Getting a refund - please help!

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
I bought 2 jackets off ebay which cost alot of money. At first they were slow to arrive so I logged a paypal case. The jackets then arrived and I closed the paypal case.

One of the jackets then didnt fit so I asked the seller if she would refund me and she wouldnt.

I then went to re-sell it on ebay only to find it had ripped stitching and a hole in it.

I emailed the seller telling her and asking for a refund and she thinks im lying saying Ive made it up because she wouldnt refund me when I told her it didnt fit.

Paypal wont let me raise a dispute because I have already opened and closed one.

Can anyone help me?? :sad:

The only thing you can do is take it up w/your credit card company (if you paid via your credit card). In this case, the seller does have a valid point. If you were to request a return for the item based off the stitching and hole issues, then the seller would've likely voluntarily taken the return (and if not, the paypal case would've decided in your favor for SNAD). It is the buyer's responsibility once the merchandise is in his/her hands, to inspect the item...whether it meets the auction's description for disclosed flaws (if any).

If you didn't pay via your credit card, then you'll have to list the item on ebay, and you'll have to disclose the flaws to any potential buyers.

The only thing you can do is take it up w/your credit card company (if you paid via your credit card). In this case, the seller does have a valid point. If you were to request a return for the item based off the stitching and hole issues, then the seller would've likely voluntarily taken the return (and if not, the paypal case would've decided in your favor for SNAD). It is the buyer's responsibility once the merchandise is in his/her hands, to inspect the item...whether it meets the auction's description for disclosed flaws (if any).

If you didn't pay via your credit card, then you'll have to list the item on ebay, and you'll have to disclose the flaws to any potential buyers.

Ok interesting. Thanks for this. I paid via paypal with my registered debit card. How do I go about contacting them/what do I say etc?

How were the jackets described in the listing? As NWT, Like New, or some other way? Are you sure the stitching was ripped when you got it, or did it stretch from the poor fit?

Ok interesting. Thanks for this. I paid via paypal with my registered debit card. How do I go about contacting them/what do I say etc?
You're welcome for the information. :biggrin: I have heard different opinions re: what debit card transactions will/will not cover. Does your debit card have the VISA/Mastercard logo on it, or is it logo-free and is a standard bank-issued debit card? If it is the former, then contact VISA or Mastercard. If it is the latter, then you will need to contact your bank. If the bank representative doesn't give you the answer you want ("there's nothing we can do for you"), then ask to speak to the supervisor or bank manager. That bank representative may not fully know what guarantees/services your debit card provides you in terms of purchase protection. I think you should be prepared, however, that your bank debit card may not offer any purchase protection rights. It will depend on your institution, but anyway, there is no harm in trying. Good luck. :smile:

As far as I know, banks don't usually reverse debit transactions. Sometimes they investigate claims of fraud.

Without looking at the listings, we can't tell whether or not the seller misrepresented the items. Did she list them as new when they were used? Did she fail to accurately describe their condition, disclose any flaws, show these in the photos she posted? She should have, but if the description was vague and/or there weren't enough photos to see the jackets in detail and/or the photos were of poor quality, you, as the buyer, should have asked questions about the items' condition and request more photos if necessary. It sucks but that's eBay--there's a lot of deception and fraud there, so we have to be smart buyers and sellers and not take unnecessary risks.

Buyers, too, have responsibilities. It's not all about the seller. This may just be an expensive lesson in eBay buying and selling.

Consider the following: (a) unless the seller has a return-refund policy, you shouldn't buy anything on eBay that needs to fit you (clothes, shoes), (b) you should have tried on the jackets when you received them to see if they fit, (c) you should have inspected the jackets to see if they fit the seller's description, to make sure they were in the condition listed, (d) you should always pay with a credit card in case you run into a dishonest seller, (e) you shouldn't have closed the PP claim before trying on and inspecting the jackets. If they were not as described--wrong size, undisclosed signs of wear, damage, etc.--you could have changed the INR claim to a SNAD. If you didn't know this, then (f) you should have known this kuz you should read all eBay and PP rules, terms & conditions before using eBay and PP.

:smile:

Can you open a SNAD through eBay?
If it won't let you open it I would call eBay and see if they can help you open a snad
This sounds like a bad seller if you have to open a INR and SNAD against them

Can you open a SNAD through eBay?
If it won't let you open it I would call eBay and see if they can help you open a snad
This sounds like a bad seller if you have to open a INR and SNAD against them

She can't open another case.

I bought 2 jackets off ebay which cost alot of money. At first they were slow to arrive so I logged a paypal case. The jackets then arrived and I closed the paypal case.

One of the jackets then didnt fit so I asked the seller if she would refund me and she wouldnt.

I then went to re-sell it on ebay only to find it had ripped stitching and a hole in it.

I emailed the seller telling her and asking for a refund and she thinks im lying saying Ive made it up because she wouldnt refund me when I told her it didnt fit.

Paypal wont let me raise a dispute because I have already opened and closed one.

Can anyone help me?? :sad: