Which bag combination for flying and dinners?

jfk100

Nov 11, 2010
I've got a GST and a maxi flap and am wondering which one I should take for flights. I love the GST but don't like the fact that it doesn't zipper on top, with the craziness of airports and luggage, etc. I normally take a long international flight, then lots of shorter domestic ones, for work trips. Love the maxi too, but it's smaller than the GST. And worry that maybe it looks too formal? I'm in publishing.

Once I get there, I'll need the bigger bag (either GST or maxi) for work-related things during the day, and then a smaller bag for the evenings for dinners with work people (I've got the medium and mini flap to choose between)-- which smaller bag should I take? I also have a small Chanel wallet to transfer my big wallet things into.

So in the end, I want to bring two bags, a big one for flying and daytime work, and a smaller one for more social occassions. Need to travel as light as possible.

Have never flown with my Chanel bags before and have a trip coming up! Oh, everything is in black caviar (I know, I'm boring but I love the material and fact that I don't have to worry about it -- maybe other colors later!):smile:

And one more note -- I was just at the Chanel boutique in Amsterdam and was told that they're only allowing you to buy one timeless classic and one wallet at a time these days?! Did you know that? My SA made an exception for me but the manager had to sign for it!

Another consideration is that I'd want to carry on both Chanel bags, maybe one inside the other. I know that takes up space but I hate the thought of checking one. All luggage into the US is unlocked these days, and could get badly crushed.

Has anyone ever checked in their Chanel bag? What happened?

i would not bring any unzippered bag in plane, to have it in and out of xrays is just too much to handle for a bag without zipper
but i guess you can always buy a purse organizer that come up with zipper to carry the things u put in your bag and put it inside the GST?

so i say it's either the GST (with something zipped to put the stuff of course) and the medium.
or maxi and medium

I know, that's a really good point about the xray machines, it's just that the GST can hold a lot more... like my laptop, book, etc. I like the purse insert idea, wonder if it'd fit into the GST half (since there's that zippered divider in the middle).

Anyone gone through the xrays with a GST?

And I need to fly a lot once I'm on one of these trips...

I would do the GST and the medium flap simply because with the GST you can put your wallet and passport in the zippered middle compartment along with tickets and whatever is important, and then if you're like me a book or magazine in the open area along with your medium flap :smile:

I would do the GST and the medium flap simply because with the GST you can put your wallet and passport in the zippered middle compartment along with tickets and whatever is important, and then if you're like me a book or magazine in the open area along with your medium flap :smile:

I agree. I have taken an open top tote/bag through x-ray and have no worries about it. Just put a scarf inside tucking the items inside to prevent any spillage. Also, if you put the gst in it's own tray then there shouldn't be a problem.

I say go with the GST & the medium (if dinners are more formal). And once ur medium flap is in the GST, I think the GST is more packed & less likely wld things fall out?
2 flaps (maxi + medium) wld be abit odd, and less versatile. Just my 2 cents worth ;)

I go through this dilemma all of the time. The best combo that works for me is a large tote (I haven't tried my GST yet - i either use my Bal Black Work or LV Mezzo), and put my Chanel M/L inside the tote (inside the dustbag).;)Then I put my laptop in my wheeled carry on. And pray I don't have to lug it around!

However that said....could a single bag like a Maxi pull double duty on this particular trip if a laptop isn't required? It's big enough to fit papers folded and a mid size agenda and all purse stuff. And a great size for dinner out!

i would not bring any unzippered bag in plane, to have it in and out of xrays is just too much to handle for a bag without zipper
but i guess you can always buy a purse organizer that come up with zipper to carry the things u put in your bag and put it inside the GST?

so i say it's either the GST (with something zipped to put the stuff of course) and the medium.
or maxi and medium

Same here. GST & Medium. I was going to suggest the same thing. Put all of your purse contents in a large zippered make-up bag or something so that you won't have to worry about something small falling out if it falls over, or worse something being pick pocketed out of your purse.
I never send my Chanel bags through Check In luggage. Too many horror stories I've read & heard about. I'd be just as worried about it being stolen from my luggage as it being crushed. Happens all the time.

I got myself a LV Trevi for the same reason. Good for travel. You are always rushed at the ariport even if you get there early enough and then I would worry about all my stuff falling out.

I would put a medium flap in my carryon luggage and carry a Medallion tote for the plane !!