Wearing your first designer bag/wearing your bag for the first time...

xruletarusax

Dec 29, 2009
I recently bought a Balenciaga City. :yahoo:It's my first and only big designer bag as of now. But I'm paranoid about/while using it!

I've got my Bal, I moisturized, Apple Garded it to death, squished/massaged it a bit and stuffed it when in storage... I finally got the nerve to wear it today (to work--ie from the door to the car and from the car into work). It's now sitting on it's own chair. :P

But the whole time, my internal dialogue was: Can't move my hands too quickly or I'll get nail marks on the leather. Should get a new make up bag, the corner might scratch in the lining. No, it looks pretty hard-wearing in there... Darnnit the knit hat left fuzzies in the bag. I'll lint roll it. Will it leave a sticky residue? Maybe the bag shouldn't knock against my body, don't want the back to wear more than the front. Hmmmm... etc

But at least I looked great while being a "freak" about it.

Were you kind of paranoid about your first nice bag? Or do you go through this with every new bag. Or am I just weird?:Push:

Too weird...no, I'm just kidding! I do the same thing, even with just Coach bags. I just got a new patent bag and I was freaking out about it touching any sharp objects, picking up dog fur, slouching the same way for too long....so you're in good company! :nuts:

i was a little paranoid w/ my first nice bag, but i quickly realized super babying them made owning a bag not fun. now, i do try to take car of them but no way do i completely baby them.

w/ every new bag i get, though, i am very careful for the first few days. after that, i just treat it like "my" bag. carefully but not super cautious

Just don't get too freaked out by your first scratch or smudge. It's bound to happen even though you baby your bags, just like I do. The best thing to do is to just enjoy wearing it but don't abuse it.

I don't think you are weird at all.

When I first got my Chanel 2.55, I only "wore" her around the house. Then I got more courageous and wore her out on nice occasions. But then something bad happened: While I was out on the street, in the rain, the chain broke and the bag fell into a puddle. I was horrified! Luckily the water did not do any harm, but I had to ship her off to Chanel and it took them 3 months to exchange the damn chain. I was not impressed with their service whatsoever, and really expected better quality from a brand-new Chanel.

Since then, I must admit I haven't used my 2.55. At all.
I got a few Marc Jacobs and one Alexander Wang bag, and I'm not babying them that much, but I find myself thinking about wearing them off too much, too.

I try to change that. This has resulted in not purchasing another super-expensive bag in quite a while. I now plan on only buying bags that I can use 100% the way I want to, without thinking about how much it cost all the time. There are a lot of nice leather bags out there…

I don't think you are weird at all.

When I first got my Chanel 2.55, I only "wore" her around the house. Then I got more courageous and wore her out on nice occasions. But then something bad happened: While I was out on the street, in the rain, the chain broke and the bag fell into a puddle. I was horrified! Luckily the water did not do any harm, but I had to ship her off to Chanel and it took them 3 months to exchange the damn chain. I was not impressed with their service whatsoever, and really expected better quality from a brand-new Chanel.

Since then, I must admit I haven't used my 2.55. At all.
Oh my gosh! So sorry that happened to you!

Stories like that have been turning me off from Chanel. But they're just so darn beautiful!

I hope you'll wear your Chanel again though. Don't want to waste it beautifying JUST your closet. :biggrin:

i was a little paranoid w/ my first nice bag, but i quickly realized super babying them made owning a bag not fun. now, i do try to take car of them but no way do i completely baby them.

w/ every new bag i get, though, i am very careful for the first few days. after that, i just treat it like "my" bag. carefully but not super cautious

I know, I know... That's what I tell myself too.

Hopefully it'll get through to me soon. Haha

Yesss! I used to be sooo paranoid with my first few designer bags! Omg...I remember back in like, 2004 I used to be obsessed with those cute star bags that Nicky Hilton designed for Samantha Thavasa... I finally decided to "splurge" and buy one, and I was almost too afraid to even carry it. First off, it was autographed by Nicky at Kitson, so I didn't want it to rub up against anything, for fear the autograph would wear off. Second, it was white... I remember being sooo paranoid at the clubs when it was on my shoulder cuz I thought someone would accidently bump into me and spill their drink on it, or worse yet, burn it with a cigarette! Like you said, when I went out, my bag would even have it's own chair and I pity the fool who tried to move it of the chair!!!

One of my next "big" designer purchases was a Coach ski bag. It was made of gorgeous white satin with rabbit fit trim. I remember the one night after the bars closed...around 4am...we went out for breakfast. Of course the place was packed, and even though there was limited seating, my "baby" had it's own chair. I remember this guy with greasy fingers comes over to talk, and decides to pick my bag up with his greasy fingers and set it on the FLOOR so he could sit there! Let's just say I didn't take it well... I totally flipped out, screamed at him (said some realllly not-so-nice things), tried to hit him, and then started crying! Haha. I'm sure me being drunk played a key role, too.

Nowadays, I carry better brands, but I don't worry about them as much. I think that's because before, I only HAD 2 or 3 good bags...so they were valued more by me. Now I have quite a large collection, so I don't worry as much, because I buy my bags to USE. That's not to say that I still don't get majorly ticked off when a stranger moves my bag, or when the girls at work set their coffees near it in our "bag" cupboard. Sure I worry sometimes, but it's nowhere near as bad it was when I only owned a handful of bags. :smile:

I think the key is to keep using it. When it eventually gets a little scuffed up, you won't start to care so much about keeping it in ~pristine condition. Because unless you are a reseller, bags are meant to be used and enjoyed! Not displayed in your closet like a musuem piece! I have done this with all of my bags, I get over the OCD really quickly once it's been worn a few times :biggrin:

I think the key is to keep using it. When it eventually gets a little scuffed up, you won't start to care so much about keeping it in ~pristine condition. Because unless you are a reseller, bags are meant to be used and enjoyed! Not displayed in your closet like a musuem piece! I have done this with all of my bags, I get over the OCD really quickly once it's been worn a few times :biggrin:

Glad to hear that the paranoia is a normal part of owning nice bags!

This philosophy is exactly what I apply to fender benders too. Though I don't own nor value a nice car for myself. ;)

I will normally be a freak about my bag for the first month or so, and then I just stop worrying about it. I figure that if I worry so much about my bags, then I'm not really enjoying them. They almost always have their own seats though, and if that's not possible then they sit in my lap/on my chair/on the bag of my chair, NEVER on the floor, since the floor is disgusting, so in some regards I still baby them, but I don't worry about small scratches and stuff like that.