Food *~*Appetizers!*~*

klj

O.G.
Jul 27, 2009
I'm a huge fan of great appetizers(small or large finger foods, dips,etc) to use at get~ togethers..ball game parties, or holidays. I like to try new ones too. I didn't see another thread(hopefully there isn't one that I missed) for this so I thought I'd start one. I think it would be good to list what you have tried/what people have loved...recipes too please:smile:

Bacon wrapped dates..these go so fast!
I pre cook the bacon until translucent not crispy(helps with the cooking time of the bacon)
18 (1- by 1/4-inch) sticks Parmigiano-Reggiano (from a 1/2-lb piece)People also stuff with almonds, other kinds of cheeses..chorizo. I either use parm or nothing
18 pitted dates (preferably Medjool) I use the smaller one's too.
6 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thirds

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to ( I use 400) 450°F.
Stuff 1 piece of cheese into each date, then wrap 1 piece of bacon around each date, securing it with a pick. Arrange dates 1 inch apart in a shallow baking pan. (others have drizzled honey)
Bake 5 minutes, then turn dates over with tongs and bake until bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes more. Drain on a paper bag or parchment. Serve immediately.

Crostini with goat cheese and fig spread(I like the one at Whole foods)
Can top with a bit of prosciutto if desired.
I just make my own crostini ahead of time and then top.

Fig spread with Brie..I don't like the rind on top so I remove and then top with the fig jam onto room temp brie.

I have a bunch more but not handy and will try to post later.

Please post any that you might have and love!

Chicken Puffs(I've made these for years at gatherings)..you can use another kind of salad like crab or ham to fill. The puffs are very versatile.
This recipe is one small batch..I quad the recipe when I'm taking them to a bigger party.
The chicken salad portion of the recipe is approx. measurements.

2T.butter
1/4c. flour
1 egg
1/4 C shredded swiss

2c. chopped chicken
1/4c. chopped celery
2T. pimento
2T. white wine
1/4c. mayo
salt/pepper

~Melt butter in 1/4 c boiling water. Add flour and dash of salt. Stir well, cook and stir until mixture starts to for a ball in the pan. Remove and cool slightly..add egg and beat until smooth. Stir in cheese. Drop on lightly greased cookie sheet or use parchment. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes Cool and then split/fill. I watch them so they don't get too dark on top..def. a golden color and 20 minutes is just about right.

^^Great minds think alike, I was totally thinking about posting an appetizer's thread just last night!

I like to make this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Cheese-Garlic-Appetizer/Detail.aspx but put it in mini muffin tins almost like mini-quiches.

I also love these: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Cheese-Garlic-Appetizer/Detail.aspx

These:
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/savory-parmesan-bites-50145.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/warm-spinach-artichoke-cups-120714.aspx
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/make-ahead-spinach-phyllo-roll-ups-62581.aspx

For Christmas, I make a Christmas tree veggie pizza. You need:
2 cans (8 oz. each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
Dried Ranch Dressing Mix
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup chopped green pepper (or red or yellow...I usually use at least 2 different colors)
1 cup chopped seeded tomato
1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives (optional)
1/4 cup chopped red onion

I leave the crescent rolls rolled up and slice them into spirals, which I arrange into the shape of a Christmas tree. Bake at 375 degrees for 11-13 mins or until browned on top. Spread cream cheese all over the crescent rolls, and sprinkle with the dried ranch dressing. I use the peppers as "garland", and the rest as the "ornaments".

I always get rave reviews when I make tortellini. I use the store bought 3 cheese one. Boil it until it's almost done, then drain it and drizzle with truffle oil and top with shredded parmesan cheese.

Pimento cheese is always a hit too, because you can use it as a dip, or put it on croissant rolls, or make mini-sammies out of it.

My recipe is:
1 brick of cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. mayo
1 jar pimentos, drained (small or medium, depending on what you like. I like more pimentos in mine)
Shredded cheddar cheese (I use about 1 cup, but you can use more less. I like mine cheesy!)
Garlic salt to taste

Put your cream cheese and mayo into a food processor, and blend it together. Once that is blended, add your cheddar cheese (and garlic salt, if you want) and blend again. Scoop that into a bowl, and mix in the pimentos. If you didn't add the garlic salt in the food processor, you can mix it in now.
I use fat free cream cheese and mayo, because the recipe really gets its flavor from the garlic salt, pimentos, and cheddar cheese (I use full fat shredded cheddar).

