asked seller to relist item, did i do the right thing?

nursie

selective hoarder
O.G.
Sep 29, 2010
hi there! i'm fairly new to tpf and usually hang out in the coach forum.

i'm certainly not new to buying on ebay, but 99.9% of the time my transactions have gone remarkably smooth. recently however i had a weird situation come up and i took a look around here reading everyone's posts.

anyway, i just thought i'd ask if there was another way to handle this one or if i did the right thing. i hate being a pita customer online or in store. i'm one of those that hates to return things, etc.

a purse was up for bid or BIN, but at the bottom of her description she had written 'make me an offer, i'll proably take it'. well, i waited for the auction to end because i figured if someone else really wanted it they could have it for the price she had as a starting bid. after there were no bids on the purse, i sent her a message and gave her my offer.

she immediately replied back and said she'd mail the bag out the next day, i just needed to give her my paypal email and she'd send me an invoice.

well ebay has a big message splattered all over her email that if the seller is trying to sell outside of ebay you should report it. i wasn't sure if this is selling outside of ebay or what.....so i messaged her back that i wanted to stick with purchasing through ebay, so if she would relist.

she was great and did just that and i got my bag. but since i've never sold on ebay was there another way to have handled it? i didn't realize you have to pay as a seller each time to relist something.

tia and sorry if my story is a dumb one lol i just really don't know!

You did the right thing, if anything happened in your transaction you would have one less resource in case something was wrong with it. I know places online that let you do transactions, like forums for example, and people do what she did initially with just doing the PayPal invoice. It's just to protect buyers and sellers really... I mean, yeah she got a fee from eBay but that's how it works, at least you get that added bit of protection from the transaction in case someone is trying something funny.

thank you! i've only had once that i didn't receive an item i paid for and paypal took care of it, but i just felt weird since ebay had warnings all over my screen! thank you for replying quickly to my post too, i love tpf!

oh and not to mention i got my ebay bonus bucks from buying through ebay, it's not much but it's mine!

I agree that you did the right thing for your protection. And, more importantly, she agreed to do it, so it sounds like everything worked out just fine. Enjoy your new bag!

It was right for you to do it through ebay - just in case something goes wrong (and you can get paranoid after reading a thread or two on this forum lol) you have that protection. I've really never had issues either but recently I filed my first SNAD and I'm really glad I have ebay on my side!

I've sold before - the fees for listing aren't that crazy (especially not around the holiday season - if i remember correctly). also i think you can be reimbursed if it's a relist? someone who sells often or recently will know for sure. it's usually the final value fee that's actual $$$ - and seller would've been charged that anyway had the first auction worked out. so don't feel too bad!

I have asked sellers to do buy it nows...and they ask me to send payment through paypal without revising the listing.
After being on TPF, I know it is a HUGE no-no to pay outside of ebay, so I always ask the seller if they can revise the listing or make a new one. If they don't, well, it's their loss.
Just like when I am hunting for something, posting a want ad...I always let potential people know it will have to be through bonz or ebay. I want to have a paper trail of sorts for any transaction.
If a seller won't do it, then you don't buy. That is the safest way.

Paypal protects you if you don't receive the item
But if it's a SNAD paypal won't help you
If you are worried I would try to do it on eBay. But the seller if probably trying to avoid fees

You did the right thing, while paypal now offers snad protection for purchases outside of ebay, it is best to keep through ebay I think, so you can leave the seller appropriate feedback.

Paypal protects you if you don't receive the item
But if it's a SNAD paypal won't help you
If you are worried I would try to do it on eBay. But the seller if probably trying to avoid fees
^This. I would hate to work with PP alone on a transaction gone bad, when done through an auction site there's a bit more pressure to ensure it goes well.

You did the right thing, while paypal now offers snad protection for purchases outside of ebay, it is best to keep through ebay I think, so you can leave the seller appropriate feedback.
^Yep, if you had had a bad experience with the seller there would have been no way for you to warn others if you didn't have an auction to leave feedback for.

well ebay has a big message splattered all over her email that if the seller is trying to sell outside of ebay you should report it.

It's one thing if the listing is live and the seller approaches you for an off ebay transaction, but since the listing has ended and you approached the seller, the seller is free to do what they like with the item. If you approached a seller on a listing that was no longer live, you could be seen as the one trying to instigate an off-ebay transaction.

It's one thing if the listing is live and the seller approaches you for an off ebay transaction, but since the listing has ended and you approached the seller, the seller is free to do what they like with the item. If you approached a seller on a listing that was no longer live, you could be seen as the one trying to instigate an off-ebay transaction.

oohh definately, thank you for pointing that out! i like regular smooth transactions, but i guess so does everyone :smile: