Buyer messages me... 30 days later... that I overcharged for shipping.

Jun 24, 2006
I sold a Coach purse to this buyer approximately 30 days ago. She was the buyer who I had to file a NPB before she'd finally pay me. And, she was VERY rude to me after this. She left me no feedback. And, no message from her that she ever received the bag (although, I saw from the DC that she did indeed receive it.)

Surprise, Surprise... I get a message from her this morning (30 Days LATER) saying "You charged me 16.00 for shipping... and the box only said 8.95!" I explained to her that I included the price of packing supplies (which can add up quite quickly) in the price of my shipping. And, actually... if you add all those prices up, I paid out of my own pocket. No answer yet.

Why the long wait to complain about this? :rolleyes:

And, this buyer was the type that asks 20,000 questions about the item. I took MANY additional pictures for her, additional measurements, etc, etc. And, even told her if I found the dustbag while I was in the process of moving... I would send it to her free of charge. :nuts:

SOME BUYERS! :tdown:

Some people are like that. Put her on your blocked bidder list, print your labels through PP and hide the shipping price, but really......charging $16 for $9? Add your packaging expenses into your starting price.

I refund any excess over $1 even though, yes packaging is expensive.

Some people are like that. Put her on your blocked bidder list, print your labels through PP and hide the shipping price, but really......charging $16 for $9? Add your packaging expenses into your starting price.

I refund any excess over $1 even though, yes packaging is expensive.
^Agree with the red portion for sure!

That does sound like you overcharged on shipping, but I don't why the buyer would wait 30 days to complain. She should have immediatley contacted you. If I overcharge by a dollar or more I refund my buyers. I also use the free boxes at USPS and recycle a lot of packaging materials.
Even if you 'hide' the shipping price when printing your own labels buyers can still see what you paid by looking it up themselves. As a buyer I do this a lot.

Thanks for the tips. I always thought that shipping was to cover any handling fees + the price for shipping? I buy products to ship with after each transaction. I guess from now on, I'll include it in my starting price.

And, I don't generally use the free shipping items. This particular item was too large to fit into one of the available free boxes at the post office , so I had to purchase a very large box, plus 2 rolls of bubble wrap, etc. For this particular transaction, even INCLUDING the 16.00 I charged for shipping... I STILL paid $3.00 out of my pocket for all the supplies.

From now on, I will definitely just include all of that in the starting price. I was just under the assumption that shipping was to include all of these fees as well.

^ I agree, it's shipping & handling and people need to get over this.. don't bid if you don't like the price.. simple as that!

BUT, because people are so crazy when it comes to this stuff I just add all my shipping fees into the cost of the item and then do free shipping. I'm so tired of dealing with people neurosis.

Well I wouldn't be happy about paying nearly double the shipping costs, a few dollars extra for materials is one thing (especially if the packaging is brand new) but $8? She shouldn't waited so long to complain though, not sure what the point is in that.

Linda

Well, the shipping charge was clearly listed, right? As long as you used the method you listed, I don't see why buyers should complain about it. I mean if they don't like the shipping charge, they shouldn't buy... I see some sellers overcharge for shipping, but I don't complain about it when I agreed to pay for it.

Well, the shipping charge was clearly listed, right? As long as you used the method you listed, I don't see why buyers should complain about it. I mean if they don't like the shipping charge, they shouldn't buy... I see some sellers overcharge for shipping, but I don't complain about it when I agreed to pay for it.

Some buyers don't realize they were overcharged for shipping until they get the box and the actual shipping cost is listed on there.

Personally, I don't mind paying actual shipping charges and if it comes to a few bucks extra that's ok. But I wouldn't want to pay nearly double what it cost to ship.

Linda

^^Yep, I always ship USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation or Signature Confirmation if the item is over 100.00. I also use insurance as well [which adds to the price of the shipping.] I clearly state in my auction the shipping price and what it is used for.

Some buyers don't realize they were overcharged for shipping until they get the box and the actual shipping cost is listed on there.

Personally, I don't mind paying actual shipping charges and if it comes to a few bucks extra that's ok. But I wouldn't want to pay nearly double what it cost to ship.

Linda

I understand-- but it is what it is, you agreed to pay for it- people buy stuff when they're listed free shipping, but do buyers actually believe it's free? Obviously the cost is factored into the price. Would a buyer do the same if a retailer overcharges for shipping? (e.g. bloommingdales). Buyers have many resources to check on what the actual shipping charge will be, they should utilize them.

BTW, I don't like it when the seller overcharges for shipping either- if so I just don't buy from that seller.

Whenever I buy an item and look at the shipping charges, I always try to calculate in supplies, etc... I too thought that the basics were supposed to be covered in the shipping fees (unless the seller has bought supplies in bulk)...

That being said, I would never wait 30 days if I felt I was over-charged. I've only been horribly over-charged once and contacted the seller that day and she refunded the difference (minus charges for supplies, which is ok with me)... In this case it's been 30 days.. it should be all said and done with at this point.

Personally I think she missed the boat... but with these times, some people will just try to get an extra dollar however they can :hrmm:

I agree... 30 days is a bit much.

PLUS, I was VERY gracious with this buyer. I waited 5 days OVER my listed wait time for payment (I say 7 days in my auction and I will file NPB, I waited 11!) because she claimed she was having fraud issues with her paypal. Fraud issues do not take 11 days to take care of! After filing the NPB, she sent me a very rude email. I was polite and thanked her for the payment and shipped her bag out that very day. I also messaged her letting her know that I was in the process of moving and I believed I might have the dustbag. I told her I'd let her know either way, and if I found it, I would mail it to her at no cost.

I understand-- but it is what it is, you agreed to pay for it- people buy stuff when they're listed free shipping, but do buyers actually believe it's free? Obviously the cost is factored into the price. Would a buyer do the same if a retailer overcharges for shipping? (e.g. bloommingdales). Buyers have many resources to check on what the actual shipping charge will be, they should utilize them.

BTW, I don't like it when the seller overcharges for shipping either- if so I just don't buy from that seller.

Right, but buyer's 'agree to pay for it' trusting the seller that it's actual or close to shipping costs, because often they don't know. If the buyer doesn't know the size of the box the seller is using or the total weight of the item, they can't check on actual shipping costs.

Yes, I complain about stores shipping costs, I love to shop from Eddie Bauer but only when they have free shipping offers which they have quite often. I never order from Amazon unless I have $25 in my cart so I know I wont get charged shipping. I love shopping at Overstock because they have just the one low flat rate, I ordered a huge carpet from them and it only cost $5! lol

I don't expect seller's to eat the shipping costs but I don't want to be paying much over either. That's just me. I'm not going to start a riot over it but I'm probably not going to give a 5 star rating on shipping charges either.

Linda

I agree... 30 days is a bit much.

PLUS, I was VERY gracious with this buyer. I waited 5 days OVER my listed wait time for payment (I say 7 days in my auction and I will file NPB, I waited 11!) because she claimed she was having fraud issues with her paypal. Fraud issues do not take 11 days to take care of! After filing the NPB, she sent me a very rude email. I was polite and thanked her for the payment and shipped her bag out that very day. I also messaged her letting her know that I was in the process of moving and I believed I might have the dustbag. I told her I'd let her know either way, and if I found it, I would mail it to her at no cost.

She does sound like one of those buyer's that is a challenge, are you going to respond?

Linda