Cocktail attire?

babypie

Jun 3, 2007
I did a search but didn't find anything specifically about "cocktail attire". My DH received an invitation for him and I to attend a Xmas function stating cocktail attire. Even a google search has conflicting answers! How would you guys interpret this? The event is in a function room not a home.

I agree that denim is definitely NOT appropriate. He might be able to get away without wearing a tie provided he wears nice dress pants, dress shirt and dressy shoes, although I'd probably make him wear a tie and bring a jacket, just in case. Like I always explain to dh, you can always take off the jacket and put the tie in the jacket pocket, but you cannot run home to get a jacket and tie if everyone else is wearing one. For you, a cocktail dress or LBD would be fine - there is a wider range of appropriate attire for women than for men at cocktail events.

I agree that denim is definitely NOT appropriate. He might be able to get away without wearing a tie provided he wears nice dress pants, dress shirt and dressy shoes, although I'd probably make him wear a tie and bring a jacket, just in case. Like I always explain to dh, you can always take off the jacket and put the tie in the jacket pocket, but you cannot run home to get a jacket and tie if everyone else is wearing one. For you, a cocktail dress or LBD would be fine - there is a wider range of appropriate attire for women than for men at cocktail events.

+1. no denim.

ITA. :tup:

Definitely not denim.

Completely agree. We routinely attend "cocktail attire" events & I've never seen denim on either men or women. I was tempted to wear dark jeans & a heavily beaded blouse with newly acquired beaded heels to an event recently - very glad I didn't as everyone else was definitely dressed more formally.

I have seen denim at "creative cocktail", "holiday attire", "festive attire" & "relaxed formal". I think it's easier (maybe not as much fun) to dress for cocktail events designated as "cocktail attire" as you know what to expect or at least what the traditional parameters are.

I interpret cocktail attire as a dark suit & tie for men. Women generally wear short dresses (just above/at/just below the knee) in "dressy" fabrics - silk, velvet, brocade, lace, metallic, sequined, beaded, etc. I've also seen women in dressy fitted evening suits - Chanel, St. John, etc.

Since it's a work event, it's probably safer for your DH to go with a suit & tie. As others have posted - he can always remove his tie.

No denim!! :Push:

I pretty much love every black, white, and neutral toned dress (I would only pick from these color families) from that link ahertz posted. I would love to go to a party that required cocktail attire....it'll be an opportunity for you to wear something really fabulous, sexy and chic! Like Cinderella :biggrin: And you'd feel like her too. :nuts:

Thanks. I'm having hard time convincing DH of that. He thinks denim is fine. I'm thinking it's not as it's an upscale cocktail party...
Denim with a nice jacket is OK. Some of the coolest guys I know in NY wear jeans and nice jackets. One particular used to wear a black velvet jacket and jeans.
Cocktail for girls is a short but can be dressy "cocktail" dress.

Denim with a nice jacket is OK. Some of the coolest guys I know in NY wear jeans and nice jackets. One particular used to wear a black velvet jacket and jeans.
Cocktail for girls is a short but can be dressy "cocktail" dress.

it would really depends on the guy. some model hot guy (like olivia Palermo's bf) would pull that off but not that many guys can pull that look off...JMO.