Has this ever happened to you? Broken Enamel Bracelet!

sarahguz

Jan 22, 2010
Hi Everyone!
I usually hang around in the LV subforum, but I have started to really fall in love with Hermes! About a year ago, my mom bought me an enamel bracelet, and as I was taking it off the other night, the palladium at the bottom tore off! (Attached are the pictures so you can really see what I'm talking about.) I am really gentle with everything I own, so I was shocked that it broke! Has this happened to anyone before? If so, can the H store fix or replace it? Do you think they would charge me? My local store (Beverly Hills) is really close, so I don't mind going, but we are having some awful weather so I don't really want to try going unless you all think they could do something. Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• bracelet 3.jpg
    bracelet 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,464
  • bracelet1.jpg
    bracelet1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,388
  • bracelet2.jpg
    bracelet2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,429
You should take it to your H store and (bring your receipt if needed); H will send it out to have it repaired. I do not think they will charge for this. If it cannot be repaired, another will be found for you. I would not try to fix it at all-you do not want to tamper with its repair. H is very good about upholding their product standard. Good luck and let us know what happens.

The exact same problem happened recently to my kaki Tohu Bohu bracelet after I had worn it only twice!

I brought it back to my local boutique without the receipt (had bought it at CDG airport this summer). The SA was very nice, sent it off to Paris and called me a few weeks later to pick it up. I've worn it several times since it was repaired and the problem hasn't reoccured. I wasn't charged for the repair.

P.S.: I'm a regular lurker but I've gotten FANTASTIC help and advice from this board so I thought I'd do my part and contribute!!:biggrin:

I own a bunch of H enamels and haven't had any problems, but I've heard that this can happen if you get them wet. Basically, I think the glue that holds the metal edge on will start to weaken with repeated exposure to water. I always remove mine before doing dishes and when I wash my hands I slide it way up my arm to avoid the stream of water.

I've heard that H will repair it for you or sometimes even exchange it for a new one, but an exchange may depend on the store or even the particular SA. I would take it in a see what they can do for you. Good luck!

This happened to me a few years ago. I was told that Hermes had changed the glue to an organic formulation. This glue did not hold up especially well in humid climates.
Take your bracelet back to hermes and they will repair it.

There was another thread on this a couple of weeks ago. I have the exact same bracelet in a different colorway, and the same thing happened. Apparently Hermes used a different glue on these bracelets, and they tend to fall apart (I only wore mine once before it fell apart, and it did not get wet).

I was told that this could be glued in-store without having to send it out to a craftsman.

^^^
In fact, here it is... Exact same bracelet design (in the green/gold colorway). Exact same problem.

Attachments

• brokenapparat1s.jpg
    brokenapparat1s.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,454
^^How sad of this to have happened to our bracelets! I am glad they will fix it though. I'll probably try to brave the weather (it's been raining for days here in LA!) and get it fixed.

^^How sad of this to have happened to our bracelets! I am glad they will fix it though. I'll probably try to brave the weather (it's been raining for days here in LA!) and get it fixed.

I am sure the craftswoman will be happy to re-glue it. I am in So Cal as well, and I think it is time for us to build an Ark with all this rain! lol!

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this but glad to hear that it sounds like an easy fix. I wouldn't expect you would have any issues with H standing by their product - that kind of issue with the bracelet looks like a construction issue, not something you could have done yourself. I was just in Dallas on business and splurged on some GM bangles - I will keep a close eye on them now!

BTW, I am in SF and we have been having nothing but rain since I've been back...I am sooooo over the rain!

This happened to me too, someone said that on a certain batch of bracelets or a certain number of years they used different glue and now they have changed glues.

I took mine back to my local store (not bought there) and they fixed it no charge and I haven't had a problem since.

I think that I heard that the cement they use where the bracelets are produced (Europe someplace) is less strong than the cement that is used in the US. Evidently our (American) cement is stronger, but contains an ingredient that is illegal in Europe.
I did hear this in an Hermes boutique while I was sending off a bangle for repair.