How do you carry your Kelly?

twigski

O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
I just purchased my first Kelly & was wondering how you ladies prefer to carry yours. For example to you tuck the front flap inside or keep it out? Hook the strap on? Place the lock on the metal loop & clochette on the other side? Keep the lock on the clochette & loop it through?

I occasionally let the front strap loose. Hardly hook on the long strap unless I know I will have my hand busy. Never bring the clochette and metal loop out. The sellier flap is tougher so I just put it in to the claps and twist the clap a little bit :smile:

My flap is ALWAYS fastened with the turnbuckle - tucking it in risks dumping everything out - it is not balanced with only one handle to do this.

I rarely fasten the straps - they hang loose under the flap. I have heard that this is not recommended, but in the 3 years I've had my bag, it has caused no trouble, but then I don't weigh my bag down with tons of stuff.

The clochette and lock are attached to one another and wound through the extra metal loop on the handle.

This is how my SA showed me to do it.

I keep mine 'done up' when I carry it. I have the lock on the handle and the clochette hanging from the handle. I usually carry my Kelly messenger style (I have a canvas strap.) Makes it easy to undo it since I have both hands free. :smile:

I have a 35cm and the strap is attached for convenience, flap fastened and sangles hang loose.

I tried the keeping the flap inside and the sangles strapped, not recommending this because it puts too much stress on the handle and where it is attached.

Have an organizer for my daily stuff(easier bag rotation) but, I do not load it up.

Flap tucked in, straps buckled up. Strap on (for wearing on the shoulder.
Lock and clochette hanging ("done up").....
My SA showed me how to buckle the straps but tuck in the flap in order to easily get into the bag. Mine is a sellier (box) and it is pretty stiff.....

In general I carry my Kelly in the classic way granted mine is vinatge and so I keep the contents light and I wear it on my fore arm in many cases when touring I put on the starp and swing it forward just for the safety but i really like it in the most classic way lock on the loop both starps closed and the top always in the turn lock the Kelly is not designed for tucked in look and truth is I feel this bag is made for elegant use like it deserves it and it looks so great when you wear jeans with a white t shirt and a very classic closed kelly , I do suggest you try it on several times but keep it classic best as always hope it helps birkel. Mine is box and I do not suggest you do this the INS and outs if you wear a watch or bracelet you will damage the bag . And the fact that you must remember that the Kelly holds all the weight of the bag and contents through the top it depends on the turn lock to balance and as oposed to the birkin only has two great anchor points instead of 4 of them hope it helps darling .

Last edited:
^^ birkel makes a good point, I always put the turnlock through and turn it to anchor the front of the bag - straps undone - this means in my case the turnlock is bearing all the weight - so don't load it up!
I tend to carry a lot of stuff so when I carry my Kelly I do try to purge because I have heard of turnlocks bending under too much weight! :wtf:

I wear mine with straps loose all the time, and just close the flap.
But I always have the shoulder straps hooked on, even if I done use intend to use it. It completes the kelly look, IMO.

I always keep the shoulder strap hooked on but don't use it all of the time. Rarely fasten the straps but keep the flap closed with the turnlock (most of the time!). I've never put the padlock on my Kelly - it's still in the little cloth bag.

I usually close up everything, even the straps, unless I dont have a hand free or my hands are full of make up. The clochette and lock hang on one side (with the lock being attached to the clochette's loop)

I usually have the shoulder straps attached, in case I need to go hands free, but I prefer to carry my Kelly in the hand

I love how my Kellies look with the shoulder strap attached with one side hanging in front, encircling the bag and coming up from the back to attach on the other side of the handle.

As for the flap and straps, I always close and turn the clasp but I rarely secure the straps around the front. I like the look of having them behind the flap.

God I love my Kelly bags!! So versitile!!

My flap is ALWAYS fastened with the turnbuckle - tucking it in risks dumping everything out - it is not balanced with only one handle to do this.

I rarely fasten the straps - they hang loose under the flap. I have heard that this is not recommended, but in the 3 years I've had my bag, it has caused no trouble, but then I don't weigh my bag down with tons of stuff.

The clochette and lock are attached to one another and wound through the extra metal loop on the handle.

This is how my SA showed me to do it.

I agree with India....this is exactly how I carry my Kelly!!:tup: