Over-obsessive, impatient buyer rant (warning: long!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karman

Crazy Cat Lady
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
I'm just looking for someplace to vent...

I've been kind of having a rough month with shipping...Canada Post is being very stupid and packages seem to be moving slower than ever. I had a package sent via EMS get stuck in Vancouver for almost 10 business days before it moved anywhere!! And they quoted me 6-8 days delivery overseas :rolleyes:

Anyway, I recently sold a bag on Bonanza (on Sunday), and the buyer asked if she could pay the next day (on Monday). I said, no problem, I will hold the bag until after you've paid. Fast forward to the Monday afternoon, she asked for another extension until Tuesday because she needed to transfer money to her CC first. I said, no problem, pay tomorrow. Tuesday came around...no payment, no nothing. No big deal, I understand payments sometimes take time to process, and finally on Wednesday she sent the payment late afternoon. No big deal.

On my booth it clearly says that bag ships within 5 business days...I can only ship during the weekend because of school. The buyer emailed me Thursday morning (less than 24 hours after she paid) to ask whether she will get same day shipping since we are in the same province. She was going out of town on Friday and doesn't want to miss delivery. I politely told her I can only ship during the weekend because of school and that I'll have tracking to her by the end of the week. And the shipping method I use is what she paid for, XpressPost, which still takes 1 business day.

Early Saturday morning comes around. First day of the weekend. She asked if I have tracking for her. Wow. First of all, I already said I'll send her the tracking info once I've sent it, and second of all, it was barely the weekend. I wanted to explicitly tell her to be patient, but instead, I just politely said I'll have it to her by Sunday afternoon. I got so fed up that I ended up just packing up the darn thing, putting an order for the shipping label online, and giving her the tracking.

I dropped off the package first thing Monday morning. Since we are in the same province, the fastest is one business day. This morning (Tuesday), barely 24 hours after I dropped off the package, she messages me once again to ask if I've sent it and whether I requested signature delivery. I said yes, I requested signature option and yes, I dropped it off on Monday, as promised. Literally 2 hours later, after the tracking showed "Attempted delivery: card left to indicate where package can be picked up", she messages me and in her exact words, she wrote:

"i think you sent it to the wrong address, i checked tracking and it said attampted delivery and slip left ti pick up package, i have been home all day and nothing came and nothing is left here.

my address is

______________SW

Di you make sure to put the “SW” on the end because if you didnt it went to the wrong house, i need to find out where the package is "

So I messaged her back, my post lady does this ALL THE TIME. She doesn't bother coming to the door and simply leaves a card later on in the day in my mailbox. I was soooo impatient at this point. First, she was 2 days late on her payment, rushes me to ship less than 24 hours after payment, asks me twice in the time span of 3 days whether something has been shipped, and half freaks out when the item doesn't show up 24 hours after I've shipped it. She even accuses me of being careless and sending to the wrong address without even checking with me her shipping address.

Some buyers are just unbelievable. I'm no professional seller and simply unload some of my unused things to get some extra cash. I'm more of a buyer than a seller and always try to be patient with sellers because I know sometimes life gets in the way. But as a seller, I try to be as quick as possible with my communication and shipping. This buyer was a nightmare in her own way. It's having my mom nag at me to practice piano every hour.

Bonanza is so weird sometimes. I've had so many people send me offers on things at more than 40% off, even though I don't have the OBO option on my items. I just had a buyer remark (to my counter offer price via PM, which is only $25 more than what she offered) "Wow...nvm...not interested.) Her beginning offer? $200 on a $375 item...

Sigh. Anyway, sorry for the long post...and thanks for reading my rant!!

A lot of buyers are really good, but the crazies have gotten crazier and crazier. Unfortunately I feel like this is happening in a lot of other places too - you encounter just outright thoughtless or rude behavior all over the place anymore.

So sorry for your troubles - hopefully you'll be done dealing with this buyer soon!!

Karmen, don't worry about it. I too get buyers like that ALL THE FREAKING TIME! lol! I don't generally let it ruffle me but on those days when I'm having a bad day already, I know it can get quite annoying. It always seems to be those that take the longest to pay that are the most demanding when it comes to the shipping. They are sweet and everything while taking their time paying then turn into this aggressive crazed psycho the minute the payment is sent. It doesn't seem to be confined to Bonanza buyers either. I've had it happen on every venue that I use. It's truly puzzling.

