Please help! I think I just bought a fake Chanel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxybee86

Jun 7, 2010
First things first. Do I have reason to worry?

I bought a Chanel Jumbo off Ebay. (Black, lambskin). The leather does not smell like leather. It smells "sweet" synthetic-like. What is the bags supposed to smell like?

The stitching is not perfectly even and "in line". Is that something which is NEVER supposed to happen.

I will post pictures if someone would be so kind to help!

Thank you.

The bag, in my eyes, looks stunning! It´s heavier than the fakes i´ve held/seen before. It seems more luxurious.. Although, I reacted strongly about the smell! And the stitching, it´s uneven! And the fact that it does not say "made in France/Italy" inside the bag made me think twice. The serialnumber inside matches authenticity card.

PICTURES: (I´m sorry! They are Iphone pictures, I don´t have my good camera at hand. Do your best, please! My stomach is twisting here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25376261@N06/5244948924/

wow i have the same exact bag the vintage jumbo xl

congrats op! no worries your bag is real, but for peace of mind, next time, have it authenticated with our dedicated atc ladies before buying

enjoy your bag in good health

wow i have the same exact bag the vintage jumbo xl

congrats op! no worries your bag is real, but for peace of mind, next time, have it authenticated with our dedicated atc ladies before buying

enjoy your bag in good health

Oh my God, are you serious? Have I been freaking out over nothing? This fake-universe is making me completely paranoid!! Thank you, life saver, I was about to jump out the window! You made me a little calmer, I must say! :smile:

But why does the bag not smell like leather, is it because the heavy dyeing of the leather?

And why is the stitching kind of "uneven"?

I feel so stupid!

Congrats! I have this bag too. No worries, your bag is perfect. LOVE the quality of vintage bags.

Enjoy your new bag!

ETA: Your bag looks symmetrical, don't see anything uneven. Your bag is from the 90s so I suppose the leather smell has worn off a bit? If it's a sweet smell, maybe the original owner took it in for a spa treatment?

Last edited:
I can not tell you how happy I am! I don´t know you guys, but I love you.

Thank you all so much!

Still, I would always think leather would smell like.. well.. leather. But this one smells synthetic. I have to believe it comes from the almost excessive dyeing of the fabric.

Congrats! I have this bag too. No worries, your bag is perfect. LOVE the quality of vintage bags.

Enjoy your new bag!

ETA: Your bag looks symmetrical, don't see anything uneven. Your bag is from the 90s so I suppose the leather smell has worn off a bit? If it's a sweet smell, maybe the original owner took it in for a spa treatment?

I no longer have no worries, thanks to you guys. Spa treatment!! I love how you are indirectly (or perhaps quite directly) making fun of me as a rookie with no clue :biggrin: Sorry, I feel stupid... I was totally freaking out though..

I no longer have no worries, thanks to you guys. Spa treatment!! I love how you are indirectly (or perhaps quite directly) making fun of me as a rookie with no clue :biggrin: Sorry, I feel stupid... I was totally freaking out though..

^ Sorry I made you feel that way. :hugs: I'd freak out too. We're all here to help.

I was just speculating as to why it smelled sweet when it should smell like leather (even though it's a vintage). Maybe it's just the smell of the leather conditioner? Maybe you're right...it's a result of a re-dye job. Good to know cuz I've never had this done before.

As smoothoprtr mentioned, it's handmade so each bag has it's own "character". Your bag is gorgeous! Here's to more Chanels coming your way...Chanel is so addicting!

Status
Not open for further replies.