Travel Blue Ridge Parkway

kroquet

Sep 18, 2007
Has anyone driven the Parkway in it's entirety and can you give me some tips on places to stay, things to do, etc. We are thinking of going in the late spring and taking our dog, so pet friendly is a must. He loves road trips. lol

Thanks!!

I was hoping someone would respond. I am staying in Staunton, VA this week and the only pet friendly hotels I know of are the red roof inns :sad: But it is worth it for me to get in the last bit of fall hiking.

I live in Charlottesville, but I've never done the trip in its entirety. Check out this website for things to do along the parkway: http://www.virginia.org/site/features.asp?featureid=183
Humpback is very popular around this area for its hiking.

There's plenty to do in this area as well! Staunton is a beautiful little town. I was just there last weekend for a wedding. I can't wait to explore it more.

You definitely need to check out Cville--my town is absolutely beautiful. Very charming, great restaurants & tons of cute boutiques & bookstores. Plus, UVA's campus as well as Monticello are both must sees. The entire city is very dog friendly. Most restaurants on the downtown mall having outdoor seating that allow for dogs.

In addition to this there are plenty of wineries in the area. If you come to VA, you have to stop at a few. Most allow dogs on the properties (but not in the tasting rooms, of course).

I'm biased, but you should do the drive twice. It'll be pretty in the spring, but my goodness, the Blue Ridge is just absolutely stunning in the fall.

Thanks, and I wish I had thought of it sooner for this year. Definitely want to drive it in the fall.

This is the start of my fourth year here in Cville, and I still get giddy when i see the trees in the fall. The colors are just insanely pretty.

Spring here is very beautiful as well, so you'll definitely be in for a treat.