What is "Art" to you?

TwiggyStar

☆★twinkle★☆
Dec 1, 2009
What is art to you? If you had to pick one thing as your favorite piece of artwork, what would it be? And why?

I have an assignment for a class, and I have no idea what "art" I should bring in. It could be anything really. I was thinking about a picture of a shoe, maybe a pretty louboutin or something.. but then everyone in class would think I'm some crazy girl. And we have to explain why it's art to us.. I'm just confused, I don't know what to do.
Plus, I hate speaking in front of class.. I have a really high grade in that class though, so maybe I'll just not show up.. that's always an option, right?

Anyways, thanks for any replies, they'll help me think of something to bring in.

To me a favourite piece of Art is something that makes me smile and feel good about.

If I had to pick one piece of Art that I currently have as a favourite it would be a sculpture, it's a piece I purchased for my husband for a milestone celebration and a lot of planning went into the selection of the piece, so it has a sentimental value as well as aesthetic value of being a lovely piece of work to look at. Everytime I walk past it I remember all the fun that went into getting the piece and the excitement that he received when opening the gift so it always makes me smile and feel good.

It doesn't matter what others think if you take a picture of a shoe, it's all about how that picture makes you feel and why it makes you feel that way.

Last edited:
Art to me is something where someone's creativity was showcased...and this could be in any form like clothes, bags, shoes...my favourite piece of art now is in edible art like cakes!

What is art to you? If you had to pick one thing as your favorite piece of artwork, what would it be? And why?

I have an assignment for a class, and I have no idea what "art" I should bring in. It could be anything really. I was thinking about a picture of a shoe, maybe a pretty louboutin or something.. but then everyone in class would think I'm some crazy girl. And we have to explain why it's art to us.. I'm just confused, I don't know what to do.
Plus, I hate speaking in front of class.. I have a really high grade in that class though, so maybe I'll just not show up.. that's always an option, right?

Anyways, thanks for any replies, they'll help me think of something to bring in.

Later on in life it won't be an option...Can't just not show up to work because your boss gave you an assignment where you'd have to speak in front of your department

Art is something visual that provokes you mentally or emotionally. As long as you are prepared to explain why a picture of a pair of Louboutins speaks to you, you'll do fine.

GL!

laloki That is a good way to put it, I didn't really think of using something that holds sentimental values, but it is definitely something to consider.

DisCo that was kind of the definition I was going off of, and I think Louboutins definitely show creativity, a cake is a good idea too, now that I think of it, there are some seriously creative and beautiful cakes out there!

olialm1 I agree, art is definitely subjective so I shouldn't care as much as what other people think as much as I should pick something that I like.

Sternchen
I know, I should face my fears and do the project. I know that it will help me and give me more experience speaking in front of people, I just get so anxious and seem to care too much about what other people are thinking about me.

natalie78 I think that is one of my problems, that art can be anything, so there are soo many things to choose from.

fatefullotus Yeah, the explanation is definitely important and that is another problem for me, it is kind of hard to explain how a shoe is artwork, I don't think many people would understand.

art is subjective. meaning if it moves you, it's art, if it doesn't but you have a reaction to it, it's still art. art doesn't always equate to 'good' art, kwim?

i think as long as you're affected by it—either negative or positive—then it's art.

art is supposed to create a reaction from the viewer.

my favorite painting is by pablo picasso titled "girl before a mirror" from 1932. i had the joy of seeing it in person at the MoMA in NYC, and ever since i saw it, i have been moved by it.

oh, and if you brought in a really gorgeous shoe like a CL, to a fashion designer, that is a work of art. again, it's all subjective. art is not always a painting or a photograph. don't take a pic of the shoe, just bring in the shoe.

Last edited:

Sternchen
I know, I should face my fears and do the project. I know that it will help me and give me more experience speaking in front of people, I just get so anxious and seem to care too much about what other people are thinking about me.

I know it's not easy to get up in front of a bunch of people and to talk. I am the same way but I must say that it has gotten MUCH easier for me in the past year. Both of my majors involve a lot of presentation-work and the anxiety/nervousness got less every time. I'm not the type who can just stand up there and wing it. I'm still very nervous, but I know that nobody will laugh at me or say mean things. ...most of them aren't even listening anyway, lol!

Wishing you lots of luck!!

Oh... and for your question: Art can be pretty much anything! A piece of furniture, a painting, a pair of shoes, a child.. whatever you want it to be :smile: Something that you find really cool and amazing

The "beauty" of art is indeed that you can decide what you think is art. And if you think a Louboutin is art, well then so be it! (I actually agree with you on that one btw ;))

But anyway, to give a more general reply: to me art is something, made by someone, that moves you. What some people see as art, and some things that are put up in musea aren't necesarily "art" cause it depends on how you feel and think about it. Real art makes you think and wonder about what you see, it really doesn't have to be pretty, just... moving you in some way... It can of course be very beautiful but that isn't a prerequisite!
Hope my reply makes some sence ;)

onegirlcreative I'd love to bring in a pair of Louboutins, unfortunately, I do not own any and don't plan to any time in the near future, therefore I am left with bringing in a picture. The thing about louboutins is that I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one affected by them, because after being told the price everyone in class would probably be in shock! haha

Sternchen
Thank you! I have actually gotten worse at giving speeches and presentations in my opinion, they used to not bother me as much, but as I got older and further along in school, my anxiety kept getting worse. Hopefully it'll lessen with more time though. I do agree though that art can be anything, that is why I'm having such difficulties trying to narrow it down.

marie-lou
Haha, my family thinks I'm crazy for thinking a louboutin is artwork, I'll never forget the first time I saw one in person, it was so exciting! haha

Great question! The shoe would be a great idea. Think about it...someone designed it. Someone put thought into the color/lines/design/etc. of the shoe. Maybe you can find an artistic photo of the shoe. Maybe something in black & white. Or maybe you find a photo of the shoe using complementary (opposite) colors, meaning the shoe is one color and the background is the opposite. You can talk about the color, the lines of the shoe, what makes the shoe desirable, what you like about the photo.

Go for it! :smile:

I think that "art" is whatever the person viewing it finds appealing to their own eyes. It's why there are so many disagreements as to what "art" really is. There are a lot of things in nature which I find to be art, such as the shapes of rocks or trees, as well as how colours blend, especially in the fall. I, personally, like anything expressive and unique, even if it is only splotches on a canvas. I draw anime and write poetry, and I find both to be forms of art, for in the end, what is art but different mediums which people use to express themselves?

I think art is anything someone does if it's for no other purpose than self-expression.

I would have to see one of my favorite pieces of art would be Starry Night by Van Gogh.

I have it as my cell phone's wallpaper. It is such a calm title but if you really look at it and consider when he painted it, you can tell how conflicted he was.