A lot of buyers are really good, but the crazies have gotten crazier and crazier. Unfortunately I feel like this is happening in a lot of other places too - you encounter just outright thoughtless or rude behavior all over the place anymore.

Isn't that the truth!

karman-- I don't sell on ebay/bonanza because I think I would go crazy myself having to deal with the crazies! I would be really frustrated with this buyer too!!

So sorry! I feel your pain...and it always seem to be these kind of buyers who ultimately find some minute flaw to fixate on once they get the item too!

I'm sorry she was such a pain. To be fair to her, if you said you would ship at the weekend, that should have happened Saturday or Sunday, not Monday.

I agree that buyers do not read the fine print in listings these days. I've decided the only strategy is to be super nice but firm, so that they feel like a jerk for being a pain. Works wonders ;)

Thanks for the response ladies...I just checked tracking and she still hasn't picked up the package...not sure what's going on...

To be fair to her, if you said you would ship at the weekend, that should have happened Saturday or Sunday, not Monday.

Technically, I did ship during the weekend. I put in an order during the weekend and passed her the tracking information during the weekend but Canada Post does not operate (pick up, deliver) during the weekend. So unless I get my package to the post office by 4 pm on Friday, the package will not be picked up until Monday at 4 pm. I'd rather have the package in my possession until the actual date of pick up, rather than let it sit in the post office for 2 days. :smile:

I think if she is so impatient she shouldn't buy online. Sounds like she expects it to be instant gratification like shopping at a store.
Good luck!

I think many buyers don't consider themselves a pain or impatient. They just don't recognize the traits I guess. Those folks just keep saying, well, a GOOD seller would have done X, Y and Z. And other buyers will all nod in agreement. But these sites are NOT stores, the sellers are NOT businesses. If they want that kind of service, or speedy shipping or perfect "new" items or liberal return policies, they should shop in a store or at Saks.com. Not buy a second hand item someone is selling on an auction site to clean their closet...

BUT, they don't want to pay Saks prices...When you order from these places, the cost of all the "service" and return policies is built into the markup on the item. Even insurance for fraud, theft and damaged returns is built in. And indeed, most of them charge more than postage for expedited shipping. If you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for it. You don't get something for nothing in this world, and I'm afraid people have come to a place where they expect just that.

Thanks for the response ladies...I just checked tracking and she still hasn't picked up the package...not sure what's going on...

Technically, I did ship during the weekend. I put in an order during the weekend and passed her the tracking information during the weekend but Canada Post does not operate (pick up, deliver) during the weekend. So unless I get my package to the post office by 4 pm on Friday, the package will not be picked up until Monday at 4 pm. I'd rather have the package in my possession until the actual date of pick up, rather than let it sit in the post office for 2 days. :smile:

I see, wasn't aware of that.

I think many buyers don't consider themselves a pain or impatient. They just don't recognize the traits I guess. Those folks just keep saying, well, a GOOD seller would have done X, Y and Z. And other buyers will all nod in agreement. But these sites are NOT stores, the sellers are NOT businesses. If they want that kind of service, or speedy shipping or perfect "new" items or liberal return policies, they should shop in a store or at Saks.com. Not buy a second hand item someone is selling on an auction site to clean their closet...

BUT, they don't want to pay Saks prices...When you order from these places, the cost of all the "service" and return policies is built into the markup on the item. Even insurance for fraud, theft and damaged returns is built in. And indeed, most of them charge more than postage for expedited shipping. If you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for it. You don't get something for nothing in this world, and I'm afraid people have come to a place where they expect just that.

:goodpost:

I totally agree with you. Also, when buyers offer me less more than 40% off the asking price, some of them think I'm nuts for turning them down. But they have to understand we have to pay the listing fee AND Paypal fees. And since most of my buyers are from the US, the fees are huge as I'm in Canada.I recently sold a wallet for $375 including shipping. With the Paypal fees, conversion fees and shipping, I am putting in the bank less than $310 CAD, which is even less in USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.