torn purse lining repair?

nursie

selective hoarder
O.G.
Sep 29, 2010
i've bought a bag that has a snag/hole/tear/fray from where the zipper caught in the lining (i'm assuming proably from handling at an outlet, but maybe just from the previous owner..bought on ebay...and yes i did make a thread about something else being my last bag purchase for 2010 but i am a liar obviously)

i figured it's a pretty easy repair with needle and coordinating thread, and a frankenstein like scar on the interior of my bag won't bother me. i thought i'd just neatly cut the whole frayed area out and make a neat stitch right along the proper seam.

but then i started doubting myself, and figured i'd ask if anyone else has had to darn their coach lining.

from pictures the hole/tear area appears to be maybe around nickle sized.

here's the only pic i have so far (borrowed from 'bay, hope that's ok seller from somewhere in the universe!) i have not received the bag yet, hope it doesn't look massively larger in person!

what do you think? otherwise the bag is perfect

alexandrarepair.jpg

I always say this is my last bag for awhile!!! LOL Coach certainly sucks you in to wanting more!!!

When you get the bag, If you can sew and don't mind fixing the lining, go for it! You could always call or email Coach and ask if they would fix it. I am sure for a fee.

Good Luck!!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

i personally doubt coach will fix that. i had to send a bag with loose stitching on the interior pocket. the divider stitching of the 2 slip pockets. they could not do it! i would have thought that could be, done very easy looking for them. your looks more complex for them lol, i would just try to fix myself.

send to coach?ohh nooo...i'm determined imma fix it myself!

now that i've thought about it more, i think if i open the seam there beside it,tuck in the raw spot, and just resew the seam it will be invisible (mostly). i can sort of sew but i should have paid better attention to my mama!

lol "i am a liar obviously" - can't tell you how many times i've said i'm done for now and i get right back into it.

i think you could fix that! it's pretty close to the seam and up pretty high so it won't look too obvious.

can i ask what bag? it's metallic! will this fill the void or are you still loving that silver msb? :smile:

Hi, Nursie. Here's my suggestion:sad:1) Go to the fabric store and buy a scrap of fabric, same material and color as the lining, or as close to it as possible. Then cut a square or circle patch from that fabric large enough to cover the hole in the lining (maybe half an inch larger). Stitch it onto the lining, covering the hole. Make sure to tuck in the edges of the patch (about 1/4 inch wide) as you go along so it won't fray. In case I confused you, just google how to sew a patch over a hole. I'm sure you'll find step by step illustration. Or (2) Buy a nice stick-on patch (kind of like applique) and just put it over the hole. I used to find those at fabric stores a while back. Just make sure it's larger than the hole.

I hope this helps.

thank you rlin9200, i am going to try something for sure! i just wish it would hurry up and get here so i can be certain i didn't buy a dud! in reference to the thread about 'men just not having a clue': i was talking to a friend on the phone about how i plan to stitch this hole in the lining, my husband overheard me and said i could just staple it. :Push:

danimeex, once it gets here i can take 'something silver' off my forum signature. i love the madison shoulder bag in silver, but i dont think i'll ever find one at my price point :sad:
i do love the style of the alexandra, i mean really love. so this is the gunmetal alexandra!

^ i know what you mean, it's totally out of my price point too. i'm currently trying to convince myself it's too large for me lol. yayay for flexible goals!

hahahaha i am laughing at your husband's suggestion to staple it. HILARIOUS.

I've had quite a bit of experience working with delicate fabrics and would like to offer some suggestions and tips.

This type of fabric shreds and frays easily when you sew it, so you will definitely need some sort of patch or be willing to sacrifice 3/8ths of an inch from either side of the hole that you can fold back to create two uncut edges to sew together. If you don't mind taking a bit of time and challenging your dexterity it is definitely possible to create a nice, tidy seam that could very well be forgotten about.

If you try to do this repair with a raw edge, it will easily shred the fabric as you put things in the bag and the seam has pressure put on it. This will mean an even bigger hole in the future.

Other great options as mentioned before would be an adhesive patch, or finding some matching fabric to make a patch. If you choose the latter, again, make sure to fold the edges under so you don't shred the raw edge. Take time to make nice, small, even stitches and I think you will be pleased with your handiwork.

thank you rlin9200, i am going to try something for sure! i just wish it would hurry up and get here so i can be certain i didn't buy a dud! in reference to the thread about 'men just not having a clue': i was talking to a friend on the phone about how i plan to stitch this hole in the lining, my husband overheard me and said i could just staple it. :Push:

danimeex, once it gets here i can take 'something silver' off my forum signature. i love the madison shoulder bag in silver, but i dont think i'll ever find one at my price point :sad:
i do love the style of the alexandra, i mean really love. so this is the gunmetal alexandra!

You are so welcome.

Staple? LOL!!! At least he didn't suggest gluegun.