Custom Linings Swatches

nunnla

Bonafide Bag Hag
Jun 20, 2007
I'm creating this new thread so we can discuss custom linings. Post pix of swatches and ask people what they think about certain swatches with certain leathers, hardware colors. More and more of us are starting to use the customs lining feature for BECs. Keep in mind that it needs to be a medium weight fabric - otherwise any type will do. I've found that flannel works really well. Marco needs about 1-1/2 yards if the bag has exterior pockets. Of course, it depends on the bag style and bolt width (36 - 60 inches). Obviously a 60 inch bolt will go farther than one that is 36 inches. Also, you'll want to keep in mind that if it's a print, how large is the print? Marco really had to line my cardinals up since they were so big. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to see them inside the bag. He's going to have a time with those pandas too (for the black shimmer charm me). Flannel, ultrasuede, fleece, satin, brocade, linen, canvas duck, heavy broadcloth all work well, as does grosgrain and voile. If I pick a print, I try to pick one that has the leather color worked in - so it all ties in together. I also choose something that matches the "flavor" of the bag. Is it going to be for casual use versus formal? I tend to like whimsical things - I can look inside my bag and get an instant "pick me up" if I'm having an usually stressful day at work. Whatever fabric place you're perusing, you can do a search like "green print", "flannel". I want to do a green bag with a green/red plaid interior - maybe a leaf one this summer.

Anyway, to Teena, here are a couple of green print swatches for you. Sorry I didn't save the links. I will also provide the address for the atelier, and phone number to put on the label. Italian customs is pretty awful but if you use the address and phone number I have, it will get there with no customs hold up. It took several times, but I've got it down pat now.

Attachments

• List_CL-376.jpg
    List_CL-376.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Medium_BJ-672.jpg
    Medium_BJ-672.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 68
  • Medium_DC-324.jpg
    Medium_DC-324.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Medium_DI-618.jpg
    Medium_DI-618.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Medium_DK-783.jpg
    Medium_DK-783.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 56
Here's the custom lining in the pumpkin matte Hug Me and the swatch so you can see how that one turned out.

Attachments

• TPF Exterior Pocket.jpg
    TPF Exterior Pocket.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 59
  • TPF Front.jpg
    TPF Front.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 65
  • TPF INterior.jpg
    TPF INterior.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 66
  • Flamingo Tres Chic.jpg
    Flamingo Tres Chic.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 65
Here's the ones I ordered swatches of. I like black and white linings in bags. (I've always liked Rebecca Minkoff's old school bags with the black and white linings!) So, I picked 2 that I liked that I thought might make an interesting contrast to the Leaf pebbled leather. I also picked a couple of prints that I liked that I thought might work with leaf. I think I'm more traditional and subtle than Nunnla! LOL! ;) But I'm not as experienced at selecting material so I'm sure Nunnla can see the big picture better than I can! I have Leaf and Coffee Velvet Matte Charm Me Midis in BEC. So, if these work out I might give this a shot. Otherwise it's purple for the Leaf and fuchsia for Cofee! :P

The 2 black and white's I was thinking of for Leaf. The next two patterns (the red and the bird one) I thought might work with Leaf or Coffee. The last one I ordered is lightweight (the green one) so won't work. I ordered it by accident!

Attachments

• Large_UH-398.jpg
    Large_UH-398.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Large_UF-762.jpg
    Large_UF-762.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Large_UF-755.jpg
    Large_UF-755.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Large_UG-869.jpg
    Large_UG-869.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Large_UR-928.jpg
    Large_UR-928.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 62
I like these two for Coffee but I also was interested in ordering silver hw with coffee so not sure if these linings will work with that combination. I may need to consider a different lining or change hardware. Depends on how much I like the fabric!

I like animal prints as linings a lot but I absolutely LOVE acorns and oak leaves! That's why I just adore that print! I have a thing for them! Maybe this would work in Leaf as well? (I don't want one fabric for both bags though! They both have to be unique!)

Thank you, Nunnla, for your help and advice! I'm not 100% committed yet but I'm definitely more interested in doing this! :graucho:

Attachments

• Large_UH-405.jpg
    Large_UH-405.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Large_UR-975.jpg
    Large_UR-975.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 65
Oh my goodness, Teena, I just LOVE that one with the peacocks! They are peacocks, aren't they? Well, the one with long tail feathered birds. What gorgeous colors! And in your next post, I love the spotted leopard one! This is so fun looking at all these swatches and imagining them in bags!

Here's the ones I ordered swatches of. I like black and white linings in bags. (I've always liked Rebecca Minkoff's old school bags with the black and white linings!) So, I picked 2 that I liked that I thought might make an interesting contrast to the Leaf pebbled leather. I also picked a couple of prints that I liked that I thought might work with leaf. I think I'm more traditional and subtle than Nunnla! LOL! ;) But I'm not as experienced at selecting material so I'm sure Nunnla can see the big picture better than I can! I have Leaf and Coffee Velvet Matte Charm Me Midis in BEC. So, if these work out I might give this a shot. Otherwise it's purple for the Leaf and fuchsia for Cofee! :P

The 2 black and white's I was thinking of for Leaf. The next two patterns (the red and the bird one) I thought might work with Leaf or Coffee. The last one I ordered is lightweight (the green one) so won't work. I ordered it by accident!

I LOVE the peacocks ... that would look fab with your leaf bag. They would all look good.

Love this thread!!

here are a few I found and like:

For a lighter color bag:
List_CS-800.jpg
List_CF-077.jpg
List_DJ-274.jpg
List_UE-669.jpg

for a darker color bag:
List_CV-474.jpg
List_CS-900.jpg
List_CT-095.jpg
List_UE-705.jpg

I found all the swatches on fabric.com

Last edited:
You need a earl gray Tote Me Midi with the one with the parrots, silver hardware, with the BE hole motif centered on the pockets instead of the stamp. That would be a killer bag, Katie.

Love this thread!!

here are a few I found and like:

For a lighter color bag:
fabric.com/Webdata/Product/d2004603-d214-4d93-80be-212e60986966/Images/List_CS-800.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/a7f026d8-b7e6-4b7d-9f99-6b4bf290dcc4/Images/List_CF-077.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/fe3b98ba-1c18-4dd7-97f1-c8bb1b714deb/Images/List_DJ-274.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/948fb3a3-e902-4aa4-b3b7-db35f704d06b/Images/List_UE-669.jpg

for a darker color bag:
fabric.com/Webdata/Product/f89a45f2-2317-4032-94ae-956943e7bb5f/Images/List_CV-474.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/03cd32c2-b7c5-4758-aaf2-f2eef5a540d8/Images/List_CS-900.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/3c703659-32b0-4dfe-92bc-a2ee4f995a3c/Images/List_CT-095.jpgfabric.com/Webdata/Product/1923b31d-5da4-4515-9b47-22cfda3f1105/Images/List_UE-705.jpg

I found all the swatches on fabric.com