Guy on ebay offered me $50.00 off a purchase if I go through paypal. Will I be

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
protected if I enter the auction number? Also, if something goes wrong, can I prove it was from ebay because I saved the emails? If it is risky, I will just pay up the 50 bucks and be safe. Am I protected for snad, or a box of rocks? Thanks!

I think once you go off Ebay you're asking for trouble. It is against their rules to help circumvent their fees, and too big a risk IMO. Paypal is supposed to have better protection for transactions outside of EBay as of November 1st, but it is risky. Saving the ebay emails probably will do you no good, because you went outside Ebay for the transaction.

I wouldn't do it. . . . but how does he want to pay? This makes a difference I think.
He wants me to pay through paypal. he will invoice me the amount and he offered me 50 off the transaction. I guess 50 bucks is worth getting the item safe and to make sure I dont end up screwed. I thought if I entered the auction listing, I would be protected. Hmmm

• Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Protection for Buyers. Section 13 (Protection for Buyers) has been amended to reflect changes in PayPal’s protection for buyers. PayPal Buyer Protection covers eligible buyers for eligible items they purchase from sellers on eBay and, now, off the eBay website if they are not received -“Item Not Received” - or are “Significantly Not as Described.”

On Paypal do you pay by Credit Card? That is safer than through your bank account. With a credit card through Paypal, I guess you could do a chargeback if you had to.

• Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Protection for Buyers. Section 13 (Protection for Buyers) has been amended to reflect changes in PayPal’s protection for buyers. PayPal Buyer Protection covers eligible buyers for eligible items they purchase from sellers on eBay and, now, off the eBay website if they are not received -“Item Not Received” - or are “Significantly Not as Described.”
So, I would be covered. Very good to know. Thanks! I hope they honor that if there is a problem!

I wouldn't do it, you're going to have a hard time saying something is not as described (if it comes and it's damaged, a fake, etc) if you don't have an auction as proof to compare it to.

Linda

Do not send the money as a gift.

wondering if you would be covered if the seller send request under service instead of goods?

If you're going to do it, make sure that the PayPal invoice is for Goods. Not a personal transaction, not a gift, and not for a service.

It is also important that in the seller's message he describes exactly what the goods are.

Unless you already know and trust this seller, I would go through ebay and pay with PP using a CC. It's just not worth $50 if something goes wrong. Depending on the item and its price, he is saving a lot in ebay fees if he is offering you $50. But YOU will be the one who pays if it goes south.

Isn't this similar to buying from bonz or malleries? Wouldn't you have the same buyer's protection (SNAD and INR)?

I've seen several sellers listing on both ebay and bonz and malleries. Just trying to understand if buyer's protection is the same.

You could ask him to list it on Bonz so you have a listing as proof of the description. He is likely offering a discount because of the fees being saved by not using ebay, but unless it's a pricy item where the fees exceed $50, I'm not sure what the benefit is of bypassing ebay in this case.

I wouldn't. They don't cover snad, only inr. So if it's fake, damaged, or anything is wring with it your out of luck. I tried to help my bf file a snad for an item he found in a car forum and paid through paypal. After going through the steps and escalating the case cause the seller wouldn't cooperate paypal sent a email saying that the case was resolved in the sellers favor because under paypal terms they only cover inr.