Paypal has a hold - what should I expect?

GearGirly

Oct 28, 2010
Ok, my item was listed and had 3 bids from 2 different people. One was a new buyer with zero feedback. The item sold to the buyer with zero feedback who contacted me right away, was setting up a paypal account and waiting for confirmation. The buyer then sent paypal in full within 48 hours. A few hours later Paypal froze the money stating that a dispute had been filed through ebay and I needed to respond. I checked ebay and there are no disputes on this item or any other. I went back to paypal, responded telling them what I said above, and then I waited, and waited, it says waiting for a response from the other party, but then it says hold from paypal. No response from either party for about three days now. Today I get an e-mail from buyer through ebay wondering why no tracking # and is the item on the way. I don't get it, but maybe just because I'm new to selling on ebay. The item was $400.00. I want to relist it if this was a scam, but there seems to be no way to reach paypal.

Call them for sure, because if there is a dispute and you don't respond, you can automatically lose and be out the item and the money. Also check if there is a dispute in ebay, not just paypal. Buyers can file disputes in both places now.

This sounds like the classic "buy and dispute" scam where the buyer files a claim immediately after paying but usually waits until the item is shipped. Look in your "My eBay" page and click under "Account" to the "Resolution Center" and see if there is a dispute against you from the buyer. And definitely call Paypal for advise before proceeding any further.

This sounds like the classic "buy and dispute" scam where the buyer files a claim immediately after paying but usually waits until the item is shipped. Look in your "My eBay" page and click under "Account" to the "Resolution Center" and see if there is a dispute against you from the buyer. And definitely call Paypal for advise before proceeding any further.

I haven't heard of this scam before. Can you tell us more about it?

Ok, my item was listed and had 3 bids from 2 different people. One was a new buyer with zero feedback. The item sold to the buyer with zero feedback who contacted me right away, was setting up a paypal account and waiting for confirmation. The buyer then sent paypal in full within 48 hours. A few hours later Paypal froze the money stating that a dispute had been filed through ebay and I needed to respond. I checked ebay and there are no disputes on this item or any other. I went back to paypal, responded telling them what I said above, and then I waited, and waited, it says waiting for a response from the other party, but then it says hold from paypal. No response from either party for about three days now. Today I get an e-mail from buyer through ebay wondering why no tracking # and is the item on the way. I don't get it, but maybe just because I'm new to selling on ebay. The item was $400.00. I want to relist it if this was a scam, but there seems to be no way to reach paypal.
Did paypal actually freeze the money or did you get an email from "Paypal" that says there's a problem and they froze the funds?

This is a common pfishing scheme. Usually those emails look as though they're from Paypal and they have you click in to verify information. But they aren't from Paypal and when you click, they get your login info.

Check your ebay messages and see if you have any messages. If not, immediately change your passwords on your ebay and paypal accounts.