i sold an auth bag - now buyer claims its fake - help!

i sold a LV bag a about 7 months ago on ebay . the bag was purchased by me personally at my local Lv boutique and in the auction listing and with the bag i included the original store receipt as proof. I have been a customer at the store since it opened. I heard nothing from the buyer until she emails me today to say she has tried to sell the bag on to a friend, and the friend (she says) took the bag into her LV store and they said the bag is a super fake, and the receipt is fake too.

she wanted me to jump through hoops, contact my store to say it was bought there etc etc. Ive never sold a fake on ebay. The whole thing is just ridiculous but its causing me stress. Id be too embarassed to go to my LV store with this whole ridiculous story and insinuate that a bag they sold me is fake!
im really insulted by the suggestion.
my question is,
- i dont think im liable or have to run through hoops for this. i think if the buyer did take the bag to LV at all, how can the bag be bought in one LV store and another SA in a diff store say my bag is fake??
i have suggested if she is really concerned she get it authenticated thru Carol Diva, but thats it.
has anyone else had a similar problem?? can you PM me please if you have any suggestions.

The buyer is contacting you after SEVEN MONTHS?!!? Ignore all her emails from here on out! I wouldn't have even bothered communicating with her.

However if she does continue to be a nuisance, direct her to Carol Diva and do not offer to pay for the service, that buyer's responsibility. I am still in shock she is contacting you after half a year!!

My
The buyer is contacting you after SEVEN MONTHS?!!? Ignore all her emails from here on out! I wouldn't have even bothered communicating with her.

However if she does continue to be a nuisance, direct her to Carol Diva and do not offer to pay for the service, that buyer's responsibility. I am still in shock she is contacting you after half a year!!

My thoughts exaclty.
I would kindly let her that after 7 moths there is nothing you
can do for her, and authenticating is her problem now if she is having
doubts and just direct her to carol diva.

Last edited:
She could have changed the bag for a fake! And is now contacting you to get some money out of it...
You don't have any proof. I also suggest to ignore her.
After all, it's after 7 months.

Even LV wouldn't take the bag back after this long time!

yes i know, thats what my DH said! thanks for re-inforcing my beliefs....
it just p'd me off - a lovely day shopping in London yesterday, looking up some H scarves, taking my kids to museum etc...
then you open your email and get a ton of rubbish!!!!

thanks, i have already suggested CarolDiva. i have no doubts myself the bag is authentic, (particularyly as i originally bought the Pm size in this style, then regretted it and went back to LV the next day to exchange for the MM, and got a swap receipt). but then again i have no proof she still has the same bag, or anything...
all im posting this for is that i wanted to let other sellers know that even if you think you have sold sthg fine, you may still get a tonne of unwanted grief months down the line! xxx

^ ugh way to ruin your day huh?! Don't fret about this buyer, I am not sure what the consumer protection laws are in UK but in the US, a buyer is OOL (out of luck) after seven months (for purchases made on ebay/bonanza). They can't file a CC dispute and can't file a paypal dispute so I dont think there is anything they can do to scam you.

Keep us updated on whether she sends you anymore messages! Hopefully your days aren't bothered anymore :smile:

^^I agree! Seriously, after 7 months?! Did she expect you to just refund you or something?! Some buyers...
But let us know when she sends another message!

Henceforth one of the many reasons why i've finally decided to stop selling on the bay. There are many great buyers out there, but it's these bad ones that ruin it. People will try just about anything to get money. This happened to me about 2 years ago. A buyer I sold a bag to a YEAR prior said she went to sell it and HER buyer said it was fake. She politely contacted me and said she suspected that HER buyer was trying to scam her, which through investigating (talking to ebay, paypal) turned out to be the case.

yes thanks for all your support. she emailed me again to say that the buyer was unhappy at the attitude of the SA at LV who told her it is fake and she is complaining to LV.... my thought process : "the bag is authentic. i don't care if now you are having a dispute with LV over the competence of their staff...." to be fair she hasn't asked for money and even if she does id just ignore...
but its a saga i dont need!and anyway if shew as seling it w original receipt (which i provided for her), why did so-called friend insist going to Lv and get it authenticated anyway. that is just fishy.

So, she (or her friend/buyer) just wants you to contact your LV store, to confirm that you bought the bag there, on the date stated on the receipt?

Is that really asking you to jump through hoops?

I know your bag is auth but, as the LV store suggested, they do fake receipts, as well, you know.

So, I don't think it's necessarily fishy that someone's friend might want some sort of confirmation that a bag, bought from a stranger over the internet, isn't definitely fake, before handing over their cash; receipt, or not.

I also don't really see why it would be embarrassing to just get the LV store you bought the bag at to confirm that you did buy a bag of that type, on that date?

A bit of a hassle, yes, but why an embarrassment? It's not illegal to sell a bag on eBay, after all.

You're not insinuating that the bag you bought from them is a fake and neither is your buyer - one of the other LV stores is!

If anything, the store which said it was fake (when it wasn't, assuming it was the same bag?) should be embarrassed, if it's actually auth!

Not that it would prove that the bag you then sold-on to your buyer was the same bag as the one you bought; but still, if it makes her friend feel more secure..?

Of course, the other possibility is that she's trying to scam her 'friend'?

Maybe she switched the bag for a superfake and is just trying to get you to reassure her friend that the bag you sold her is real, so she can pass-on the fake more easily?

However, that is probably less likely than it simply being a mistake made by the LV SA, as most SAs are not experienced, or knowledgeable enough to tell superfakes from auths and after all, they have a vested interest (or may think they do, anyway?) in putting people off buying secondhand from eBay (or even from a friend), rather than new from them.

Actually, the truth may be slightly different, as if people don't feel they can ever sell-on their mistakes/bags they tire of, they may be far less likely to buy new ones, too, but still.

Last edited:
Since she hasn't asked for any money yet I wouldn't be too upset. Perhaps her friend is the one scamming or perhaps no one is scamming and they just ran into a crappy SA. I would be nice and just let her know that the bag is 100% authentic. Explain that if she doubts it she can get it authenticated on here with pictures for free, or with carol diva for $6. Lastly you could mention that things are very hectic right now so you don't have the time to deal with a transaction that is 7 months old, but you do guarantee it's authentic and you wish her and her friend the best.