never charged any duty. To note, that I also did not purchase them at the same time or during a very short period of time.

I am bumping this again because I have searched and can not find anything about what the fees will be for items valued at over $200.00 I am interested in a bag from a ebayer from Hong Kong and I have never purchased from her and am not sure how she fills out her customs forms or anything so I do now know if she writes "used handbag" or what. anyone know what fees would be for a bag purchased for around $700.00??

TIA!!!

I am interested in buying a purse from Australia and it's about $900 so I am wondering how much i will have to pay... or what if the seller puts down used( it is a used purse) will I still have to pay? this whole tax thing is too confusing...

Ok so i just found this - it might be helpful , leather purses valued over $20 each but under $2000 (not so sure about this number ) - the import fee is 10% BUT ! there are exceptions :
Free (AU,BH,CA CL,D,IL,J+,JO,MA, MX,OM,P,PE,R, SG)
7.2% (E)

So I guess there is no fee for importing from : Australia ,Bahrain, Canada, Chile, D-? I assume Denmark?Israel, Jordan, J+ i assume Japan ??? , Morocco, Mexico, Oman, P - ? don't know, Peru, Singapore

Source :
http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000C42.pdf

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of buying a bag from Japan for a BIN of $285 (it's a used bag, btw) and want to know what I should expect. Thanks! :smile:

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of buying a bag from Japan for a BIN of $285 (it's a used bag, btw) and want to know what I should expect. Thanks! :smile:

There should be no problem at all. Technically your limit is $200, but in reality it is rarely imposed for a bag of that value. I have never had a US seller complain to me that they had customs duty charged, even though I insure and declare at the sale price.

There should be no problem at all. Technically your limit is $200, but in reality it is rarely imposed for a bag of that value. I have never had a US seller complain to me that they had customs duty charged, even though I insure and declare at the sale price.

Ok, great, thanks! I hope I don't get hit with an import fee, it would suck to get hit with a fee half the price as the bag, haha!