Help! My SO wants to buy me a new handbag this wkend but what handbag??

PixieGirl

Nov 13, 2007
A month or so ago I mentioned to my SO that I was a bit jealous of my sister because she just goes to the store and tries on all kinds of fabulous bags and then leaves with one. It seems a bit goofy but with all the bags I have, I have never had the thrill of trying on handbags in a store and being able to take it home with me. I've always searched and researched for a great online deal, waited til it was on sale or something and ordered it.

Anyway as a surprise, my boyfriend is buying me a bag this weekend when we are in NYC.. (we aren't very good at surprises, somehow always spills!) but I have no idea what kind of bag to hone in on. There are soo many bags to look at so maybe ya'll can steer me in the right direction.

My current bags in rotation are a Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Mini in Orange, Treesje Asher in Plum and a Louis Vuitton Neverful GM

What I want:
a bag 400-650$
I want a bag that looks fabulous as a shoulder or arm bag but I can also wear cross body when I am traveling
I do like color so color is good or neutrals, not a huge fan of black unless its just awesome b/c my winter coat is black and I don't want it to completely blend in.
The lighter the better, my Treesje is a bit on the heavy side but I love it so I still carry it
Nothing too small b/c I do like to stash my scarf, gloves, etc. and I can carry off large bags as I am 5'10.

Are there any hobo bags that can be converted to a cross body bag?

Anyway, any suggestions would be great. We are moving to right outside London from the US so I am excited to start off our new city with a great new bag.

Last edited:
Do they sell Linea Pelle's in stores or just online? I've only ever seen them online.

In the Marc by Marc Jacobs bags, do they carry any that can be carried on the shoulder and worn across your body?

Can't tell you which bag to purchase, but definitely check out the NYC Louis Vuitton store, and in the same area, Chanel, Saks Fifth Ave, Bergdorf Goodman, department stores with tons of handbags. A little bit downtown, must hit Macy's ground floor where the handbags are. Marc Jacobs is in SoHo I believe.

I think you will just hit on the one that you love when you see it, that clicks with you at the moment! That's what I do when I shop in person, I don't go in with any expectations, if it hits me the right way, it's usually the best direction.

Can't tell you which bag to purchase, but definitely check out the NYC Louis Vuitton store, and in the same area, Chanel, Saks Fifth Ave, Bergdorf Goodman, department stores with tons of handbags. A little bit downtown, must hit Macy's ground floor where the handbags are. Marc Jacobs is in SoHo I believe.

I think you will just hit on the one that you love when you see it, that clicks with you at the moment! That's what I do when I shop in person, I don't go in with any expectations, if it hits me the right way, it's usually the best direction.

Ha, no expectations, thats what Im afraid of. I will go in and have no idea what I want and want everything. My only definite right now is I want a bag that can be worn crossbody in a pinch and has soft leather.