Think I might get a Black City for Christmas... but I'm scared.

akillian24

Flap Happy
Aug 16, 2008
.... of wear & tear.

I'm not super hard on bags, but I don't baby them either. I've never had a Bal bag, love the look - and would thoroughly enjoy adding one to my collection - however in doing my research there seems to be durability issues with black Bals? Either fading, turning green, worn edges, etc....

Am I better to opt for a different color? Thanks in advance. :confused1:

Yay!! I feel significantly better now. Phew! Would ya'll believe I don't have a single black handbag? I always start out looking for black.. but then end up getting whooed by some other color - reds, purples.. beige..... it's pathetic!

I love this picture of Nicole Richie with her Black City. It is a 2005 bag, but she is still photographed carrying it recently. It may not look new (and even a little too worn at times), but it still looks chic and classy IMO. If all my other bags had to go, I would keep the Black City. As far durability goes, I wouldn't "throw around" any $1000+ bag and expect it to last, lol.

Attachments

• nicolerichiebalenciaga-1-1.jpg
    nicolerichiebalenciaga-1-1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 183
I love this picture of Nicole Richie with her Black City. It is a 2005 bag, but she is still photographed carrying it recently. It may not look new (and even a little too worn at times), but it still looks chic and classy IMO. If all my other bags had to go, I would keep the Black City. As far durability goes, I wouldn't "throw around" any $1000+ bag and expect it to last, lol.
Haha Cathy, not like we haven't tried, right? (to throw them around.) Black is the best! My entire collection of (hate to say how many, but LOTS) of Bals are all black. Well I do have a few browns, but blacks are always the ones I use the most. Currently carrying my 06 black pony hair city with pewter hardware. But I do LURVE that LE 2010 lizzard embossed black city, CBarrus (just giving it a rest);) I am going to have to post a pic of those two side by side.
To the OP, GET THE BLACK. You won't be sorry!

Haha Cathy, not like we haven't tried, right? (to throw them around.) Black is the best! My entire collection of (hate to say how many, but LOTS) of Bals are all black. Well I do have a few browns, but blacks are always the ones I use the most. Currently carrying my 06 black pony hair city with pewter hardware. But I do LURVE that LE 2010 lizzard embossed black city, CBarrus (just giving it a rest);) I am going to have to post a pic of those two side by side.
To the OP, GET THE BLACK. You won't be sorry!

Yep! All my BBags are black or brown:biggrin: And, I picked up the NM LE in Noir, too:graucho: Glad you are still loving Miss Lizzy!

Ya'll are the best!!! I'm not only not-scared now - I'm trying to figure out how I can wait until Christmas in order to see if Santa (DH) was able to get one!

And - even crazier is that while I've scoped out Bbags for a good 8+ months - I've never seen one carried in my area ... until last night!! It was the black city with GGH or RGGH..... I think the latter.
It was even more gorgeous IRL than pictures. The leather looked snuggly and I think it's fate, LOL!

I was asking for GSH, but this RGGH (even though I don't typically wear gold) is stuck in my head..... .... I suspect they are both amazing!

OMG, you so need a Bal Black. I LOVE mine with all my heart. I have a City with GSH as this is my preference for HW, but I think every hardware looks good on Bal Black.

If yours does ever fade there are many ways to fix that over in the Maintain/Care threads.

Seriously, I adore mine, you really do need one, hee! You will truly love her, she is one sassy naughty number.

ITA. Black city is really my most used and loved bal. A total classic.