Advice needed - first vs. city

beachmouse

Jan 1, 2010
Hi ladies,

I am thinking to get a pop color like red or blue to go with my most outfits in black and gray and white. However i cannot decide which size (first or city) BBag would be a better choice. I am 5'2 and 115 pounds, i think first will look cute on me, however is first practical? especially in winter time...is first will be a better match for a long run?

You ladies have so many bbags in different sizes, could you please give me your opinion...

TIA

Pls do a search, you'll find lots of threads discussing the difference between the first and the city. You are right, the first is very cute but it is a small bag. I guess it depends on how much you carry. The modeling pics thread will also give you a good idea.

My first Bal was a first and I sent it back. I am exactly the same height and weight as you give or take a pound or two.

Now I am kinda wishing I still had it. They are really cute and it is a great size for a pop colour but it is not meant to be an every day bag imo. You'll be flat out fitting any larger sized wallets, sunglasses (especially oversized), keys, lipstick, essentials etc. Maybe if you take out the glasses its not too bad but it can really only carry your bare essentials - fine for dates, movies, short errands.

My first Bal was a first and I sent it back. I am exactly the same height and weight as you give or take a pound or two.

Now I am kinda wishing I still had it. They are really cute and it is a great size for a pop colour but it is not meant to be an every day bag imo. You'll be flat out fitting any larger sized wallets, sunglasses (especially oversized), keys, lipstick, essentials etc. Maybe if you take out the glasses its not too bad but it can really only carry your bare essentials - fine for dates, movies, short errands.

thanks for help me with your kind and true experience. I did a lot of research on the modeling pictures, however still cannot see myself carrying in the First, sadly i've never seen the First in person. Maybe the City is more practical ...

I sent back the first and got a city instead and I felt much better about the city when it arrived. I think the first is lovely but the city will be far more versatile for your. If you have another bag that you would use as an everday bag then the first would be okay, but not as your go to bag (unless you travel very light).

I think city might be more practical for you. I almost bought a Black RGGH first and when I put it on my shoulder I felt it was too small. I am shorter than you at 5 ft tall. I have 2 GH cities and use them during winter time when shopping. I know your not considering these styles but during winter time especially with thick winter coats, I find the city hard to wear especially since the straps easily slips off the shoulder. Maybe a part time or a day would be practical in terms of wearability, but not sure if you would like a bigger bag. Hope this helps.

I think city might be more practical for you. I almost bought a Black RGGH first and when I put it on my shoulder I felt it was too small. I am shorter than you at 5 ft tall. I have 2 GH cities and use them during winter time when shopping. I know your not considering these styles but during winter time especially with thick winter coats, I find the city hard to wear especially since the straps easily slips off the shoulder. Maybe a part time or a day would be practical in terms of wearability, but not sure if you would like a bigger bag. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your opinion. actually i only have one Anthra in part time and one White in work, so i am thinking i need a pop color in a snaller size and in classic style. i almost ordered a blue roi in First... guess you girls are right...I myself is hesitated, too...

Thanks again, you girls are really helpful!

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. actually i only have one Anthra in part time and one White in work, so i am thinking i need a pop color in a snaller size and in classic style. i almost ordered a blue roi in First... guess you girls are right...I myself is hesitated, too...

Thanks again, you girls are really helpful!

If you already have a part time and work, why not go for a colourful first? I usually carry larger bags but have one flat brass first that I adore for evenings and when I don't need to carry much. Truly, the first is the most classic shape, if you need a smaller bag, go for it. The city is similar to the part time while the first offers you some real variety.

Thanks Drati, i personally love the pop colors in smaller size, at same time, i need a bag wearable in many occasions. Now do you know why i need you girls advice?
Comparing to chanels, i found bbag truly a everyday bag, all my chanels are in closet most of the time and i wear my anthra part time almost everyday.
At this moment, i probably will go for the City for the sake of some real variety as you said.

Thanks ur girls help...

we are about the same size and the first is really cute! however it is really small lol...i can barely fit anything in it and i do not carry a whole lot of stuff with me...i should be getting a canard town tomorrow from a lovely tpfer and i am looking forward to how much more that holds ;)

i do not have a city but i have a few other styles and i think the box (and probably twiggy although i do not have one yet) are my favorite styles on me...not to make your decision any harder ;)

we are about the same size and the first is really cute! however it is really small lol...i can barely fit anything in it and i do not carry a whole lot of stuff with me...i should be getting a canard town tomorrow from a lovely tpfer and i am looking forward to how much more that holds ;)

i do not have a city but i have a few other styles and i think the box (and probably twiggy although i do not have one yet) are my favorite styles on me...not to make your decision any harder ;)

Looking fordward to seeing your modeling pic in town. PM me once avaliable. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi ladies,

I am thinking to get a pop color like red or blue to go with my most outfits in black and gray and white. However i cannot decide which size (first or city) BBag would be a better choice. I am 5'2 and 115 pounds, i think first will look cute on me, however is first practical? especially in winter time...is first will be a better match for a long run?

You ladies have so many bbags in different sizes, could you please give me your opinion...

TIA

i love big purses, so i'm a city lover!