how hard/easy is barenia leather to maintain?

lilmonkey

O.G.
Mar 16, 2010
Does it scratch easily, like black box? I've been thinking about getting a togo or clemence but am just not crazy about the texture. I've seen pics of barenia in the reference library but any extra input would be invaluable!

Thanks!

I love barenia, but it isn't for everyone. It will scratch and darken... that's just the nature of the leather. Light scratches will rub out, but it will scratch easily and frequently. If you want a bag that will look pristine, then barenia is not for you. The beauty of the leather is that it develops a wonderful patina and gives the feel of an old saddle.

^ agree, barenia not for the faint hearted and never perfect. It scratches and marks easily :smile: but the feel and smell is heavenly (esp when new)

maybe you want to check out swift? It is smooth leather too , I have a lindy in this leather and love it so muchhhh...swift also takes color very well, many many gorgeous color in this leather ...

Barenia is a "casual" leather. It is not hard to maintain if you know what to expect and if you love grungy look.
Let me put it this way: "Every single time you will handle your bag, you will certainly leave a mark, or a scratch which with time will develop into a beautiful and natural patina". But, Can you live with this idea? If the answer is yes, then go for it - if you aren't sure, and think that you will be so careful that your Barenia will never get any scratches then this leather is not for you. :smile:

If you can't handle the first scratch on Barenia, like me, try a pre-loved one, that is what I do, so I feel happy even with more and more scratches are adding on it and I love it even more :love:

If you can't handle the first scratch on Barenia, like me, try a pre-loved one, that is what I do, so I feel happy even with more and more scratches are adding on it and I love it even more :love:

about the scratches - box leather can be refurbished while barenia will be permanent

good to know.. so much to learn about H. thank you ladies and thank you OP:smile:

about the scratches - box leather can be refurbished while barenia will be permanent

Actually that's a misconception. Deep scratches on box cannot be refurbished either, only light ones can. Ditto for barenia. I have both leathers in both Bs and Ks and I'd say the reality is that barenia is "marked" easily, not "scratched", by even finger tips. Everytime you brush a nail lightly across it will show. But it rubs out. Box takes a bit more to "mark" but you need to spa it out, it cannot be rubbed out. But either way, light marks can be removed. Deep marks cannot. They're not for those who want their bags to look pristine all the time.

Reactions: sinesine
I have had both Barenia and Box (and Togo and Chevre and Clemence!). For me Box was easier to maintain and enjoy than Barenia. I did not find it as easy to rub out marks on barenia as others seem to say, and I found that moisture or water IMMEDIATELY and permanently marred Barenia whereas if i got water on my box leather there would be no mark or blistering if wiped off right away. While Barenia looks very chic once weathered, getting to that point was too painful and the leather goes through a very awkward looking stage that is not aesthetically pleasing to me. When I combined that with the fact that I found Barenia to be very heavy (in a 35 birkin), I came to the conclusion it wasn't a great choice for me. I now have a VN 32 HAC that I adore and for some reason, I have greater comfort with this leather, how it patinas, etc. over time than I did the Barenia. Go figure! :smile:

Reactions: bagaholic1