Books & Music The book vs The movie

I liked the Notebook better in the movie than the book. I also liked A Walk to Remember better than the book!

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was also pretty enjoyable, although I still think they should have broke the last book up into two movies.

I liked the Harry Potter books more than I liked the movie. I don't think I've actually seen anything past the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I just remembered Little Children by Tom Perrota. I think I liked both the book and the movie equally. I'd first read the book (before I knew it was a movie, though the cover with Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson on it clued me in that it had been made a movie), then I saw the movie about a year or so afterward. The movie focused on the main characters whereas the book had sections on a number of the characters, both main and peripheral.

I didn't mind that some of it had been shaved off for the movie.

I agree! The movie was exceptionally well done and acted.

There are few book to movie adaptations that I found to be true or close to the book, overall I find that the books are always better mainly for the detailing factor and every once in a while you get an adaptation that feels its ok to change major plots from the book which can really annoy me. For me I really enjoyed these adaptations: Shopgirl, The Road, Watchman, White Oleander (although they did keep out certain things I felt they did right by it seeing as it would have made for a long movie) and theres more im sure but thats all I've got for now.

My Sister's Keeper was the best book ever. I bought copies for everyone I knew who I knew would enjoy a good read. The movie was like your said, any old story. We expect the happy ending, but I woudl have preferred the book ending, you never saw it coming.

This is one of my favorite books!!! I didn't see the movie because I heard they changed the ending. I also got copies for several people after I finished it!!

Generally I don’t like watching the movie after reading the book as I end up hating that the characters weren’t the way I imagined them myself. Rarely though, the opposite happens - I thought The Reader was such a good movie and actually better than the book!

I also tend to not read the trendy book of the moment when a movie is suddenly made from it, I end up not liking the book OR the movie in those cases - The Hours comes to mind.

Which books made from movies did you like?? Which did you hate??

I agree about The Reader - that's one where the movie was so much better than the book, lol. The movie was so much more gripping, the book moved too slowly for my liking.

I LOVED the story "I'll Take Manhattan" by Judith Krantz.
The movie was FLUFF! Wrong casting entirely. It would have made a decent movie on it's own, it just didn't represent the book well.

Saw what appears to be another sequel to the Bourne series (Robert Ludlum) at the library this weekend. That reminds me, I actually did prefer the Bourne movies to the books, ha.

I just watched "Charlie St. Cloud" and was totally disappointed. I thought the book was really sweet and touching.... and then they cast Zac Efron in the movie as the main character? WTF??? He looked like 7 years too young to play the lead role.

And The Time Travellers Wife was such a terrible movie. It didn't capture the romance of the book at all in my opinion. It was really miscast as well.

And The Time Travellers Wife was such a terrible movie. It didn't capture the romance of the book at all in my opinion. It was really miscast as well.

I thought the premise of the book had a ton of promise, but then for like 300 pages in the middle it was just two suburbanites playing house. Was the movie like that too?

Not to mention that no matter how hard I tried I could not get over the idea of an adult man suddenly showing up, acting like he knows this little girl, and them talking about how they are going to have babies and be married later on. :lol:

I also am not a fan of watching the movies after reading the book, I always end up feeling that the book was way better. Cases in point: The Da Vinci Code and The Devil Wears Prada... the books far outweighed the movies.

haven't seen the da vinci code but as far as the devil wear prada goes: LOL the film outweighs the book by far for me ....

I can't say the movie ever was better than the book well except ^ but I thought the first twilight film was fair to the book, as was the lord of the rings series.

I thought the premise of the book had a ton of promise, but then for like 300 pages in the middle it was just two suburbanites playing house. Was the movie like that too?

Not to mention that no matter how hard I tried I could not get over the idea of an adult man suddenly showing up, acting like he knows this little girl, and them talking about how they are going to have babies and be married later on. :lol:

one of the worst movies I have ever seen, like ever... won't even bother to read the book. I also thought p.s. i love you really didn't convey the message - the book was so emotional, and hilary swank totally killed it for me. that girl has zero emotion for me.