ebay seller offered to do direct paypal checkout

H-Angel

O.G.
Apr 9, 2010
I submitted my best offer for an item and the seller contacted me saying he can accept the offer if i use the paypal checkout so he doesnot need to pay the ebay fees. while i understand that ebay charges so high... i am reluctant to do this outside of ebay. i also have a 10% coupon i want to use. please advise

Make sure the item is real. Check his feedback. Ask if he will match your 10% coupon. Then decide if you want to do a transaction outside of ebay.
Paypal does have buyer protection outside of ebay, so you will be covered for snad/inr anyway.

Make sure the item is real. Check his feedback. Ask if he will match your 10% coupon. Then decide if you want to do a transaction outside of ebay.
Paypal does have buyer protection outside of ebay, so you will be covered for snad/inr anyway.

That's a great idea of asking him to match your coupon!

if at all he could ask you to mutually cancel the transaction after you received the item...both methods are against ebay rules...but if you have to choose one..take the one you´re best covered with!

Curious as to why when PayPal now covers both SNAD and INR? Is there any difference now? Especially when PayPal was better at resolving claims than Ebay anyway (for instance, easier to find a phone number and talk to a supervisor)?

When the seller is trying to 'scam' eBay out of fees, he's probably fine screwing over a buyer as well. History shows when disputes are filed on beat transactions, buyers are very well-protected and usually get their money back.

Report him for trying to do a transaction off Ebay and move on to another seller. Paying fees is part of the deal when you sell on Ebay. If he can't afford the fees, he shouldn't be selling there.

Personally, I like to deal with honest people.

When the seller is trying to 'scam' eBay out of fees, he's probably fine screwing over a buyer as well. History shows when disputes are filed on beat transactions, buyers are very well-protected and usually get their money back.

Oh, definitely agree with it being dishonest to Ebay, but I was just asking with respect to risk now that PayPal has changed its policies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any increased risk as long as it's invoiced as goods with a clear description of the goods. Wouldn't it be the same risk as buying it off of Bonanza?

I totally understand about the dishonesty with Ebay (and I would never ask a buyer to take the transaction off of Ebay), I was just curious about the risk since everyone seems to say it's risky and yet the PayPal coverage is the same now.