First bag: Which style?

Hi all! I'm a long time Coach admirer and new shopper! After all this time I decided to finally take a plunge and get a Coach bag. The main reason I've been hesitating is because I usually dress very casually (jean and sweater/tshirt) but I'm beginning to think some of the bags can fit the outfit anyway and so comes my questions!

Which one out of your Coach bags do you use most often/you think is most efficient for daily use? Which one held up the most?

In answering, is it the style of the bag or the colors that affect your choice more?

Which bag would you recommend as the first? Also, should I buy from the outlet or retail store for the first time? Decisions, decisions!

I think I like crossbody styles more but if I find a cute enough over the shoulder that will be good too!

I'm looking forward to all of your answers! Pics would be great too! I'm new on this forum so sorry if this is an overly done question. ;)

It all depends on what your personal style preference is really, since Coach makes soooo many different styles/materials/sizes/colors, etc. I am kind of biased because I don't really like satchels very much (although I do have a couple), but alot of ladies on here love them. Your popular answers will most likely be:

Zoe: goes over the shoulder and has a nice slouch, comes in different sizes, and now the MFF version has a crossbody option

Maggie: has two over the shoulder straps and 3 interior divided compartments for great organization. There's the original Maggie, which has a pleat detail but everyone complains about the straps slipping off the shoulder (me included), there's the next version Maggie, which does not have the pleat detail but probably the same problem with the shoulder straps, and then there's the new Mia Maggie, which has some extra hardware loops where the straps connect to the bag, and I've read that the straps seem to do a little better, and this one is back to the pleat detail

Sophia: almost everyone on here is in love with this bag, you should have no trouble finding any pics/reviews of this one! :smile: It comes in two sizes and has a big open compartment with zip top, two satchel handles (some can carry it over the shoulder this way too), and a longer strap for over the shoulder. It comes in leather, sateen, patent, croc.....

I'm sure others will add more, but my personal faves are none of the above. I have around 20 something Coach bags, and I can tell you, only a few of them make it into my regular rotation. And I can easily tell you which are my faves, and why:

Kristin hobo: comes in two sizes (I prefer the large hobo), has great slouch, can be worn as a hobo over the shoulder or as a crossbody by the long strap, has an exterior pocket which is great for keys, phone, whatever, and for me this bag is super comfy to carry. I have two of the large hobos, a black and a brown leather. It also comes in signature prints if you prefer that.

Hamptons hobo or flap: can be worn on the shoulder or crossbody, has that great Coach turnlock classic detail, 3 interior divided compartments, and it's comfy to carry and very classic

Charm totes: these didn't get much love on here but I really love mine, I have two. Can be worn as a shoulder tote or crossbody, roomy interior, and have this little chain on the outside that has a little pouch attached to the bag. I like it because the rings on the chain are on a spring closure, so you can spring them open and add fobs and charms to your heart's content!

Legacy bags: everyone loves Legacy!

Alot of these bags you'd have to hunt for in the outlets or ebay or something, like Zoe, Legacy bags, older style Maggie, and some of the deleted Kristin colors, but others you can still find in stores or on the Coach website.

Sorry for the novel! I'll try to find some pics of the bags I favor and post them here.

Maggie, older style
68e93777.jpg

Kristin hobo, never mind the wristlet :smile:
DSCF1986.jpg

Hamptons flap, and I got a matching wristlet, too
DSCF1980.jpg

Charm totes
DSCF1949.jpg

Hamptons hobo
7774f0b9.jpg

I love my three small Sophia bags in crimson, black gathered, and cobalt. I also love the leather on my acorn Alexandra. I have a large Zoe (original FP) that is great too, but it is in repair at Coach right now.

If I dressed casually and were going to buy first coach, I'd be lookin' for an Alexandra in either acorn, gunmetal or black.

That bag is classy and can be dressy or casual, crossbody, satchel or shoulder bag.

They can be had on the bay now for around $200. The leather is slouchy but durable and I think it's a bag you would have for a loooong time.

I started my Coach collection last october. My first one was crimson Sophia, then black Alexandra, then sequin groovy and sequin wristlet and now I am after a madison top handle. I love my small, carefully selected collection.

I don't currently own a lot of Coach bags right now, I've sold most of them. Recently my husband told me I could get a new one with PCE for Christmas, but you know what? I love my gunmetal Alexandra so much, I don't even want a new one.

You can carry her three ways: satchel, shoulder or crossbody. She's super roomy and the leather is pebbled and gets slouchier over time.

I believe most colors of Alexandra are only available at outlet these days or eBay. She's just so versatile and the perfect size! Even though the gunmetal is peeling/flaking, I don't care, she's just so perfect.

Ohhhh, your first Coach.....how exciting!!

You always get more bang for your buck at an outlet - and especially if there's a coupon to go with it (like there was a 30% off coupon the past few days), but if you fall in love with something that's been revealed here, it might be new and you'll have to wait for it to hit the outlet. Realize that most things in the outlet are MFF bags - made for the factory and they will have a pricetag with an MSRP but the bag NEVER sold for that amount anywhere. There's lots of outlet shopping info on here - do NOT venture into an outlet without reading it.

I think you can't go wrong with a black or brown bag since you can (IMHO) use them with anything (until you get a collection and want to be matching). However, if you're really a blue jeans kind of gal, a blue bag can also be pretty universal. I love bags that can be worn on the shoulder or carried like a satchel (either because there are long and short straps or if there is one set of straps of a kind of medium length). Go into the outlet and try on bags - walk around with them and see how they look and feel to you. Some people like bags with compartments, and others like them with one BIG compartment. Only YOU know how you like to carry things!! We can give you lots of food for thought though!!

GOOD LUCK and happy shopping.

I would suggest that you go to the full price store and the outlet if you can, so you can try on a wide variety of bags before you commit. I find so many bags lovely to look at but I could never purchase them because they either don't look right on me or I find them uncomfortable. Plus, shopping for your first purse is so much fun!

I would suggest that you go to the full price store and the outlet if you can, so you can try on a wide variety of bags before you commit. I find so many bags lovely to look at but I could never purchase them because they either don't look right on me or I find them uncomfortable. Plus, shopping for your first purse is so much fun!

excellent advice, zj!

I agree with Zoey, I would visit both the outlets and FP boutiques, get a feel for the type of bag you like (satchel, shoulder, etc) and understand/feel the differences of the types of material and bag makeup. Some leather, some prefer the signature materials.

Can't wait to see what you choose!

Charm totes: these didn't get much love on here but I really love mine, I have two. Can be worn as a shoulder tote or crossbody, roomy interior, and have this little chain on the outside that has a little pouch attached to the bag. I like it because the rings on the chain are on a spring closure, so you can spring them open and add fobs and charms to your heart's content!

are these still available? I can't find them on the website... I must be blind!

Thanks everyone - lots of great advice in here! I think I will indeed go to the outlet to check it out, I go to the retail stores all the time to browse but never been to the outlet since it's pretty far away. I'll let you all know how it goes! :smile:

Emily: Very nice bags you've got there! The charm totes are so cute!