Pandora..HELP! 9.5 yr old yay or nay??

Glykia

O.G.
Jul 18, 2006
Hi all...I hardly ever post on the forum, and if I do it's in the LV section or the JC charms....but i'm in a predicament....
My daughter's friends have all gotten "Pandora bracelets" from a local department store....my daughter is 9.5 and she has written on her Christmas list the following: iPad (b/c she wants to be like me, but this has been taken care of by something a little more inexpensive), a bell (??? LOL), magic wand (b/c she thinks she can make it clean her room), a REAL Pandora Bracelet.

I have looked into some of the charms on the site and if I just get her the starter bracelet and one charm to start will it look odd?? Do I get her something like that at her age or not?? It is something we could add to all the time....AND some of the charms are comparable to the price of a toy that would go to Goodwill in a couple of months... so what do you all think? I'm Greek so i'm really looking at getting the evil eye charm as her first charm. Also, what online retailers do I trust to buy from??? I have some retailers in my area that have them but I do enjoy shopping online...

Thanks for any input....

i am a pandora fan, when i have been at my local jeweler for pandora, i've seen mums/ grandma's take their little girls to go bead shopping, so it does happen in my area. I do think it is appropriate.
you can get her a starter bracelet with 1 charm, and add to it on special occasions (ie. her birthday?) so she knows how to cherish it, and it will be meaningful too!

If you decide to get it, order from pandora.net, which is their website, so you won't have to worry about authenticity.

I think at 9.5 she'd be old enough to appreciate it for the moment, and even if she were to get bored of it in a matter of months/weeks and stop wearing it, she could put it aside in a jewelry box and later pick it back up to start wearing. However, if all of her friends have imitation ones then it's probable that she'll like it and wear it for as long as it's fashionable. To me, I think it would look weird with just 1 charm, since it would slide all over the place. Would you be able to do 3, so that you can have the two "clips", and then the 1 charm that you really want (the evil eye charm) in the middle, so it's not sliding all over the place? I think that would be good for now, and it would allow for the one main charm to always be in the "front" of the bracelet. If you're worried about her loosing it, I'd recommend getting her the pandora bracelet and charm, and getting two no name clips, to lower the cost.

HTH! :smile:

Thanks for your help!!!
She specifically asked for it and has not really put many other items on her list as of yet... Digby: good idea, I will get two clips and the one charm....at least if she does tire of it, I will not give it away and as you said, she can always get it back out at a later time.

I think its ok for a 9.5 year old to wear a Pandora charm bracelet, my two nieces have them & they are 6 & 9, they absolutely love them, they have nearly filled them up, its taken just over a year but all the family were able to buy them charms for birthdays & christmas & I think its a lovely idea because even when they get older they can buy a bigger bracelet & put the charms on it, so its something that will last them for years & its nice to have something to keep that people have added to over the years.:smile:

My 9 year old daughter has caught the bug from me. None of her friends have them, but she loves looking at the catalog with me. She hasn't asked for one (I don't think she realizes they make them in small sizes) but I am surprising her with a bracelet and the Panda bead. She loves pandas.

My older daughter (12) is sporty and not girly at all, so I got her a black leather bracelet and a soccer ball charm.

your daughter is the same age as mine & although she hasn't asked for a Pandora bracelet (she has requested the iPad), but I will say, unless YOU look after the bracelet, I would recommend holding off on this purchase for a bit. My daughter is wonderful, but being responsible is NOT a priority for her at present ;)

A colleague of mine has the Pandora (filled w/ gorgeous gold & silver beads) & while HER intent was to add a bead here and there on special occasions or treats to herself, she succumbed to her impatience and filled it almost immediately! Big $$$$

So like clothing, while it's great that "all the girls" at school have one or her friends (and this I'd seriously question), it's an expensive trend. My point? Let's hope IF you get her one, you won't be looking or asking where it is in 6 months time!

I purchased Pandora bracelets for my girls at the ages of 7 and 12. We add one charm for special celebrations. It is age appropriate, and a lovely heirloom from their childhood. They are presently 10 and 15. Good luck!

i don't think there's anything wrong with it. how is this different than buying an iPod or a nintendo DS for a 9 year old? it's definitely something she'll treasure for years to come and even if she grows tired of it, she'll eventually go back to it again. and maybe even pass down to her daughter someday.

my daughter is 11 and even though i haven't heard about the pandora craze with kids her age, i wouldn't object to it either.

i would maybe get her the leather bracelet in lieu of the SS one to start. more durable that way anyway. and i just got a pandora bracelet for our anniversary because i wanted something where my daughter can pick out the charms herself so each and every one represents what she chose for me (she wanted a similar concept to my LOVE bangle), and i only have 2 charms right now and it's just fine. i think it would be OTT to start her out with the whole thing filled in the beginning, so make it fun as you shop for charms with her down the road. she'll love it.

My older daughter (12) is sporty and not girly at all, so I got her a black leather bracelet and a soccer ball charm.

this is a wonderful idea. my daughter is a big soccer player as well, and after reading this thread, i'm thinking this would make a wonderful hanukkah/christmas gift for her. she and i can pick out charms together for our bracelets!

we just got her an iPod Touch for her birthday (nov. 20) so this is the perfect price range for the holidays.