Learning to take it slow...

SCL

Dec 23, 2005
I was driving to the office today...thinking...(SoCal traffic, you know)... Falling in love with Hermes is a true test of my critical thinking and reasoning skills... BH (before Hermes, as opposed to Beverly Hills or Bal Harbour), I think I purchased a new bag every 1-2 months (DH would say multiple bags in 1 month on occasion)... It seems I developed a mentality related to the seasonal nature of the collections...and the need to "score" desired bags when possible...

AH (after Hermes, as opposed to Aiea, Hawaii *had to look that one up*), I am learning...slowly...to take a deep breath and think things through...

The beautiful thing is...I really have no need to rush...LOL...summer is not here, yet...and I wear (something) black year-round... (Not thinking about vintage...at least not yet...)

Hmmm...sounds like a 12-steps confession... Well, hoping that putting it in writing will assist with the waiting process...(im)patiently waiting for my gold birkin...holding off on a major unplanned purchase until my planned unplanned purchase (on travels or special call)...

DT is still in the closet...

I'm the same way and that's why I'm so glad this forum is here. If I tried to talk to my DH about all of my bag whims and the almost daily changing of my mind regarding color, HW and size, I'd be out on the sidewalk!
Because the variables on these bags can be readily tweaked and changed, it adds an all new dimension to purchasing one. It takes focus!!!
As far as IT bags, it's so refreshing not to have to chase the lastest thing all of the time. True, I chase EVERYTHING Hermes, now, but I know my purchases have real staying power and my money isn't being wasted.

SoCal

What you wrote struck a cord in me as well. I need to slow down too and enjoy what I have, instead of always thinking of what to get next...

SoCal (another GREAT thread BTW), Archangel (that sentence above "SUMS IT ALL UP IN A few good chosen words), and GT -

I totally agree with you all!! Just had a talk with DH and he is supporting the habit, but I NEED to SLOW down now, and enjoy what I have. I WILL STILL "TRY" to get a bag (or two) in Paris, but for now.....I have to think about the FUTURE and ENJOY the bags I have and the accessories, too!!:yes:

Same here...when you guys figure out HOW to slow down, please advise lol!! Seriously, I was thinking myself...if I don't have a bag I'm lusting after, I find myself cruising e-bay just to LOOK for something to WANT!!! This is not good...I guess some smaller items ARE better than another IT bag...but I also need to take a rest...it's exhausting!! And because I'm buying...I have to keep looking for things to sell in place lol!!!

I WILL STILL "TRY" to get a bag (or two) in Paris, but for now.....

My goal as well...falls under the category of planned unplanned purchase(s)... I found myself tempted to call around this week...before the price hike and all...sick on the couch and all...and resisted... Commonsense (somehow) prevailed... I have one bag on order...I have an SA "on the lookout"...and I have some fabulous experiences ahead (SF...NY...Europe...) I would be so disappointed if I were not prepared for (or would feel guilt in relation to) my birkin purchase (when goldie arrives)...if I had to turn down a desired bag my SA called me on...or if I saw something amazing on my travels and racked up a credit card to "do it all"...

I am trying to think more "French" in this respect (LOL...just finished reading Entre Nous)...a few fabulous bags is really fabulous (and I love my current bags)...acquire over a lifetime as opposed to over a month, year, etc.

One is forced to slow down because of the wait lists. Makes us think about what we really want if and when we see it in person. With other brands, it's instant gratification to walk in a boutique and buy the latest bag off the shelf -- after a while, one just keeps going back for a quick fix.

I'm learning to take it slow too. Although finances have a lot to do with it (until I find a job lol), I am really just enjoying what I have right now and really taking the time to think about what my next purchase will be. I had a dream the other night about the JPG Kelly. :love:

Great thread.

I agree with you Shoes, I sometimes find myself "cruising e-bay just to LOOK for something to WANT!!!" Or going to an H boutique determined to come home with something. I have a scarf in an orange box still tied with ribbon from a December shopping adventure!

It's good to take a step back, breathe and enjoy what I have (and enjoy what everyone else is finding through tpf).

SoCal, I am right there with you! I used to buy the newest "it" bag from every season!!! But AH, I've learned to wait and buy what I really want and not just settle for what's out there NOW!

I am trying to think more "French" in this respect (LOL...just finished reading Entre Nous)...a few fabulous bags is really fabulous (and I love my current bags)...acquire over a lifetime as opposed to over a month, year, etc.

Actually, if we were being really French about it, we'd only have the ONE Hermes bag in our closet! I like your lets-pace-ourselves attitude better. :smile: And you are so right. You'll definitely have plenty of opportunities in this year alone to see some fantastic H bags that you may not have even considered!

Actually, if we were being really French about it, we'd only have the ONE Hermes bag in our closet! I like your lets-pace-ourselves attitude better. :smile: And you are so right. You'll definitely have plenty of opportunities in this year alone to see some fantastic H bags that you may not have even considered!

LOL...oui, only trying to think somewhat French...