Black Bean and Corn Salsa:

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 teaspoons of minced canned chipoltle chilies
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of cumin

Whisk that all together in a bowl, then mix in:
1 1/2 cups of chopped tomatos
1 cup of chopped yellow pepper (or red, or green)
1 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
2 cans of drained black beans
1 and 1/2 cup of thawed and drained corn (Or just 1 can of drained corn)

Toss it all together to coat. But beware, the recipe as-is makes a TON. I usually half it and it's more than enough.

^^Great minds think alike, I was totally thinking about posting an appetizer's thread just last night!

Yay..good!;) Glad we're thinking the same.. I'd love to fill this thread up and then use it to go back to for appetizers.
Everyone's recipes look yummy!! Keep them coming!
Here is my version of pimento cheese..I can eat this stuff until I'm ill...easily.

Pimento cheese
adapted from Frank Stitt's Southern Table
3/4 to 1 lb sharp yellow cheddar grated
1/4 lb cream cheese, softened
1 t freshly ground white pepper*
You can roast your own peppers..I buy a small jar of chopped pimento and drain, or use the TJ's roasted red peppers probably a good size one out of the jar.
1/2 cup mayo...I have made it wth 1/3 cup and it turns out just fine.
1 t sugar
splash of hot sauce, such as tabasco
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Food process/pulse all~

Taco Dip:
equal amount of cream cheese and sour cream (or maybe a little bit more sour cream)
taco seasoning to taste (i usually use 1-2 packets)

mix together and spread out on dish/platter

top with shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives
serve with tortilla chips

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts:
soak water chestnuts in soy sauce over night (or for a couple hours)
cut a strip of bacon in 3rds

roll water chestnut in brown sugar, wrap in section of bacon and pin together with tooth pick

when finished - bake in oven at 375 or 350 until bacon is cooked.

I LOVE spinach and artichoke dip, and this recipe is the best one I've had (even including out to eat), it's Alton Brown. I served it at dinner recently as an app and everyone (including my picky brother) loved it. Will be making it again for thanksgiving (we are going non-traditional this year!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hot-spinach-and-artichoke-dip-recipe/index.html

kraft as a spinach type dip that is AMAZING as well. i think it's technically called triple veggie dip. it has spinach, asperagus and artichokes in it.
always a hit when i make it except for the ONE time when the majority of people were scared of it because of the asperagus.

^They are meat candy..no lie! My daughter started making them too this year and bringing them to all her Christmas parties.:smile:

I made them recently and changed up the recipe(cooking times,etc)..I think it worked out better. I also changed the amounts to reflect when making a batch of them not just a few.

Bacon wrapped dates..these go so fast!
I pre cook the bacon until translucent not crispy(helps with the cooking time of the bacon) this step is very helpful.
Thin sticks Parmigiano-Reggiano
People also stuff with almonds, other kinds of cheeses,manchego,etc. I either use parm or nothing
A pkg or container of pitted dates(some like Medjool) I use the smaller one's.
1 pkg bacon
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375-400
Stuff 1 piece of cheese into each date, then wrap 1 piece of bacon around each date, securing it with a pick. Arrange dates 1 inch apart in a shallow baking pan. I use parchment for easy clean up and I have also drizzled a bit of honey on them.
Bake 20-30 minutes, turn dates over with tongs half way through and bake until bacon is crisp and color is good. Drain on a paper bag or parchment.

I'm going to bump this again - any new ideas? My girl friends and I are having an old-school "grown up" slumber party and we are bringing apps, so it needs to travel well/easily. Most of the dips and sweets have already been covered by the other ladies, unfortunately. I was thinking of the dates, but I have a few picky eaters on my hands, so I wanted to have a second thing to bring that would satisfy the pickier ladies.

This is an excellent appetizer and quite addictive. I buy the Raspberry Chipolte sauce at World Market.

Cheddar Raspberry Appetizer

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup mayonnaise
1 jar raspberry preserves or raspberry chipolte sauce (I use the sauce)

Mix together the cheese, pecans, onion and mayonnaise. Transfer to 9" pie plate and spread evenly. Top with raspberry chipolte sauce and serve with your favorite snack cracker.